I think I am done with sams club.

I don't think Sams Club has much to offer me. None nearby anyway. I just let my BJ's membership expire last month after probably 15 years. Prices not that great. Can do better with sales elsewhere. Poor customer service. I would consider Costco but it is a long trip for me.

5AcresAndAFool

Have you done the math to see if/how you wold benefit from the higher tier membership? With what you spend-it sounds like you may benefit.

Yes, spending 2000 a year I would get back 40 bucks, there are other benefits but they are of no importance to me. I basically can have more stuff shipped since there is no minimum on "free" shipping.

I already pay for prime and get "free" shipping. I use many of the perks prime offers.

Reactions: CKN
The stores I commonly visit; Trader Joes, Safeway, Costco, Target all collect the carts and sanitize the handles. I'm fine collecting the carts from the parking lot if they add me to the payroll.
One cart, the cart you need to use, not carts. You didn’t rent that cart. It was a service of the retailer. Do you bitch when the Costco bathroom is out of paper towels? Or not “sanitized” to your complete entitled satisfaction?

Been a Costco member for the last 20 yrs, just joined Sams club this past weekend, wife wants to comparison shop, noticed on a lot of their paper goods are the same as Costco just rewrapped in WM packaging.

Sorry you don't have a Costco nearby. Mine is like 2 miles away and it gets a lot of $$$ from us.

We tried Costco for one year and went BACK to sam’s. We’ve been sam’s members for 20 years but last time we moved we landed 15 minutes from a Costco. Paid the $60 to try it out. Honestly right from the start we were turned off. The two biggest factors were they were always so busy and they don’t take American Express. (Didn’t realize this at sign up) The other huge turn off is their particular location. It’s in a horribly busy area and getting in and out is a real headache. There are also pitchmen stationed all over our Costco trying to sell everything from widows to cutlery. I hate that! Then there are no self checkout lanes like our sam’s. Going into Costco means waiting 10 minutes in line before you hit the cashier. Not fun especially if you have one or two items. Costco here stops you and has to count your items before letting you out the door. Our sam’s just scans your receipt and out you go.

I’m sure not all clubs are the same. But in my area sam’s is such a better shopping atmosphere and experience. I’ve never been hassled to upgrade. Easy in and out. The carts are always available near the entrance but I always bring one in from the lot. Never wait in line to check out.

One thing about club shopping is be aware of the pricing. I find that certain items are cheaper at Walmart.

Costco used to only take American Express, but they moved their credit card business to Visa, so now they take that. They take debit cards of any ilk. You can't blame them for wanting to maximize their profits by accepting only one type of credit card. Owning a business and taking credit cards is extortion by bank, but Costco tries to minimize the cost of that.

I have never seen an instance in the Costcos near me where the pitch people were obnoxious.

I get the $120 cost of an executive membership back and then some, every year.

My Costco has self checkout.

Costco is definitely more crowded in my area, because it's more popular to begin with. Can't tell you how many times I've driven by a mostly empty Sam's lot to get to a packed Costco. If you value an empty store above all else, by all means go to Sams Club.

Sams Club is basically Walmart. If you are happy with Walmart, you'll love Sams. I would never buy groceries at Walmart and likewise with Sams.

Costco has the best meat and produce available in this area. HEB (a Texas grocery store chain) is a close 2nd. Everything else including Walmart, Sams and Randalls/Safeway is a step backwards down the quality scale.

Costco has an excellent selection of alcohol and high quality store brand wines.

Me personally, I have not been back to Sams since Costco opened in my area, an event I had hoped to happen for a long time as I am a native of the PNW and remember shopping at Costco in the 80s.

YMMV, but doesn't really. Sams - is no Costco.

It really depends on where you're located. I live in an areas that is heavy with Costcos everywhere. It's typically less than 10 minutes to get to my nearest Costco, and that's dealing with several traffic signals. They also have the lowest gas prices and a high quality additive.

I had a Sam's Club membership. My insisted on getting it for a certain item that only they had. I think we renewed once with a $20 gift card back. I'd occasionally shop there, but Costco was always more convenient. Once I worked a short term job in a town with a Sam's Club (and a Costco). I'd go there for their hot dogs, which I found better. The one I went to had Nathan's with Coke products - especially Cherry Coke. Also - the lines were almost always shorter than Costco.

It doesn't make sense for me to have Sam's Club membership any more since the closest one is maybe a 25 mile drive. There are very few around here, and certainly none near Silicon Valley where I used to work. And it's not like Walmart doesn't have a huge presence, but they've decided not to bring Sam's Club.

CKN

Costco used to only take American Express, but they moved their credit card business to Visa, so now they take that. They take debit cards of any ilk. You can't blame them for wanting to maximize their profits by accepting only one type of credit card. Owning a business and taking credit cards is extortion by bank, but Costco tries to minimize the cost of that.

I have never seen an instance in the Costcos near me where the pitch people were obnoxious.

I get the $120 cost of an executive membership back and then some, every year.

My Costco has self checkout.

Costco is definitely more crowded in my area, because it's more popular to begin with. Can't tell you how many times I've driven by a mostly empty Sam's lot to get to a packed Costco. If you value an empty store above all else, by all means go to Sams Club.

Sams Club is basically Walmart. If you are happy with Walmart, you'll love Sams. I would never buy groceries at Walmart and likewise with Sams.

Costco has the best meat and produce available in this area. HEB (a Texas grocery store chain) is a close 2nd. Everything else including Walmart, Sams and Randalls/Safeway is a step backwards down the quality scale.

Costco has an excellent selection of alcohol and high quality store brand wines.

Me personally, I have not been back to Sams since Costco opened in my area, an event I had hoped to happen for a long time as I am a native of the PNW and remember shopping at Costco in the 80s.

YMMV, but doesn't really. Sams - is no Costco.

I would agree the level of service/employees is higher at Costco. I have both Sam's Club and Costco. The vast majority of dollars at Costco is spent on prescription drugs and gasoline. Just this past week-my local Costco just added self service check outs. If the wife and I buy anything else at Costco it's usually just a few items. We are happy to see the self service checkouts. However-it still doesn't beat the self service APP that Sam's Club has that let's you scan your items without even removing them from your cart.

I buy gas at either one-they are always the same price. I don't car about "top tier" fuel as my truck hasn't blown up yet from using Sam's Club non-top tier fuel.

BTW-Costco isn't profitable until the membership fees are added in to their balance sheet-just FYI.

BTW-Costco isn't profitable until the membership fees are added in to their balance sheet-just FYI.
I believe that's a myth. Don't get me wrong - their membership fees are an extremely important part of their business, but they do make a slim profit on their merchandise.

CKN

I believe that's a myth. Don't get me wrong - their membership fees are an extremely important part of their business, but they do make a slim profit on their merchandise.

Yes they do...but not enough to keep them in business w/o membership fees.

$4.3 Billion dollars a year and growing from membership fees, zero margin on merchandise/food/gasoline sales is a sustainable business model where everybody wins. The question for the consumer is whether the annual $60-$120 cost is worth it.

I shop at PUBLIX for their buy one , get one free deals and regular $10 off gas card deals.

Really no need for me to pay for membership to Sam’s, Costco or B.Js

Hmm, no one at my local Sams bothers me except the greeter who wants to see my card (show them my digital copy).

I honestly loved shopping there because it’s only 5 minutes away and I can purchase and pay through the app on my phone. No more waiting in long lines.

The only recently started carrying 5w-20 oil at my store. Because no one drives a Ford. Doesn’t carry in stock tires that fit my F-150. Gas not Top Tier unlike Costco. Because your car is a jalopy.

Indifferent management you know what I mean?

Costco isn't all that great of a deal. I do know they have good quality stuff and customer service is great, but I just don't think I need to buy that much stuff.

Target and Walmart with their free shipping is great. I cannot find a reason to use Amazon prime when their price is higher than Target and their return is only 30 days. It is great for rare items but not for everyday stuff. BTW, Target will price match Walmart, Amazon, Best Buys, and a few other big box places too (need to check), so that's what I do all the time, price match and walk out of Target with Walmart and Amazon price.

I would agree the level of service/employees is higher at Costco. I have both Sam's Club and Costco. The vast majority of dollars at Costco is spent on prescription drugs and gasoline. Just this past week-my local Costco just added self service check outs. If the wife and I buy anything else at Costco it's usually just a few items. We are happy to see the self service checkouts. However-it still doesn't beat the self service APP that Sam's Club has that let's you scan your items without even removing them from your cart.

I buy gas at either one-they are always the same price. I don't car about "top tier" fuel as my truck hasn't blown up yet from using Sam's Club non-top tier fuel.

My dad get med from Costco all the time, you don't need a membership for that. Just tell the front checker you are going to the pharmacy and they won't stop you.

I shop at PUBLIX for their buy one , get one free deals and regular $10 off gas card deals.

Really no need for me to pay for membership to Sam’s, Costco or B.Js

Publix is an awesome grocery store. When we go down to Cocoa Beach, there’s one within walking distance to the hotel. Nice if you want to be cheap and get food there, or just go for snacks, fresh fruit, cold beer, football sized avocados etc.

The only Sams Club we had near us shut down. Now we have 2 B&Js and a Costco. Unfortunately, the only one near me is the B&J ... if I was closer to Costco, I'd go once in a while.