work at Buc-ee's?

Per Fidelity the most common 401K plan is a 100% match up to 3%, then a 50% match up to 5%. So to max out, an employee contribution of 5% would equate to the company kicking in 4% for a 9% total contribution. Again, this is a "typical" plan and there are exceptions in both directions of course. My plan has defined levels based on years of service...I contribute 4.5% and employer contributes 12.5% for a total of 17%.
Curious, was that in lieu of doing away with something like a pension plan?

Mine is similar, 6% match at 100%, additional match based on age and years of service, which was added in lieu of doing away with a pension.

Curious, was that in lieu of doing away with something like a pension plan?

Mine is similar, 6% match at 100%, additional match based on age and years of service, which was added in lieu of doing away with a pension.
Not sure on the history but I work for a state university so it wouldn't surprise me if there used to be a pension. It's a 401a which means mandatory for all employees (good thing for those that wouldn't otherwise save).

Not sure on the history but I work for a state university so it wouldn't surprise me if there used to be a pension. It's a 401a which means mandatory for all employees (good thing for those that wouldn't otherwise save).
A 401A is a defined contribution plan - not really a 401K. Its sort of a pension plan - without a guaranteed return but a guaranteed contribution. You usually get no allocation choice I don't think either - so thats sort of like a pension also, but its managed by a fiduciary.

My wife had one at a school district she worked previously. They put in more than she did - I think she put in 5% and they did 7% or something like that. It was also required.

I'm an assistant store manager at an auto parts store in one of the highest COL places in the country and I make like $22/hour so those wages actually seem really good for what they are.
Seems like we need to strike. California law requires that a mechanic that has his own tools be paid $31/hr. I don't make anywhere near that. I just got shot down for a raise so I'm looking for another job. I don't like heavy equipment anyway.

The guy that had a baby with my cousin started at McDonald's making $18/hr. Now 2 years later he's a crew leader and makes $26.

Right now jobs in my area are scarce.
I have moved 6 times - 5 times out of state - to change jobs or improve my living situation. Some were allures of grandeur that didn't work out, but several did. I am glad I did all of them, I learned a lot from them all. I have been in my current location longer than anywhere else in my adult life - so my kids never had to move schools once in middle school. Now that there in college, I am thinking of moving again. Needs and wants change. Sometimes the grass is greener.

Really? 100% match? Even our defined benefit plan (401K portion) was cut to 50% at times throughout my career.
Anyway, if people don't read that and see 100% interest on their money, they're not very good at math.
Our union negotiated years ago that our retirement is paid for and then 100% matched. Not sure of the math on that since I pay $0.

If you would consider moving all the way across the country, here in North AL (Huntsville area) employers can't find enough good people. Might be worth at least some googling....there's even a Buc-ee's here! :)
More people need to vote with their feet. Why skilled people stay in these underpaying high cost areas baffles me.

If you would consider moving all the way across the country, here in North AL (Huntsville area) employers can't find enough good people. Might be worth at least some googling....there's even a Buc-ee's here! :)
It's hard to move. I have lived in this house or near it almost 50 years. My wife has dreams for it that we would like to see completed before we move.

It's hard to move. I have lived in this house or near it almost 50 years. My wife has dreams for it that we would like to see completed before we move.
Have you looked into mobile mechanic in the oil patch, or seasonal stuff in the mines up North. If you have little kids at home that isn't possible, but if you can swing it you can pay off bills and finish houses in a hurry. Best part is the pay is great and once you do it a couple times and proven yourself your sort of are in a position to call your own shots - ie I want to do 3 months a year, one month at a time - sort of thing. Pay can be really good.

Have you looked into mobile mechanic in the oil patch, or seasonal stuff in the mines up North. If you have little kids at home that isn't possible, but if you can swing it you can pay off bills and finish houses in a hurry. Best part is the pay is great and once you do it a couple times and proven yourself your sort of are in a position to call your own shots - ie I want to do 3 months a year, one month at a time - sort of thing. Pay can be really good.
My wife's health would not allow that. Plus we now have a 17 yr old with a 2 year old living with us and they can't leave the area. That's another reason why I'm "stuck" here.

Back