Another article about vehicles sending data to their insurance company via Lexus Nexus

Once this shenanigans starts impacting people’s pockets, I’m sure a solution will come up to this issue.

If all else fails, get one of these, but for your car.
<Picture deleted for sake of thread length>
Yeah but if I cover the entire car in tin foil I can't see out of the windows!

The future....all your driving monitored. Insurance will use this as an excuse to set your premium [always higher]. Traffic infractions will automatically be removed from your bank account. Older cars without a connection will be deemed a safety hazard and financially punished out of existence.

I risk throwing the thread sideways but Aaron Hernandez was a world class DB but his own home video footage should not have been able to be used against him.

Not really IMO as than any person could claim immunity based on the fact the act or events leading up to said act was recorded in the privacy of their home.

The real deal with that is he was too stupid to realize maybe I should turn the camera's off.

Yeah but if I cover the entire car in tin foil I can't see out of the windows!
Ah, but that’s where the self driving comes in.
IMG_3209.jpeg

Do those record audio as well? Because if they do, then I hope I rip a realllllllly loud one moments before an accident.

I think the issue is the potential of a bait and switch in the terms and conditions. In the case of GM, the marketing is focused on one area. But in reality, GM is using onstar in part to sell information on you. No issues with that, but GM selling the data is hidden deep in the terms and conditions, not in clear language on the very first line of the 12 page terms and conditions.

Years ago, states and the federal government would sue organizations for these business practices. Full and clear disclosure is not a issue. Word smithing to mask what is really going on is a separate subject and that is what the article alleges.

If GM is selling the data to a third party, no issue. Why does GM not spell that out in clear and non tricky words if what they are doing is honorable?

It is a flag if you have to hide your true intent deep in the terms and conditions in tricky language.
That's not a bait-n-switch and being to lazy to read the TOS is not an excuse. If you don't want to read it don't sign up for it. End of story.

Absolutely. They already do that with accident recorders in vehicles which look at vehicle speed and if you were on the brake or throttle at time of airbag deployment. I'm sure newer vehicles also record steering wheel angle etc (so you were swerving for your ex-wife, sir!)

In some states there have been convictions from accident data recorders.

I think all of this along with any home video systems should fall under the right against self-incrimination. Onstar and optional programs you knowingly opt in to are a different matter, though.

I risk throwing the thread sideways but Aaron Hernandez was a world class DB but his own home video footage should not have been able to be used against him.
At the moment that data requires a warrant to obtain unless you of course are like the subjects who are part of this story and willingly open yourself up to giving that data to a third party.

That's not a bait-n-switch and being to lazy to read the TOS is not an excuse. If you don't want to read it don't sign up for it. End of story.
Thats fantasy land. Corporations have legislation passed that protects/ provides immunity from liability. Corporations have legislation passed that provides barriers to entry from competition.

Remove the legislation that provides immunity to technology firms, that private individuals don't have, then come back and discuss buyer beware and terms and conditions.

If you truly believe what you post- you should be posting that technology companies should have their immunities for lawsuits and liabilities removed- that are afford thenm and not private individuals. Without that- the playing field is a stacked deck against the individual.

Last edited:
I just found out vehicle manufactures are selling to insurance companies the vehicle info on how the vehicle is driven, like speeding, hard braking and such. So now rates are going be set accordingly. Also touch screens overseas are going away as of 2026. Wonder if that will follow over here. Seems Europe states it's a distraction to have a touch screen and going back to knobs and buttons. Time to go back to 2006 and older. LOL
Elon is going to be angry. Wasn't it the dark overlord that stated how "safe" touchscreens were?

Back