I need the best penetrating oil

What I found most helpful in the below comparison was that Liquid Wrench obtains like results as Kroil, at 20 percent of the cost, and much more readily available.

View attachment 143261
I'm going to agree with the acetone-atf mix. I use it and it works great
IMG_20190930_085645930.jpg
IMG_20190930_100435599.jpg

Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi
Kroil is very good. Also put it in my Montana xtreme to clean my rifle barrels.

Kroil was a favourite by many service members doing long range shooting. I gave heard only positive feedback from the product but never used it personally. I think kerosene would be okay since it's really thin.

I've used kroil it works great , you just have to order it, cant get it locally.
Seems to have gotten pretty expensive though!
Kriol.jpg

Seems to have gotten pretty expensive though!View attachment 177081
And it's not that good either, should be better, but doesn't actually stand above PB Blaster for the most part.

You'll struggle to beat this.

And it's not that good either, should be better, but doesn't actually stand above PB Blaster for the most part.

You'll struggle to beat this.
ls that right? l thought most guys liked Kroil better. I'll check out that other stuff.

try schaeffers pentro 90,,works well,,if not liquid wrench from local hardware store,make sure you use a couple of applications and time to soak in,,or heat with a torch only one component

I enjoy reading this penetrating oil thread and what people claim about their favorites. A couple of years ago I managed a laboratory study of several commercially available POs. I don’t claim to have tested all POs or even all of those named in this thread. I did test some of the POs discussed in this thread. We looked at viscosity, surface tension, creep, and rust prevention. Other characteristics were looked at but they aren’t pertinent to this thread.

Low viscosity and low surface tension promote penetration and creep. Rust prevention is self-explanatory.

I can’t share the specific test results because they belong to the company I did the work for. However, I can provide general terms. Surface tension ranged from about 23 dynes/cm to about 30 dynes/cm. Some of the more popular POs had the highest surface tensions which means they would be the worst penetrators.

Some of the most popular POs had poor rust prevention characteristics. One or two actually seemed to promote rust.

Maybe it’s a coincidence, but the two best all around performers in the study met the requirements of Mil-PRF-81309G which is actually a specification for a rust preventive. The current revision of the spec is "H".

Back