I-95 NY - FL and back observations..

I live in Northwestern Virginia and drive to Florida a few times per year. The fastest route uses 95 from Fredericksburg south, but I hate that stretch of 95 (to Richmond). It's the worst part of our 900+ mile drive. We also have the option to go due south from our home, hit 64, which we take over to 288 west of Richmond. It's slower, but easier on the nerves.
I’m west of Winchester and go 81-77-26-95.

I’m west of Winchester and go 81-77-26-95.
Do you not get tied up on those roads for the most part? Been caught up in gridlock numerous times on 81. Used to lay over in Roanoke Virginia. which was a good place to stop. 26 and 77 gets very heavy but for the most part keeps moving. Going on a run to Queens in May and just not sure which way to go.

I do the trip regularly. I now avoid I95 and travel N on Rt 77 to 81, through PA. As my destination is somewhat upstate NY.

I95 can be an hour faster, but I the occasional DC, NY and NYC traffic jam can be long enough to make the I95 version (18 hour) one day trip into 2 full days. It is not worth the risk for me.

Rt 81 in VA:

Y8IO3IE.jpg
We just drove that route from the north on our last trip.
81-77 all the way.

My favorite stretch of I-95 is extreme northern Maryland. Excellent pavement and lighting. Looks so nice and maintained.
That's my travel story. Tell me about yours.
Brings back memories. I drove from Dutchess county, NY to FL countless times between 1998-2016, mostly in winter. My wife and young daughter always looked forward to stopping at the FL welcome center which serves fresh orange juice tastings. Felt good to sip OJ under a palm tree, out of the sub-zero NY weather.

For some reason we always caught the worst weather in Maryland. Either blizzard or torrential downpour. So I have no idea what Maryland looks like. Our last few trips we switched from I-95 to I-81 due to long delays around DC and Philly.

Do you not get tied up on those roads for the most part? Been caught up in gridlock numerous times on 81. Used to lay over in Roanoke Virginia. which was a good place to stop. 26 and 77 gets very heavy but for the most part keeps moving. Going on a run to Queens in May and just not sure which way to go.
SC and NC had several lane closures due to construction. GA had a couple also. Lost 20-30 minutes each on. Traffic wasn’t real heavy. Even Fredericksburg north wasn’t bad. I traveled on a Tuesday Wednesday. Yes when there’s an accident on 81 it can get bad. Always went thru Charlotte before rush hour. The years long construction just north of Charlotte has been finished. All that was to put in toll lanes. Never had a problem on 26.
81 should have been 6 lanes 20 years ago.

I-75 over I-95 for me. The Dad took I-95 to Savannah GA (I do not know if directly, I don't know my Georgia that well) and then South Carolina (same) and what he told me.. "You can have it." Detailed being blatantly cut off by truckers in his Murano. I was only half listening because I told him.. "I told you to take I-75! Would have taken you all the way there (and only maybe added an hour to account for going more West.)" I then showed him Waze.

BTW: Radar detectors are soooooo 90s. Get Waze.....

I may actually be taking a trip on a Spring Break of sorts. I will have to drive through Virginia. Rather than be on any part of I-95 through NoVA and/or DC.. My go-to is this: In essence, a "Go North to go South." (Sounds dumb, but you cut out most tolls.)

Garden State Parkway North from anywhere South of the Exit 125/127/129 bridge split. Also known as the Governor Alfred E. Driscoll Bridge. Check this out.

600px-Driscoll-Viesser-Edison_Bridges_-_August_30,_2020.jpg

Then take 287 North from that .

Take it all the way to 80 West .

Take 80 West into PA. $3 toll leaving NJ. (There is one $2 toll Parkway North before that, and possibly a 75 cent toll or greater before that as well, depending on how far South you have came from.) Be sure to gas up at T/A Travel Center in Columbia NJ, Exit 4A-B-C before you get into PA.

Take Exit 260 for 81 South.

Screenshot_20230308-080915_Chrome.jpg

And from there.. you're on 81 South. Through PA (nice drive).. through VA (DO NOT SPEED IN VIRGINIA. DO THAT OTHER PLACES)

Virginia-Speeding-e1485892410103.jpg

Handle-Reckless-Driving-Tickets-In-Virginia.jpg

And you'll eventually hit I-77 which will get you to I-75 somehow.. Charleston SC, Tampa FL, Miami FL. The NICE way. Not sure how or where to cut over to Charlotte NC but maybe through Tennessee idk.

In my experiences, I feel is a nicer road, less police though not unheard of to see them.. they seem to focus on I-95.. and what you've spent in an extra tank of gas is probably less than tolls would have been. NJ, MD, DC area, PA if you're taking PA Turnpike.. tolls, tolls, tolls, tolls. I outlined 3 tolls I would hit totaling about $6, actually $5.75. I'm sure it would be more than that.. and actually less than an extra tank of gas to offset those highway miles, driving the speed limit in Virginia. We Northerners are wary of the Virginia Staties and County and local Sheriffs and police.. as far as an alternative to I-95.

Apologies on the lengthy post but. Might be taking a liberty of a trip soon . Wanted to outline how I would do it. To avoid snaking toll roads, as well as Maryland's Speed Camera Enforcement system. The one on 80 in PA is way more West than Exit 260...

They finally changed the law in Virginia. If you're in a 70MPH zone, 85MPH or higher is reckless. One of the Virginia legislators didn't want to raise the limit for reckless driving because he's an attorney and makes lots of money defending people charged with that (and was stupid enough to actually admit as such to a reporter).

Such a principled bunch, those Virginia politicians.

My family and I do the east coast trip to Florida by car in an 8 passenger minivan every year.
18 hours non stop from NY/NJ area.
It saves us money going by car, as round trip gasoline cost is about $300, but if we took a plane, it would cost about $3,000 in plane tickets, and then we would have to rent a car for $1000 once we get there.

Some of my children drive so every 3 to 4 hours we switch drivers.
The rest stops are really clean and nice.

The ride is very relaxing and smooth. We have DVD screen in the minivan, and we bring several nice movies with us.
The minivan's AC is ice cold, and the Honda 3.5 V6 is so smooth and powerful.
Our Honda Odyssey does 1900 RPM at 65 MPH with a fully loaded van with 7+ people in it.

The thing I notice the most, is the flucation in gas taxes between different states.
The Red states seem to have very low gas taxes, and the blue states have the high gas taxes.
So we plan ahead, and try to only buy gas in the Red states.

Florida is a very nice place to visit. Crime is low in most places, and everyone is friendly.
It's a shame Disney World has raised their prices so much in the past year.
Getting a little too expensive for a family of 7.

So we've stopped going to Disney World and instead just rent an airbnb by a major beach.

Plenty of Walmart's around for cheap groceries, air beds, etc.

I use a V1. I don’t believe VA can detect them. And if waze indicates a cop ahead, I hide it under the seat for a bit.
Under seat with it off? Radio based equipment emits RF that is detectable. Cop does not to see it to know you got a radar detector if its on.

Under seat with it off? Radio based equipment emits RF that is detectable. Cop does not to see it to know you got a radar detector if its on.

Back in the day, they would know you had a detector if they POPed it on or Instant On and they say brake lights.

I believe Waze has taken over. Yeah, yeah, yeah.. they say it can detect "bursts" up ahead, and it has come a long way since my BMW Factory Radar (option on 1986 325es. I believe M-Technic 1 package. BMW guys please confirm. ETA engine.. VIN WBAAB5402G9673374. I will never forget the VIN of that car. Probably a shell in a scrap yard by now) that I called a "Microwave detector" for X-band.. that still SOMETIMES indicated a police car, as some cars had OLD equipment (this was in 2002.. some cars still run K or Ka. Some small department budgets may not have them at all.)

Except on empty roads without fellow Wazers, I've converted to using Waze. The radar detector game... 1. They got you beat 2. I've always felt cops don't like detectors. Stay out of Virginia with those .

EDIT: Cops maybe even have "Speedcar" (?) where they can get your speed from the other side, opposite direction at speed.. though I would question accuracy on that.

Last edited:
Back in the day, they would know you had a detector if they POPed it on or Instant On and they say brake lights.

I believe Waze has taken over. Yeah, yeah, yeah.. they say it can detect "bursts" up ahead, and it has come a long way since my BMW Factory Radar (option on 1986 325es. I believe M-Technic 1 package. BMW guys please confirm. ETA engine.. VIN WBAAB5402G9673374. I will never forget the VIN of that car. Probably a shell in a scrap yard by now) that I called a "Microwave detector" for X-band.. that still SOMETIMES indicated a police car, as some cars had OLD equipment (this was in 2002.. some cars still run K or Ka. Some small department budgets may not have them at all.)

Except on empty roads without fellow Wazers, I've converted to using Waze. The radar detector game... 1. They got you beat 2. I've always felt cops don't like detectors. Stay out of Virginia with those .

EDIT: Cops maybe even have "Speedcar" (?) where they can get your speed from the other side, opposite direction at speed.. though I would question accuracy on that.

Interesting writeup. Brake lights? Every cop I have seen is it aiming at you. Brake lights are behind you LOL

Cop has to have the detection equipment, and my suspicion is that most in VA do not. After all, that equipment isn't free.

I live in N.W. Florida so I-10 is my normal route, but regarding Bucees, we always stop at one because of the brisket sandwiches and fresh made potato chips. If you've never had one you are missing out.

I don't see many actual trip posts on this site. Figured I would add one.

For those who are out west, I-95 is the main thoroughfare on the east coast which travelers use from Maine to Florida. Done it a few times. Anyhoo...

I've noticed that aside from pickup trucks, there are many more sedans in the south, especially the closer you get to Florida, than compared to NY. I wonder why that is.
On I-95, people who are driving slow in the left lane will actually move over, unlike drivers in Long Island who seem to slow down on purpose when you get a little closer. God forbid you flash to pass in Long Island, NY..
The further south you go, the more friendly and talkative people are.
The roads are infinitely better outside of NY.
I love poking around Love truck stops. The snacks, the jerky, the truck gadgets and radios. My family gets a kick every time they announce that "customer X, your shower is ready!"
Georgia seems empty on I-95 on their respective stretch on I-95.
Fireworks which you can buy at stores anywhere on I-95 are a rip-off. Can't blame them for taking advantage of the travelers. PA is the place to go price-wise.
Buc'ees is cool but overrated. The brisket sandwich, however, is awesome.
My wife's 2022 Ford Explorer is awesome in every way.
I hate the heat, but FL at night is amazing.
Driving through Richmond, VA, Baltimore, MD, and DC in the early morning hours makes me want to PIT Maneuver people. Horrible and overly aggressive drivers.
Indian River fruit stores on the side of I-95 in Florida have awesome flavored Pecans. My orange and lemon trees in a box are alive, well, and fruit producing in my bay window in NY.
Regular windshield washer fluid is no match for southern highway bugs. If you're hungry, just stick your head out the window..
Apple Maps did a pretty good job of navigation, between re-routes and spotting speed traps.
NY drivers always get a kick out of each other while in the south, but as soon as we enter NY, we will give each other the finger.
My favorite stretch of I-95 is extreme northern Maryland. Excellent pavement and lighting. Looks so nice and maintained.
Sleep if you have to. I saw plenty of swerving and slower drivers who were clearly dozing off.

That's my travel story. Tell me about yours.
Did you stop at South of the Border?

Back