I-95 NY - FL and back observations..

I don't see many actual trip posts on this site. Figured I would add one.

For those who are out west, I-95 is the main thoroughfare on the east coast which travelers use from Maine to Florida. Done it a few times. Anyhoo...

I've noticed that aside from pickup trucks, there are many more sedans in the south, especially the closer you get to Florida, than compared to NY. I wonder why that is.
On I-95, people who are driving slow in the left lane will actually move over, unlike drivers in Long Island who seem to slow down on purpose when you get a little closer. God forbid you flash to pass in Long Island, NY..
The further south you go, the more friendly and talkative people are.
The roads are infinitely better outside of NY.
I love poking around Love truck stops. The snacks, the jerky, the truck gadgets and radios. My family gets a kick every time they announce that "customer X, your shower is ready!"
Georgia seems empty on I-95 on their respective stretch on I-95.
Fireworks which you can buy at stores anywhere on I-95 are a rip-off. Can't blame them for taking advantage of the travelers. PA is the place to go price-wise.
Buc'ees is cool but overrated. The brisket sandwich, however, is awesome.
My wife's 2022 Ford Explorer is awesome in every way.
I hate the heat, but FL at night is amazing.
Driving through Richmond, VA, Baltimore, MD, and DC in the early morning hours makes me want to PIT Maneuver people. Horrible and overly aggressive drivers.
Indian River fruit stores on the side of I-95 in Florida have awesome flavored Pecans. My orange and lemon trees in a box are alive, well, and fruit producing in my bay window in NY.
Regular windshield washer fluid is no match for southern highway bugs. If you're hungry, just stick your head out the window..
Apple Maps did a pretty good job of navigation, between re-routes and spotting speed traps.
NY drivers always get a kick out of each other while in the south, but as soon as we enter NY, we will give each other the finger.
My favorite stretch of I-95 is extreme northern Maryland. Excellent pavement and lighting. Looks so nice and maintained.
Sleep if you have to. I saw plenty of swerving and slower drivers who were clearly dozing off.

That's my travel story. Tell me about yours.

Driving through Richmond, VA, Baltimore, MD, and DC in the early morning hours makes me want to PIT Maneuver people. Horrible and overly aggressive drivers.

I95 between DC and Fredericksburg is often a parking lot during daylight hours, even on weekends. Not to worry though, new choo-choo trains will fix that congestion when the Long Bridge project is done.

Well, except that the choo-choo trains won't run on weekends. Oh well.

Ha! People in FL get over from the left lane? Yeah when you're tailing them they get over.

Source: I'm a Floridian and travel I-95 on weekdays.

I usually fly down but have done the drive twice, I actually enjoy it and go through Buffalo, NY. The last time I drove was Christmas 2019 and it was with my Maxima, it was very comfortable and the CVT/VQ worked in tandem flawlessly, especially through the mountains, with a full trunk and the family on board. I just keep up with the flow of traffic and stay out of left lane unless I feel the need to pass. When stopping for fuel, I pay at the pump unless I need to use the restrooms or grab a coffee. I would definitely do the drive again someday, for now it's flying; I'll be down in a couple of weeks.

I usually fly down but have done the drive twice, I actually enjoy it and go through Buffalo, NY. The last time I drove was Christmas 2019 and it was with my Maxima, it was very comfortable and the CVT/VQ worked in tandem flawlessly, especially through the mountains, with a full trunk and the family on board. I just keep up with the flow of traffic and stay out of left lane unless I feel the need to pass. When stopping for fuel, I pay at the pump unless I need to use the restrooms or grab a coffee. I would definitely do the drive again someday, for now it's flying; I'll be down in a couple of weeks.
I can dig it.

I do the trip regularly. I now avoid I95 and travel N on Rt 77 to 81, through PA. As my destination is somewhat upstate NY.

I95 can be an hour faster, but I the occasional DC, NY and NYC traffic jam can be long enough to make the I95 version (18 hour) one day trip into 2 full days. It is not worth the risk for me.

Rt 81 in VA:

Y8IO3IE.jpg

Last edited:
I do the trip regularly. I now avoid I95 and travel N on Rt 77 to 81, through PA. As my destination is somewhat upstate NY.

I95 can be an hour faster, but I the occasional DC, NY and NYC traffic jam can be long enough to make the I95 version (18 hour) one day trip into 2 full days. It is not worth the risk for me.

Rt 81 in VA:

Y8IO3IE.jpg
Wish I could do it. But I have no choice bit to go through NYShiddy. That's ok I gotta work there every day anway..

I've made this trip south a couple times a year. I-79 to Route 19 in WV, to the WV Turnpike, to I-77 down to Columbia SC. From there I take I-26 over to I-95 down to Jacksonville, then to I-10 over to Baldwin Fl. where I pick up Route 301 down to Ocala. From route 301 at Ocala, I take I-75 down to Naples. Route 19 in WV all the locals have their radar guns at a ready. Since they put the bypass in on 301 a number of years ago, the local speed traps through a couple of the smaller well known speed trap towns went bye, bye.

Lived in N. Va for many a year and drove I95 back and forth to a vacation home, then permanent home, on a lake in northern North Carolina. Yes, I95 between DC and Richmond during the summer months is typically a nightmare. Once south of Richmond, traffic eases, and the stress goes with it. Two years ago we moved again to SW Florida, and so drove from northern North Carolina to Florida several times. My only comment is a generally stress free drive, turns increasingly ugly once crossing the Georgia line on I95. Average speeds jump up and what seems like driver inattentiveness climbs as well.
Florida was fine until we crossed the state and hit I75. I75 in Florida is "death race 202X", or whatever year you are on it. Speeds at least 10 over the posted limit, usually more, and that includes any kind of truck you can name, even those light duty vehicles pulling large trailers who have no business speeding. Immediate and unannounced lane changes at extreme speed, being routinely cut off by many in that process are common place on I75 in Florida, unless you dare to drive well over the posted limit of 75 MPH. Now that we have been living here going on 2 years, driving on I75 is always met with some apprehension, as what I described above is still the norm. Always try and take an alternate route just to avoid I75.

Rt 81 in VA:
I started taking the 81 to 77 Route to Florida when my daughter was living in Charlotte and it is much nicer than 95 and often just as fast because of the traffic between DC and Fredericksburg. The other plus is no tolls which can be ridiculous on I-95. The troopers in Virginia are everywhere and enforce the speed limit strictly. I stopped taking 301 down through Florida because the speed limit changes every 5 minutes and it's easy to get caught if your not paying strict attention to the signs. My preferred route is 95 to Daytona Beach and catch Rt.4 across to 75 but I only do it on weekends because of weekday traffic around Orlando.

PS: I'm finding Florida drivers to be even more aggressive than (and often just as rude as) NY drivers.....and yes, 75 is a very dangerous road....lane changing constantly at high speeds for no apparent reason is the norm.

Every time I hear I-95 I remember my days as a traveling maintenance technician that worked a lot in Philly... Do not miss those lines of traffic...

0YcTMSC.jpg

We've put about 70k on RV from the east coast to west coast, Gulf of Mexico clear up to Manitoba. Think we only have 5 states left. I could write a story on every trip 😆 You never know what you're going to encounter. I've been in some big cities where people were fairly friendly and small towns you got away from fast. The complete opposite of what one would think. I think we were on I95 a couple times last trip to NE, think that's we took into NYC. Don't remember any issues, maybe I scared them who knows. I've driven in some many big cities I'm not afraid to get aggressive to get where I need to. Now on that trip PA and Indiana drivers made me question the human race. Maine drivers were so friendly made me nervous. I really like Boston drivers though, that city was a blast to drive in!

Back