I-95 NY - FL and back observations..

I love a road trip. I drive I-95 between NYC and DC too much. When taking family trips, I let my wife drive to Fredericksburg ;)

Depending upon traffic patterns of the day, US301 is a hood bypass from Delaware to Richmond.

South of Richmond, I enjoy the drive. The old stuff, the abandoned stuff, the scenery. I like the stretches of pine forest. I like the old truck stops. Not many left, now they have bright lights and are chains where each one looks like the other.

South of the border is fun for keeping track of something on the drive. It’s in disrepair but the neon lights and a change in scenery is good.

At busy times, people drive like idiots. I’ve found NC to be the worst for whatever reason.

But overall I enjoy road trips, and I-95 is one of the more convenient ones for us to do…

I don't see many actual trip posts on this site. Figured I would add one.

For those who are out west, I-95 is the main thoroughfare on the east coast which travelers use from Maine to Florida. Done it a few times. Anyhoo...

I've noticed that aside from pickup trucks, there are many more sedans in the south, especially the closer you get to Florida, than compared to NY. I wonder why that is.
On I-95, people who are driving slow in the left lane will actually move over, unlike drivers in Long Island who seem to slow down on purpose when you get a little closer. God forbid you flash to pass in Long Island, NY..
The further south you go, the more friendly and talkative people are.
The roads are infinitely better outside of NY.
I love poking around Love truck stops. The snacks, the jerky, the truck gadgets and radios. My family gets a kick every time they announce that "customer X, your shower is ready!"
Georgia seems empty on I-95 on their respective stretch on I-95.
Fireworks which you can buy at stores anywhere on I-95 are a rip-off. Can't blame them for taking advantage of the travelers. PA is the place to go price-wise.
Buc'ees is cool but overrated. The brisket sandwich, however, is awesome.
My wife's 2022 Ford Explorer is awesome in every way.
I hate the heat, but FL at night is amazing.
Driving through Richmond, VA, Baltimore, MD, and DC in the early morning hours makes me want to PIT Maneuver people. Horrible and overly aggressive drivers.
Indian River fruit stores on the side of I-95 in Florida have awesome flavored Pecans. My orange and lemon trees in a box are alive, well, and fruit producing in my bay window in NY.
Regular windshield washer fluid is no match for southern highway bugs. If you're hungry, just stick your head out the window..
Apple Maps did a pretty good job of navigation, between re-routes and spotting speed traps.
NY drivers always get a kick out of each other while in the south, but as soon as we enter NY, we will give each other the finger.
My favorite stretch of I-95 is extreme northern Maryland. Excellent pavement and lighting. Looks so nice and maintained.
Sleep if you have to. I saw plenty of swerving and slower drivers who were clearly dozing off.

That's my travel story. Tell me about yours.
Really enjoyed your travel post and others here.

I started taking the 81 to 77 Route to Florida when my daughter was living in Charlotte and it is much nicer than 95 and often just as fast because of the traffic between DC and Fredericksburg. The other plus is no tolls which can be ridiculous on I-95. The troopers in Virginia are everywhere and enforce the speed limit strictly. I stopped taking 301 down through Florida because the speed limit changes every 5 minutes and it's easy to get caught if your not paying strict attention to the signs. My preferred route is 95 to Daytona Beach and catch Rt.4 across to 75 but I only do it on weekends because of weekday traffic around Orlando.

PS: I'm finding Florida drivers to be even more aggressive than (and often just as rude as) NY drivers.....and yes, 75 is a very dangerous road....lane changing constantly at high speeds for no apparent reason is the norm.
Rude? Thats bc they are probably from NY. LOL. Im my experience, the drivers around NYC (northern NJ, Conneticutt etc) are the most aggressive and rude of any. DC Beltway is minor league.

Around DC is a mess of traffic. Next time, I am taking the back route via Gettysburg tp the Auto Train.
Thought about that, but going from near DC already you are pretty much wasting the whole first day to make sure you get to the DC side station before DC traffic prevents you from missing the train. From further north you already have to drive for at least a few hours anyway so it makes more sense to use the auto train from there.

I go back and forth from Miami Beach to Queens [I-95] about 3 times a year. Virginia for years has been a total nightmare. The last trip [around Nov 10th 2022] got tied up from before Fredericksburg all the way to Alexandria Va. Average speed was 0-15 MPH. I came back down to Florida just before New Years and that was another nightmare in Virginia again. Started before Dale City all the way down. Even 95 in Emporia Va [which is usually good] was gridlocked.

From Walterboro South Carolina to Alexandria took 12 hours. The normal 24 hour run now takes close to 34 plus hours. There are other tie ups due to unforeseen circumstances elsewhere but Virginia is by far the worst state to go through. Both coming and going. The Express Lanes help a bit but only if it is open on the the side your on.

I went the I-81 way a few times but due to incidents on I-81 that was no bargain either. Plus got tied up on the highways to get to 81.

Next time around will try to spend a extra day in Alexandria to do some sightseeing to break up the nightmare trip.

I used to lay over at South Of The Boarder back in the 70's. The rooms were very nice and you had your own parking spot right outside of your room. Seems the rooms have not been updated since then. Have not stayed there since.

South Florida is by far the worst place to drive. Vehicles do come equipped with turn signals plus see a lot of road rage. There have a number of shootings out on I-95 and the Turnpike. Mostly during the overnight hours but happens sometimes during the day. That is in both Miami-Dade and Broward County. Everyone in Miami is from another country so they drive like they are in their country. The F.H.P. is understaffed so for the most part most get away with their crazy driving.

As far Auto Train goes I know of few people had vehicle damage from using it. Nothing major. Mostly scratches. Sometimes after getting to the Auto Train you find out the Train has been delayed up to 24 hours due to issues. The good thing is they give your money back if you do not want to wait for the next one.

I go back and forth from Miami Beach to Queens [I-95] about 3 times a year. Virginia for years has been a total nightmare. The last trip [around Nov 10th 2022] got tied up from before Fredericksburg all the way to Alexandria Va. Average speed was 0-15 MPH. I came back down to Florida just before New Years and that was another nightmare in Virginia again. Started before Dale City all the way down. Even 95 in Emporia Va [which is usually good] was gridlocked.

It's because in many parts of Virginia, local traffic uses the Interstate because the alternative routes are either a US highway or a bunch of 2-lane country roads filled with potholes.

Virginia as a general rule does not like to spend state or local dollars to build roads and the Interstates were/are Federally funded so they became the upgrade for the local roads that Virginia didn't want to pay for.

The next western crossing of the Rappahannock is nearly 15 miles west of I95 (and the roads leading up to it on the Spotsylvania County side are barely more than paved cowpaths), so traffic trying to get from VA3 to US17 and vice-versa often gets on I95.

I made the trek from Valley Stream to Brandon FL in June. We left L.I. at about 9:30 PM crossed the Verrazzano bridge and followed the GPS. We took 95S most of the way. The goal was not to hit traffic, mission accomplished. My brother moved there and I made the trip with him in his 98 Ram 1500 with AC not working, the trip sucked. The mission was to get tools, a compressor, boat motor and as much as we could jam into it. Between about 1300-1500 we saw three different crashes into wooded areas, drivers who must have fallen asleep. The roads are better, but I must say driving in the Tampa area during rush hour sucks, and drivers don't have much respect for one another. It reminded me of Long Island. They also seem to nickle and dime you with toll roads in Florida. Thank God we flew back.

I do the trip regularly. I now avoid I95 and travel N on Rt 77 to 81, through PA. As my destination is somewhat upstate NY.

I95 can be an hour faster, but I the occasional DC, NY and NYC traffic jam can be long enough to make the I95 version (18 hour) one day trip into 2 full days. It is not worth the risk for me.

Rt 81 in VA:

Y8IO3IE.jpg
You are about 30 miles from my house on 81 in Winchester, Va. 81 is a beautiful drive. Only problem is the trucks in the left lanes for miles on end. That's the route I took from my Ft. Myers place to home.

It's because in many parts of Virginia, local traffic uses the Interstate because the alternative routes are either a US highway or a bunch of 2-lane country roads filled with potholes.

Virginia as a general rule does not like to spend state or local dollars to build roads and the Interstates were/are Federally funded so they became the upgrade for the local roads that Virginia didn't want to pay for.

The next western crossing of the Rappahannock is nearly 15 miles west of I95 (and the roads leading up to it on the Spotsylvania County side are barely more than paved cowpaths), so traffic trying to get from VA3 to US17 and vice-versa often gets on I95.
That's always a mess!

I live in Northwestern Virginia and drive to Florida a few times per year. The fastest route uses 95 from Fredericksburg south, but I hate that stretch of 95 (to Richmond). It's the worst part of our 900+ mile drive. We also have the option to go due south from our home, hit 64, which we take over to 288 west of Richmond. It's slower, but easier on the nerves.

I do the trip regularly. I now avoid I95 and travel N on Rt 77 to 81, through PA. As my destination is somewhat upstate NY.

I95 can be an hour faster, but I the occasional DC, NY and NYC traffic jam can be long enough to make the I95 version (18 hour) one day trip into 2 full days. It is not worth the risk for me.

Rt 81 in VA:

Y8IO3IE.jpg

We make this trip the last 5 Februarys. We drive from Monmouth County New Jersey to West Palm Beach in a day and a half. I leave our house Around 630 and I are in Port Wentworth Georgia by 6 PM and West Palm around 2 I guess we’ve been lucky but I have never experienced nightmarish traffic one day when we came home Joan bike week and it was a little slow, but will be in an hour to my trip total, I really don’t think it’s that bad.

South Florida is by far the worst place to drive. Vehicles do come equipped with turn signals plus see a lot of road rage. There have a number of shootings out on I-95 and the Turnpike. Mostly during the overnight hours but happens sometimes during the day. That is in both Miami-Dade and Broward County. Everyone in Miami is from another country so they drive like they are in their country. The F.H.P. is understaffed so for the most part most get away with their crazy driving.
+1, I can attest to all of this ⬆️

You are about 30 miles from my house on 81 in Winchester, Va. 81 is a beautiful drive. Only problem is the trucks in the left lanes for miles on end. That's the route I took from my Ft. Myers place to home.
The trucks have become a problem. They will drive side by side, with differing terrain dependent speeds. Of course, HP helps a bunch. They also aggressively cut me off if they see me passing in the left lane. It's a shame really, as it is so unnecessary. I am not a road-rage guy, I just wait for an opportunity to pass and immediately take it.

The time of day matters a lot. Late at night is always better.

From Walterboro South Carolina to Alexandria took 12 hours. The normal 24 hour run now takes close to 34 plus hours. There are other tie ups due to unforeseen circumstances elsewhere but Virginia is by far the worst state to go through. Both coming and going. The Express Lanes help a bit but only if it is open on the the side your on.

I went the I-81 way a few times but due to incidents on I-81 that was no bargain either. Plus got tied up on the highways to get to 81.

Next time around will try to spend a extra day in Alexandria to do some sightseeing to break up the nightmare trip.

I used to lay over at South Of The Boarder back in the 70's. The rooms were very nice and you had your own parking spot right outside of your room. Seems the rooms have not been updated since then. Have not stayed there since.

As far Auto Train goes I know of few people had vehicle damage from using it. Nothing major. Mostly scratches. Sometimes after getting to the Auto Train you find out the Train has been delayed up to 24 hours due to issues. The good thing is they give your money back if you do not want to wait for the next one.
Ahh a queens guy. I moved 10 years out to the island. Don't miss it.

Yeah and the only state where radar detectors are illegal

Yeah and the only state where radar detectors are illegal
I'm sure if a consumer/civil liberties group wanted to challenge this in court, they could get it overturned. FCC regs permit anyone to receive radio, cell, or other RF. Its in the public domain, like police, fire, emt communications.If police comms are ok to listen to , why not radar detection?

Back