work at Buc-ee's?

Our 401k is 100% match up to 5% and employee must contribute at least 5% for non-union employees, now for union they don't have to contribute anything but get the 5% from our employer. I put in 10 or 11%, it bumps 1% every year automatically for the last couple years. Now as our kids are grown, I'd love to sell and move but don't see it happening for a while, 1st grandkid on the way. House will be paid off sooner than later, so I see us snowbirding with a camper for retirement. Wish Buc-ees would come to PA these wages are close to mine and I'd retire early, work pt there and just go on my wife's benefits. Hers are better than mine anyways. That shift diff is very nice @ $2/hr, shoot my first job paid $4.15/hr.

Was travelling in Florida this weekend so decided to finally stop at one of the new Buc-ee's. The one near world Golf Village off I-95 between Jax and St. Augustine.

On a side note, this is my first Buc-ee's, but if you spent any time in the South and have been to one of the tacky t-shirt shops that also sell fudge, to one of the roadside faux bbq places that cater to tourists, and to a truck stop - you have already been to Buc-ee's - you just don't know it.

I was happy to find Buc-ee's is hiring, and it seems they pay pretty well. For those in high COL areas, realize you can buy a decent house in a decent neighborhood 10 minutes away in Jacksonville for well under $300K, and there is no state income tax in Florida.

Maybe I will retire early and move to Florida and do the overnight shifts?

View attachment 176843
I stop at that store every time I drive down there. Great store, always clean, staff is always friendly and always super busy. Being paid that well is paying off for them.

With the amount of people I have seen there here in Texas, its certainly a job that will have you on your feet 200% of the time and you are wading through endless crowds of people. They also have some kind of cult "chant" that they shout every now and again, i couldnt understand it. I love their merch though and have my trusty coffee cup that i drink from daily.
Could it be "brisket on the board"?
They get breaks and seem pretty happy from what I have seen from people watching as well.

So tell me why do we have so many useless homeless loafing eaters?

Lazy and free junk. Can we please stop with the FS?

Get to work because the pay is great let me tell you. And save some money you idiotic fools
At least where I live and work, the biggest issue with homelessness seems to be a mental illness/addiction combo, along with a lack of effective help for those folks. Here in North AL, if your biggest problem is you don't have a roof over your head, there are organizations that will bend over backwards to help you find housing. Not the BEST housing, but housing. And if you are willing to work your butt off here, you won't be in crappy housing for long. Just my take.

Could it be "brisket on the board"?
They get breaks and seem pretty happy from what I have seen from people watching as well.
It could have been! I will stop by again sometime and loaf around and re-listen :)

Bucee's coffee addicts represent!!

1694734888128.jpg

At least where I live and work, the biggest issue with homelessness seems to be a mental illness/addiction combo, along with a lack of effective help for those folks. Here in North AL, if your biggest problem is you don't have a roof over your head, there are organizations that will bend over backwards to help you find housing. Not the BEST housing, but housing. And if you are willing to work your butt off here, you won't be in crappy housing for long. Just my take.
People here don’t want anything to do with that

They want free junk and to overturn the system

Many are addicted by choice - yes that is a thing. They need tough love period

The jobs are there but require work. And just saying the situation is complex is a cop out

Chris,
May have to figure out how far you can commute for it to be worth a better job; for me it was 37-miles one way for $4/hour at the time (and a move to management).

Chris,
May have to figure out how far you can commute for it to be worth a better job; for me it was 37-miles one way for $4/hour at the time (and a move to management).

Yep. Long time ago I was doing 90 miles round trip, 4 days a week for a nice raise.

Bigger city has more jobs.

I've mentioned this before just a few times, but it fits in this thread too.

I pay my own travel and lodging expenses (non deductible BTW), lately it's been north of $50K per year. Add in the (now insane) taxes and health/auto/homeowners insurance of about $70K per year living in Jupiter, FL, along with no raise in over a decade. And being a gas station manager looks pretty good...

So when I see the gas station employees can bring home well more than I do, like double, I wonder why I do any of this and work so many hours, flying and driving all over the place. Sure it's fun as heck, but I have exactly zero "me" time.

OxvDmET.jpg

Last edited:
I've mentioned this before just a few times, but it fits in this thread too.

I pay my own travel and lodging expenses (non deductible BTW), lately it's been north of $50K per year. Add in the (now insane) taxes and health/auto/homeowners insurance of about $70K per year living in Jupiter, FL, along with no raise in over a decade. And being a gas station manager looks pretty good...

So when I see the gas station employees can bring home well more than I do, like double, I wonder why I do any of this and work so many hours, flying and driving all over the place. Sure it's fun as heck, but I have exactly zero "me" time.
Curios - why are the travel expenses non-deductible? I thought all legitimate business expenses you must pay for your job are deductible - commuting being the exception? Is it considered a commute? Isn't driving to the airport your commute?

You should have be given a corporate credit card for all business related travel expenses.

@Cujet I assume you're an A&P for a large corporate flight department. If so I imagine with your experience there have got to be other gigs that offer better QoL and similar or higher takehome pay after all of your incidentals.

Curios - why are the travel expenses non-deductible? I thought all legitimate business expenses you must pay for your job are deductible - commuting being the exception? Is it considered a commute? Isn't driving to the airport your commute?

Probably a W2 employee...only small amount can be taken for unreimbured employee expenses. If 1099, then a different situation.

Hmm, I googled it and your right, they took work expense deductions away from W2 employees. One more time the corporations get something the little guy doesn't. I wish I could say I was shocked.

Back