Prius camper conversion has me thinking…

So I stumbled upon this thread on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/prius/s/YWvSulq6pk A guy designed and made a camper conversion shell to fit on his Prius. It’s a really interesting idea and he says it’s fairly functional.

E64478C6-876C-4866-91BB-ECD59B771722.jpeg

Through a happy circumstance I find myself with a pair of Scion xB’s. Which got me to thinking…this could be a fun thing to try with one of them. I doubt I’ll actually do it, but I do love the idea. Because of the relatively square shape of the xB it would be a much easier build than this complex shape was.

At that point why not just buy a crossover or pickup with that bed cover thing???

I dig it. But I do have a tendency to spit on stereotypes that majority seems to rely on. Heck I commute on a scooter and did scooter camping lol. Anyways.
The whole shell thing is less than 100LBS. Even with increased frontal area the Prius still delivers 40MPG, according to the owner.
What's not to like? Where else can you get a 40MPG mini-camper? Even the Nissan NV200 and its Chevy City twin can't offer same MPG or comfort levels.
Maverick Hybrid could probably get close, but will cost 3x-5x as much. And I still doubt it could do better than 30MPG with a camper shell on the rear big enough to fit an adult, or one of those rooftop tents.

Last edited:
At that point why not just buy a crossover or pickup with that bed cover thing???
Having owned a pickup with a bed cover I can tell you it’s not the same. Having the sleeping area be a part of the cabin gives you access to stuff that would otherwise require climbing out of the bed and opening the doors. I’ve never tried sleeping in the back of a crossover so I can’t comment on comfort or space.

My xB gets 2X the MPG my truck does even without a topper. You wouldn’t have to drive all that many miles to gain back the cost of the materials. But mostly I just like it because it’s odd.

So I stumbled upon this thread on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/prius/s/YWvSulq6pk A guy designed and made a camper conversion shell to fit on his Prius. It’s a really interesting idea and he says it’s fairly functional.

View attachment 199700

Through a happy circumstance I find myself with a pair of Scion xB’s. Which got me to thinking…this could be a fun thing to try with one of them. I doubt I’ll actually do it, but I do love the idea. Because of the relatively square shape of the xB it would be a much easier build than this complex shape was.
In CA that's a million dollar property... Or $5k per month rental.
You think I'm kidding?

You might consider towing a small and light weight teardrop trailer with the Prius or some other fuel efficient vehicle. That way you would still have an intact Prius and could drive it around while the teardrop is parked at the campsite.

We were tent campers for decades. I thought of building a teardrop for comfort and safety but our camping days are over. Getting up in the night and wandering around in a campground for a bathroom break isn't all it's cracked up to be.

And by the way a Tesla is said to be a great tow vehicle for a much bigger trailer so there's that idea too.

Getting up in the night and wandering around in a campground for a bathroom break isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Exactly why our trailer has facilities.
And by the way a Tesla is said to be a great tow vehicle for a much bigger trailer so there's that idea too.

Found this online. Start with 100% and charge twice to get 320 miles (on fairly flat ground). That doesn't meet my idea of a great tow vehicle! It got the job done but having to stop every 100 miles to charge would be a bit inconvenient imo.
I pulled a 3500 lb rental trailer with my Tesla Model Y with the tow hitch, about 320 miles with an elevation change of 3000 feet. It took some planning - start with 100% charge, charge 2x on the way there but it was very doable. I would be comfortable pulling a trailer 100 miles. Also, handling was excellent.

Last edited:
That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. My gosh, could it be any more ugly? And....I cannot imagine it gets 40mpg like that. Maybe going a top speed of 40mph.

Not all can afford or justify the expenditure. I'm completely fine with make what you've got work.. though this is a bit extreme on my opinion.

He’s got guts, no question. Bravo to him for pursuing his thing. Stitch-n-glue construction is an art. That said, there comes a point in customization where one destroys any and all resale value, and this easily crosses the line. I wouldn’t want to lose crash protection and cornering rigidity. still, his car, and if he’s enjoying it and it doesn’t harm others - enjoy the hobby!

I might choose a maverick as a better platform…

I doubt they cut any c-pillar. Likely removed the hatch and the bed is on top of the roof.

The Ursa Minor jeep campers are pretty cool but very expensive - along the same idea sort of.

1705969985128.jpg

Back