Got rear-ended by a Prius - stupid tailgaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past Sunday, we were traveling I-95 northbound to go shopping. Traffic was your normal Sunday after church type of traffic, heavy to heavier. With the addition of scatter rain shower, traffic did go from 60-70 mph to a standstill near heavy residential exits such as Quantico, Dale City, etc.

There was a Prius driven by some kid constantly on my tail even though I was already doing 5 over and only 10 car lengths behind a series of SUV, trucks, and tractors. Following any closer would put my family and I in danger if those vehicles decided to slam their brakes. So I decided to take my foot off the gas and coast down to 55-60 to let him pass and he did. Being that I am from the area, I know when to move over to the fast lane and when to get get back to the right lane. About 5 miles from when the Prius almost slammed into the back of my car, traffic came to a halt. So I slowed down and applied by brakes accordingly; tap for a second and off until I needed to stop completely. Not following too close afford me the ability to not wear or ride my brakes and still be able to stop long before needed. After at least 2 seconds later (probably more like 5 seconds) from when all traffic around me as well as my car were at a standstill, I heard and felt a thump from the rear. I looked back and saw the same Prius now just crashed into me.

I called the State trooper we didn't want to get out his car to check for damage. My rear bumper is pretty messed up on the lower end as my Accord sits much higher than the Prius. The cop gave each driver a paper to exchange information and I called the offender's insurance after that. I also took a picture of his DL but not his insurance as the cop didn't want me to do it. It's Tuesday and I still haven't heard from his insurance yet. I am going to call tomorrow and check the status. [censored] police didn't want to write up a report so they have a record of the accident.

I hate people following too close and think people should move over for them. People do that to me all the time on interstate highways, regardless of my speed. I never speed up and just let them pass me at their own risk. My wife thinks I should speed up and be closer to the front driver I told her to mind her business and drive normally and carefully regardless of how traffic is. I always keep a good distance between me and the fellow in front. If possible, I also like to keep a good distance with the guy in the rear, especially if he's a big vehicle. But I am not going to do so by driving faster because tailgaters always speed up and close in regardless of how hard you try to keep safe distance. It should and is the responsibility of rear drivers to keep safe distance from those in front.

I think it is ironic that the same stupid Prius driver rear-ended me after I already gave him ample warning 5 miles back to not follow too close. He's from Connecticut and this happened in VA so I don't know why he was rushing. There is plenty of chance to make up time and I-95 passing through NOVA, D.C., Beltway, and some park of NJ Turnpike aren't the place to do it in bad weather.

cry.gif
There was a post about speeding Prius's last week. What going on with these people.

By the way, my next non-truck purchase may very well be the new Prius; either or C or V version as they are nicer looking. The Prius C costs about the same as a Civic and is much nicer.

I always love the speeding prius driver who says they get awesome MPG because they drive a hybrid, but their driving habits are the reason they get poor fuel economy

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
cry.gif
There was a post about speeding Prius's last week. What going on with these people.

didn't you hear?

They're better than you...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
cry.gif

didn't you hear?

They're better than you...

I especially like the early ones with the big "I am ELECTRIC" stickers on the rear window. Yeah, right.

Mmmm . . . soft, spongy "regenerative" brakes, and high-speed tailgating. Why is this result no surprise.

If you've ever driven through the metro NYC region, you'll see where he likely got his driving habits. Wannabe Formula 1 racers all over the place looking to shave 2 minutes from their trip time. Hopefully he wasn't texting, too.

How are YOU feeling?

Sorry about your accident. I'll admit I've brake-checked idiots for following too closely, though I don't think that's a smart thing to do.

That said, given the way you worded the thread title, it'll just continue to devolve into another Prius hate-thread. It would probably have been more accurate to say "got rear-ended by a teenager"... (to the defense of teen drivers, excessive tailgating seems to span all ages and genders. Some people just drive like idiots).

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Why is the make and model of the car that crashed into you relevant?

Most of us agreed that most of those drivers are always reckless. MOST. Just worth a mention.

Prius probably got it pretty good. Most cars do a nose dive when they're braking hard that smashes the front in above the bumper structure where it's expensive to fix.

You also have to call your own insurance even if you're not at fault. Read your policy (*Your state policy*) on this. They just want the heads-up if nothing else.

There are some people who are just terrible drivers, either on the gas or the brake all the time. For better or for worse, if they wind up in priusses, they save the planet compared to their old selves.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord

There was a Prius driven by some kid constantly on my tail even though I was already doing 5 over and only 10 car lengths behind a series of SUV, trucks, and tractors.

I hate people following too close and think people should move over for them. My wife thinks I should speed up and be closer to the front driver I told her to mind her business and drive normally and carefully regardless of how traffic is.

It should and is the responsibility of rear drivers to keep safe distance from those in front.

Tail-gating is poor and dangerous driving but if one finds they have someone on their bumper a lot, they may want to reassess their own driving behaviour.

'Keep right except to pass' is a pretty universal driving rule.
10 car lengths may be too much of a safety margin particularly in anything other than the right most lane. The 'two second rule' is a better determinant of a reasonable following distance when there is traffic behind. And yes I know that considered too much for some impatient drivers particularly in rush hour.

In many jurisdictions the speed limit is secondary and the 'keep to the right rule' takes precedence. On must keep up with the flow of traffic in the lane that they're in or move to the right.
The excuse that 'you're already doing 5 mph over the limit' won't fly in my Province as my neighbours wife recently found out.
She was pulled over by the police for "blocking the flow of traffic".
She told the officer she was already doing 115 km/h (72 mph)in a 100kh/h (62 mph) zone. The officer said that's fine but you could have maintained that speed in the centre or right lane. She of course told the officer she didn't know and didn't receive a ticket.

(BTW in Ontario the defacto speed limit is 20 km/h (12.5 mph) higher than the posted limit so the Police can't give one a ticket unless they are doing more than 20 km/h over the limit on the highway. I know it's a crazy system but it's actually what the police prefer to actually raising the highway speed limit.)

Originally Posted By: JOD
Sorry about your accident. I'll admit I've brake-checked idiots for following too closely, though I don't think that's a smart thing to do.

That said, given the way you worded the thread title, it'll just continue to devolve into another Prius hate-thread. It would probably have been more accurate to say "got rear-ended by a teenager"... (to the defense of teen drivers, excessive tailgating seems to span all ages and genders. Some people just drive like idiots).

Most tailgaters are actually not teenagers as teenagers would just pass you. Tailgaters are ego-maniac hypocrites who won't pass you because they know they'll be getting the tickets if said speed is maintained. And they won't want to feel like they are going slow by having someone in their rear view mirror. Instead, they go the 2-3 miles faster than the person in front of them and ride the brakes over and over again, thinking that since it is highway there are plenty rooms for error. If people brake-check these idiots, they'll be plenty of accidents everyday and most of them will be deadly occasions.

I don't hate Prius, I actually like them. However, only a small percentage of Prius owners are actually good drivers and people and usually those are the one buying it because they have to commute very far (30+ miles each way) in order to maintain a good income while still being able to raise a family in a desirable area with good school, low crime rate, and desirable shopping and neighbors. The rest of Prius owners are tree-hugging environmentalists who will go so slow that would people at risk or ego-maniac who are so image conscious that they'll own a Prius and a gas hog and drive both in the same manner that would other at risks. Both are historically know of be self-center, selfish, and hypocrites.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: M1Accord

There was a Prius driven by some kid constantly on my tail even though I was already doing 5 over and only 10 car lengths behind a series of SUV, trucks, and tractors.

I hate people following too close and think people should move over for them. My wife thinks I should speed up and be closer to the front driver I told her to mind her business and drive normally and carefully regardless of how traffic is.

It should and is the responsibility of rear drivers to keep safe distance from those in front.

Tail-gating is poor and dangerous driving but if one finds they have someone on their bumper a lot, they may want to reassess their own driving behaviour.

'Keep right except to pass' is a pretty universal driving rule.
10 car lengths may be too much of a safety margin particularly in anything other than the right most lane. The 'two second rule' is a better determinant of a reasonable following distance when there is traffic behind. And yes I know that considered too much for some impatient drivers particularly in rush hour.

In many jurisdictions the speed limit is secondary and the 'keep to the right rule' takes precedence. On must keep up with the flow of traffic in the lane that they're in or move to the right.
The excuse that 'you're already doing 5 mph over the limit' won't fly in my Province as my neighbours wife recently found out.
She was pulled over by the police for "blocking the flow of traffic".
She told the officer she was already doing 115 km/h (72 mph)in a 100kh/h (62 mph) zone. The officer said that's fine but you could have maintained that speed in the centre or right lane. She of course told the officer she didn't know and didn't receive a ticket.

(BTW in Ontario the defacto speed limit is 20 km/h (12.5 mph) higher than the posted limit so the Police can't give one a ticket unless they are doing more than 20 km/h over the limit on the highway. I know it's a crazy system but it's actually what the police prefer to actually raising the highway speed limit.)

Canada traffic laws and norms are not the same as those in the U.S. Doing 5 mph over the posted speed limit while being in the right lane is perfectly legal. However, doing 10-15 mph or more while using the right lane will land you a ticket. There is a reason why speed limit signs are posted. They are limit for all lanes, not just the right lanes.

If traffic is heavy, all lanes will be used as each lane traffic will be passing the traffic of other lane from time to time. If one was to use the center or left lanes only to pass during heavy traffic, there would be plenty more accidents as people will be merging in and out. Basically, the right and safe way to drive during heavy traffic, which include traffic that cause the flow to be 15+ mph under the posted speed limit, is to use all three lanes and minimize passing and lane changing.

No one can be given ticket in my state for driving speed limit, let alone 5 mph over for blocking the flow of traffic. This is why we are different from you guys. Technically, cops can give out ticket for doing 2 or 3 mph over the posted speed but judges will throw them out unless the county/jurisdiction is extremely desperate for money. In addition, any chance of having a speeding ticket reduced would vanish if offender tells the judge that he/she has to be faster than posted speed because they didn't want to block the flow of traffic.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Why is the make and model of the car that crashed into you relevant?

Most of us agreed that most of those drivers are always reckless. MOST. Just worth a mention.

Many drivers on the road these days drive recklessly. Who cares what kind of car they drive. These threads about Prius drivers only pop up for "thinly veiled" political reasons. Basically conservatives wanting to put it to "enviroweenies" as someone said above.

I'd rather be rear-ended by a Prius than a HD pickup. The physics are much more favorable. Of course, I'd rather not get rearended at all, but that's beside the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back