I think I am done with sams club.

Costco pitches their "Executive" membership in a similar way. We get a "bonus" check which is worth roughly our annual membership fee most years. I can see it not being worthwhile for people who don't buy as much there. A lot of our grocery bill is spent at Costco about three hours away from where we live, as the local grocery stores are pricey.

3 hours away? Holy smokes. I no longer have an excuse to not go to either or at 45-60 mins away. Lol.

We are happy with Sams Club, we also have a Costco nearby less then a 10 min drive. AS much as we want to like Costco, we do not.
Never had any experience being pressured to upgrade our membership at Sams Club. I dont know how that could be, you renew once a year. Heck, we renew right from the App on our phone, dont ever talk to anyone.

Anyway, we are at Sams club every week, nothing is perfect but fits our need over Costco.
I love the Sams Club app on our phone, no waiting in line to check out, we scan our stuff ourselves right on our phone anyplace in the store and walk right passed the cash registers out of the store. I love not having to wait in line. BTW- Walmart now offers this too.

Last I checked, Walmart and Sams club have similar prices.
Most major stores have similar prices but they all vary on the merchandise that you can buy. The warehouse clubs appeal to a more upscale buyer if you looking for some higher quality products that can not be found in other stores, seafood and produce come to mind. Then of course similar factory products/items are of similar prices but larger quantities in the clubs = sometimes less expensive.

We have a Sams Club membership for many years now and about to also join the Walmart membership, we shop at both stores and find the membership a big benefit, if not just for the fact we dont have to go to a register to check out, then buying the gas for our cars easily pays for the membership of both places by itself. Never mind the free delivery on any item we want from Walmart.

Last edited:
Took Sam's Club offer for a one year free membership. Its $45 normally I believe. In my first 7 months of use it has saved me enough on fuel alone to pay for a membership. It's nice to have when traveling as you can usually find the cheapest fuel in that area. My vehicles run as good on their fuel as any I can buy in this area. Another bonus is that there is usually a Wal-Mart nearby as well as other major retailers requiring less trips

Inside I buy meat. At about 10am the case is stocked. The selection is good at that time. Going today to get a big bag of microfiber towels and cruze the meat selections

Will I renew when I have to pay? Probably. The closest Costco is 15 miles through tough traffic. Sam's is 3.5 miles away. Have tried a few of their Member's Mark products and all have performed well. Especially the Vitamin D3 I got there to fend of the Covid. 😁 (Wood being Knocked upon)

Last edited:
If you don't need it don't upgrade, both Sam's and Costco pushed their higher membership levels. We do have higher levels at both, and both have paid for themselves. Shipping is free at the higher level at Sam's and my wife sends alot of stuff to her mom. Costco we've gotten enough back to pay for itself.

We tried Costco for one year and went BACK to sam’s. We’ve been sam’s members for 20 years but last time we moved we landed 15 minutes from a Costco. Paid the $60 to try it out. Honestly right from the start we were turned off. The two biggest factors were they were always so busy and they don’t take American Express. (Didn’t realize this at sign up) The other huge turn off is their particular location. It’s in a horribly busy area and getting in and out is a real headache. There are also pitchmen stationed all over our Costco trying to sell everything from widows to cutlery. I hate that! Then there are no self checkout lanes like our sam’s. Going into Costco means waiting 10 minutes in line before you hit the cashier. Not fun especially if you have one or two items. Costco here stops you and has to count your items before letting you out the door. Our sam’s just scans your receipt and out you go.

I’m sure not all clubs are the same. But in my area sam’s is such a better shopping atmosphere and experience. I’ve never been hassled to upgrade. Easy in and out. The carts are always available near the entrance but I always bring one in from the lot. Never wait in line to check out.

One thing about club shopping is be aware of the pricing. I find that certain items are cheaper at Walmart.

Interesting.
We have memberships for both Costco and Sams.
We would go solely Costco because it is closest to us. However, there are several things that we purchase regularly at Sams that Costco either does not have an equivalent to, or are Sams branded and are a better value (enough so, that it pays for the membership.)
I have never been harangued at Sams to upgrade, but have been several times at Costco. Costco employee comes up to me, grabs my card out of my hand (without asking), runs my card through a scanner and starts the pitch. I grab my card back, and inform the guy that if my current level of membership is inadequate, that I'm fine with taking all my business to Sams. He then looks down at his scanner and sheepishly admits that upgrading would not be of benefit to me.
However, Costco is far superior in shopping experience to Sams (except for the time they accused me of ripping off the postage stamps I paid for.) Well, that's another story.

We live 5 minutes from a Sam's Club and 15 minutes from a Costco. Used to have memberships with both.
Then the local Costco called the police on a young disabled Army vet that was (legally) concealed carrying in the store after an associate spotted his weapon. Quietly evacuated the store around him as they called 911. Didn't speak to him, and he was unaware the police were called on him. When he and his girlfriend left the store, multiple policemen shouted conflicting commands at him (like hands up, freeze, get on the ground, etc.). As he raised his shirt to demonstrate he indeed was concealed carrying (he couldn't get a word in with at least 3 officers screaming at him), he was shot multiple times. Security camera footage was mysteriously erased after it was in police custody.
Since Costco handled this so poorly my wife insists we no longer shop there. I don't disagree.
On another note, I used to buy all my tires at Discount Tire. When I compared the out the door price with Sam's Club, Discount was not competitive on the last 3 sets I bought.

I used to have a Costco membership. Had it for many years. Since we are empty nesters now it's just not worth it anymore.
We don't eat that much and I don't need to drive 5 miles to save a few cents a gallon on gas. Sams Club? No way. Im done with all
the membership BS. I don't even have an Amazon account.

Sam's club has abandoned whole demographic areas when there are Costco's nearby. I agree that Costco is overcrowded and usually off the beaten path with their store locations. Nothing more frustrating than driving around a 20 acre parking lot with zero parking spaces available. My daughter works at Sams and enjoys it, but I pointed out she would make substantially more money and have better benefits if she worked at Costco.......

One thing I do like also about Sam’s Club better is the automotive section is better. I don’t have a Costco near me so I don’t know how theirs is but BJs automotive department really lacks behind Sam’s.

I haven't been to Samsclub since January, There are a few things there that are unbeatable values such as garden hoses and a few other things, however I get turned off because I got a sales pitch about upgrading our membership. Not interested. I go 4 times a year on average, spend 4 to 5 hundred dollars and im done. I have gotten the sales pitch many times over the past few years. Tired of it.

My membership expired in march and im over it. Tired of being pushed by to upgrade memberships, sign up for this blah blah blah. We buy TP and Paper Towels on Amazon now among many other things delivered right to our door, just as cheap or cheaper, no sales pitch.

Im sure someone will mention Costco, im sure its great, the nearest one is over an hour away on a good day, Sometimes its an hour and a half.

Not that it matters to Sams. but thier never ending push to make an extra buck with their annoying sales pitch, which may save some money, but overall has people breaking even or loosing on the deal, has completely turned me away. I cant fault the cashier, they obviously have some sort of quota.

Plus if I were to go back I have to go to customer service desk to get a new membership my membership otherwise it will be backdated to may when mine expired if I pay at register and I will "waste" several months of membership. And Im sure they will push their B.S. savings programs on me.

I dislike amazon for various reasons but not enough to not use them. Its easy, fast and efficient. And do they really treat employees worse than walmart/sams?

Yes I know costco is the greatest thing since sliced bread and treat employees better but I dont want to tie up almost 3 hours driving round trip. I would rather just get paper towels at walgreens at that point.

Can you tell im getting old and cranky?

Have you done the math to see if/how you wold benefit from the higher tier membership? With what you spend-it sounds like you may benefit.

Yes! I quit shopping at Sam's Club and cancelled my account after their tire fiasco. My parents purchased tires for my car as a Christmas gift and was told I didn't need a membership for free balance and rotation, as my parents were members. Then it was i guess we can do it after looking up my parents info. On my third trip it was " Sorry you don't have a membership and we can't service your tires until you do." Haven't been back again.

Back