Safety nannies

Morbid curiosity had me looking at Trax today. Came across these nannies which I think would drive me nuts?

Rear Seat Reminder, Helps to remind the driver to check the back seat(s) before leaving the vehicle¹ Activates when rear doors are opened and closed up to 10 minutes before or anytime while your vehicle is on Under certain conditions, once the vehicle is switched off, designed to sound audible chimes and display a visual message within the driver display Activates only once each time the vehicle is turned on and off, and would require re-activation on a second trip

Buckle to Drive, Helps remind the driver to buckle their seat belt before driving by preventing the vehicle from being shifted out of PARK temporarily when the driver's seat belt is not buckled Also reminds the front passenger to buckle up

I usually toss my stuff into the backseat before leaving the house (lunch, work laptop, etc). Would such a vehicle ding at me incessantly because it thinks someone is back there? I also run trash to our transfer station. Say what you will but we stop and toss our recyclables, then drive 20 yards, toss trash, drive 20 yards and hit up the seconds table and metal dumpster, and so I "often" drive sans seatbelt. Is this going to refuse to shift out of park for x seconds?

These nannies, are they stuck on?

I remember when I could start a car and shift into park and not have to touch the brake at all. Progress my foot.

My Tucson alerts me when the car in front starts to pull away at a light. And a lot of other stupid things. At least I can turn those things off.

Well, that's good to hear. Once off, stays off. I could live with that.

I hate all those things. If i can't figure out my door is open or I'm not wearing my seat belt I shouldn't be driving. The seat belt beep in my jeep was ear piercing with no way to turn it off. I'm not putting on a belt just to move a car in my driveway or to go get the mail.

That thing net a pair of craftsman plyers one day.

Rear Seat Reminder, Helps to remind the driver to check the back seat(s) before leaving the vehicle¹ Activates when rear doors are opened and closed up to 10 minutes before or anytime while your vehicle is on Under certain conditions, once the vehicle is switched off, designed to sound audible chimes and display a visual message within the driver display Activates only once each time the vehicle is turned on and off, and would require re-activation on a second trip
This is so that parents don't forget their children in a car in the summer. Short of all kinds of sensors in the seats etc. seems like the most logical solution currently.

The Silverado I drive at the community food pantry, where I volunteer, reminds me to check to back seat. Admittedly, on occasion I find it annoying. But I try to remind myself that these messages are intended to save lives. If it helps one mom or dad remember to get a child out of a back seat, then I can put up with the annoyance.

17 Outback has a few nanny items that are a major turn-off. I can't stand the auto start that turns off the vehicle once you open the door. Rear hatch is another that is just too much to deal with for me.

Our kia has all of that. And Lane assist, weather alerts, auto volume adjustments when backing up, yelling at you if you switch lanes too close to another car, reminding you your music may be too loud, reminding you to move forward at green lights, refusing to let you access certain menu options when driving, trying to override your windshield wiper timing, etc etc. The car will slam on the brakes and start beeping if it thinks a crash is imminent.

The kia app also sends me alerts about the vehicle. Including doors being opened, windows down, etc.

Heck, the car will drive itself when on cruise control.

I have seen a lot of newer cars do this. And it's a little overboard and , frankly, unbearable at times.

I honestly figure the back seat reminders are a pre-emptive strike at avoiding a lawsuit when some negligent parent tries to sue the auto manufacturer coupled with portraying a positive "we care" message.

I mean...someone already sued mcdonalds bc they were overweight. It isn't a big stretch.

I turned it off in the truck, but a lot of cars have it now.

The nanny stuff (I want to use another word) is the biggest pet peeve on the new truck.
You can shut most of it off.

I figure since our mapping programs know the speed limit on every road, there will be software that will limit the car to that speed. For a littlle safer action, they might let you go over for a brief perid and then bring you back down. What they need is pretty much already in place.

Well, short of parents who like their kids, and remember where they last left them... I mean, occasionally I misplaced mine, so maybe it's necessary, these days I'm happy when they wander off on their own...
This was made to save kids lives. There were numerous incidents were a distracted parent forget they left the kid in the back seat on a 90° day and six hours later find the lifeless child. What I'd like to turn off on hybrid and EV cars is that annoying spaceship noise thay make at low speed as a pedestrian warning.

Every time I see these threads I'm grateful for the privilege to hit pedestrians and blow my eardrums out. It's not driving if all your do is point the car the direction you want to go, and hope it listens to you.

The Silverado I drive at the community food pantry, where I volunteer, reminds me to check to back seat. Admittedly, on occasion I find it annoying. But I try to remind myself that these messages are intended to save lives. If it helps one mom or dad remember to get a child out of a back seat, then I can put up with the annoyance.
Maybe everyone should have to blow in a breathalyzer before every start too.... if it prevents one drunk driver......

Well, short of parents who like their kids, and remember where they last left them... I mean, occasionally I misplaced mine, so maybe it's necessary, these days I'm happy when they wander off on their own...
I left my son in the backseat during a stressful time in my life. Lasted about 5 minutes until I realized he wasn't with us.

I don't mind any nannies if they actually work. I'm sure that's a way to minimize their annoyance if they are effective to save a kid or two's life.

Back