Got rear-ended by a Prius - stupid tailgaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear about the damage.

Prius drivers are no better or worse than any other drivers. They are cut from the same cross section of population as any other drivers. Most have no concept for physics, are overly self-centered, and on the east coast, are willing and able to drive with a third of a carlength between them and the next car. Its just normal.

Doesnt make it right.

But a lot of the comments on here are just funny. I wonder if a prius doing 85 gets better or worse MPGs than a corolla and a crown vic.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
In many jurisdictions the speed limit is secondary and the 'keep to the right rule' takes precedence. On must keep up with the flow of traffic in the lane that they're in or move to the right.

I have driven on the Autobahn and the fact that people respect the 'keep right except for passing' rule is wonderful. I like the sound of your traffic laws in Ontario also.

I haven't visited Canada since I was 12 (roughly 30 years), maybe I should come back for a visit
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Why is the make and model of the car that crashed into you relevant?

Most of us agreed that most of those drivers are always reckless. MOST. Just worth a mention.

Really? I cant say that is the case, given the ton of mileage I do each year between DC and Albany. No better no worse, really, though possibly a bit slower on average. Certainly no greater aggression...

There was a lengthy thread before about a prius driver that drove too slow. Then there was even longer thread about a prius driver that drove too fast. Here we have a thread that will go forever about a prius driver who rear ended a car. Later, we will have a long thread about a prius driver who passed gas in congested traffic or even (gasp!) trough a bugger from a window.

I tell you what: ban prius in USA and shot all prius drivers. They are clearly a source of all evil in this country. The BITOG members should actually lead the movement and start taking signatures for that well deserved witch hunt.

Only then we can go back to our pastime: talking about oils in peace.

My truck eats prius's for snacks...silly little cars not as silly as the smart cars though...now theres a real oxymoron not sure driving one of those is too smart....sorry i couldnt resist posting this....haha

Last edited:
I haven't filed insurance claim based on an accident before, like eljefino wrote don't you call your own insurance and not the other guy's insurance? I don't know if that's how it suppose to work, you file with your insurance and they work it out with the other guy's insurance?

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
My truck eats prius's for snacks...silly little cars not as silly as the smart cars though...now theres a real oxymoron not sure driving one of those is too smart....sorry i couldnt resist posting this....haha

What a coherent and well reasoned argument.

I have to chime in and say that from my own personal observations I see almost every Prius driven on interstates going at least 75-80 mph when posted speed is 55-65.

As for the OP it's pretty clear to me that this person was probably irritated at you for slowing them down earlier on. When they saw your car they got aggressive with driving. Did you mention to the trooper that this SAME exact car (you were sure) had been tailgating you just a few minutes back. I would try and have had them slapped with the accident itself and aggressive driving because in DC that fine can be extremely high.

Why is the make and model of the car that crashed into you relevant?

I watched a Prius change from the slow lane to the fast lane, running an average size pickup truck completely off the road in the process.

It was like something from the movies - the truck spun to a stop in the median surrounded by a cloud of dirt with small debris flying off in all directions.

The Prius driver continued on in the fast lane for the next thirty five miles or so, left turn signal flashing the whole distance to his exit.

There are really bad drivers of all makes, but Toyota seems to get the worst of the worst.

In many jurisdictions the speed limit is secondary and the 'keep to the right rule' takes precedence. On must keep up with the flow of traffic in the lane that they're in or move to the right.

I have driven on the Autobahn and the fact that people respect the 'keep right except for passing' rule is wonderful. I like the sound of your traffic laws in Ontario also.

I haven't visited Canada since I was 12 (roughly 30 years), maybe I should come back for a visit
wink.gif

Yes we do tend to keep to the right more frequently than Americans generally do, and our speed limits are not enforced in many Provinces with much vigor until you are doing more than 30 mph over and then they'll impound your vehicle on the spot. It's very odd. So you'll get many cruising at 90 mph and the cops won't touch you but the poor guy that does 95 or 100 mph gets the book thrown at him.

Since they have 80 mph speed limits in your state of Texas I suspect you can actually drive faster than here with less chance of loosing your licence for a single offence.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord

I don't hate Prius, I actually like them. However, only a small percentage of Prius owners are actually good drivers and people and usually those are the one buying it because they have to commute very far (30+ miles each way) in order to maintain a good income while still being able to raise a family in a desirable area with good school, low crime rate, and desirable shopping and neighbors. The rest of Prius owners are tree-hugging environmentalists who will go so slow that would people at risk or ego-maniac who are so image conscious that they'll own a Prius and a gas hog and drive both in the same manner that would other at risks. Both are historically know of be self-center, selfish, and hypocrites.

wow...

There's so much judgement nonsense in that post I don't know where to start...so I won't. I'm sorry most other Prius drivers don't share you ideals, lifestyle and exceedingly judgmental views on life. Given the biases you're bringing to the table though, I'm not at all surprised that you're seeing exactly want you believe is there.

I have a heightened sense of awareness of stupid when I'm on the roads, generally because my life depends on it (particularly because I'm often on a bike). I just haven't noticed all of these horrible Prius drivers, nor have I noticed any real trends about any car models and driving behavior. The only things that cause me immediate concern based on appearance rather than behavior are large rental trucks.

wink.gif

Yes we do tend to keep to the right more frequently than Americans generally do, and our speed limits are not enforced in many Provinces with much vigor until you are doing more than 30 mph over and then they'll impound your vehicle on the spot. It's very odd. So you'll get many cruising at 90 mph and the cops won't touch you but the poor guy that does 95 or 100 mph gets the book thrown at him.

Since they have 80 mph speed limits in your state of Texas I suspect you can actually drive faster than here with less chance of loosing your licence for a single offence.

The 80mph limit is quite rare, it's only seen on I-10 between Junction, TX and just east of El Paso, TX and in on a couple of toll roads in the Austin area.

However, the 75mph limit is far more common, it's recently been implemented on quite a few stretches of rural 4 lane roads.

http://www.txdot.gov/safety/speed_limit/75mph.htm

On a side note, they are considering an 85mph(!!!) speed limit on a new section of toll road between Austin and Seguin that is meant to bypass most of San Antonio and Austin, in order to relieve traffic on I-35.

Keep everyone safe and "keep right except to pass". Why made the guy in the back of you in the left lane move right just to pass you? You just make it unsafe for all us on the road. I understand that you should drive at the speed limit, but there will always be someone who will be driving at a higher speed. Let the police enforce the speed limit, NOT YOU!!! MOVE TO THE RIGHT!!! It is the law!!!

Originally Posted By: M1Accord

There was a Prius driven by some kid constantly on my tail even though I was already doing 5 over and only 10 car lengths behind a series of SUV, trucks, and tractors.

I hate people following too close and think people should move over for them. My wife thinks I should speed up and be closer to the front driver I told her to mind her business and drive normally and carefully regardless of how traffic is.

It should and is the responsibility of rear drivers to keep safe distance from those in front.

Tail-gating is poor and dangerous driving but if one finds they have someone on their bumper a lot, they may want to reassess their own driving behaviour.

'Keep right except to pass' is a pretty universal driving rule.
10 car lengths may be too much of a safety margin particularly in anything other than the right most lane. The 'two second rule' is a better determinant of a reasonable following distance when there is traffic behind. And yes I know that considered too much for some impatient drivers particularly in rush hour.

The excuse that 'you're already doing 5 mph over the limit' won't fly in my Province as my neighbours wife recently found out.
She was pulled over by the police for "blocking the flow of traffic".
She told the officer she was already doing 115 km/h (72 mph)in a 100kh/h (62 mph) zone. The officer said that's fine but you could have maintained that speed in the centre or right lane. She of course told the officer she didn't know and didn't receive a ticket.

(BTW in Ontario the defacto speed limit is 20 km/h (12.5 mph) higher than the posted limit so the Police can't give one a ticket unless they are doing more than 20 km/h over the limit on the highway. I know it's a crazy system but it's actually what the police prefer to actually raising the highway speed limit.)

I agree with you AND looking at the original post, so does his wife Lol.

Originally Posted By: rocky37
Keep everyone safe and "keep right except to pass". Why made the guy in the back of you in the left lane move right just to pass you? You just make it unsafe for all us on the road. I understand that you should drive at the speed limit, but there will always be someone who will be driving at a higher speed. Let the police enforce the speed limit, NOT YOU!!! MOVE TO THE RIGHT!!! It is the law!!!

VERY welll said. It is the left lane hogs more than the speeders who cause the most issues by forcing people to go around them. Keep Right everyone!

if M1Accord was driving a big SUV/truck, the prius driver would have went around him. what do ya'll think?

Tail-gating is poor and dangerous driving but if one finds they have someone on their bumper a lot, they may want to reassess their own driving behaviour.

In some cases this is true, but in many densely populated areas in the US, tailgating in heavy traffic is common no matter how fast you go. DC can get pretty crazy, and going 5-10 MPH over the limit isn't enough to shake tailgaters.

Also, it's common in heavy traffic to leave a short gap to prevent other cars from squeezing in, eliminating the safe gap you were trying to maintain in the first place. A lot of times if there is a gap barely large enough for a car, someone will try to squeeze in.

A couple summers ago, a guy driving a Hyundai Elantra hatchback drove into the back of my hybrid rx400h. He was texting, too. Based on this thread, I should now think all Hyundai Elantra drivers are bad drivers, texting while they drive, and generally evil and shifty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back