Hurricane Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's crazy is I must have REALLY lucked into mine. When I was telling people this morn at work about finding one Friday, one co-worker said "Wow, you got one of the 60 generators?" He said someone had driven from Houston to get one Friday afternoon. I know at 3 when I picked mine up, there was one left.... Crazy. Well...good investment!

I'm trying to find out damage on the cable news channels, but no one is talking about the damage in Galveston

I see hardly any news of IKE here in the Detroit area as well
54.gif

Open today's Free Press. There's an article of a tornado that went through Plymouth Twp.

I live just 8 miles away. All we had was a good rain and the wind picked up a bit.

Everything okay here. Lost a few more shingles but still no major leaks in the roof. Roofing contractor is supose to show up tomorrow with shingles.

Had to go to Ga. Friday, the reason. My Son In Law who is a flight navigator on a HC-130P/N was being deployed to San Antonio Tx. The C-130 P/N is the rescue model. As of last night he was in SA.

I had a co-worker just return my generator. He was out of power yesterday after storms in the St Louis metro area.

Gas was getting old in it anyway, so I'm glad he ran it for 2-4 hours to give it a good exercise.

We had strong winds and 4-5" of rain Sunday morning. I'm glad I got home from my service calls by 2:30AM yesterday.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I see hardly any news of IKE here in the Detroit area as well
54.gif

You got a Detroit in Canada, eh?

Welcome to mother #$$#^%@##$ detroit
$#@#$@ that wonder boy, $#@$#@

Yeah, Yeah!
Trickey!
Let's show 'em some love.
Welcome to Detroit *gun shot*

I had the misfortune of flying through the remnants of Ike on a 50 seat commuter jet (CRJ) Sunday afternoon. The turbulence was absolutely unreal. The plane was getting tossed around like a leaf in the wind. We were supposed to be flying from Baltimore to Cincinnati, then to Detroit and were on final approach to Cincinnati when they evacuated the tower with reported 90 knot winds. They obviously aborted the landing at that point and we got diverted to Dayton. The plane in front of us aborted its landing due to wind shear and was diverted as well.

Suffice it to say the pilot came on the PA system as we were sitting on the tarmac in Dayton and said "I have 4500 hours of flight time and that's the worst turbulence I've ever encountered."

The people in Dayton didn't even know what hit them, but, to their credit, they were VERY motivated to get us the heck out of there. The minute Cincinnati reopened, they started re-boarding the aircraft and sending us back. Although there was a lot of confusion at the time, they actually managed to get our planeside-checked bags (the bags only had a pink tag with a serial number, no destination or anything else) to their proper destination, despite being severely understaffed for the amount of traffic they got hit with.

The upside of the situation, though is that #1, I'm not a human splat on mother nature's windshield and #2, my wife and I met some great people and wound up hanging out until the next day when we could all leave. Delta got us back to Cincinnati Sunday night, so we at least we didn't have to try to make sleeping arrangements in Dayton. Once in Cincinnati, Delta paid cab fare from the airport to the downtown Westin and back and got us an $89/night rate (real cheap considering the hotel was probably $200 - $300/night normally and considering 4 of us split the cost). The flight back to Detroit was smooth and uneventful, thank goodness.

I'm glad someone had a good experience with the Cincinnati airport. Everytime I've had the misfortunte of flying through there, it's been the biggest armpit of an airport that I've ever seen.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
anyone know when the oil refineries are supposed to be back online?

I believe a lot of them already are.

For those of you who are Dyson customers (or just friends with Terry), his outfit was mostly undamaged (limited to water) but it's without power. No one hurt there, but one tech got her roof blown off. Juggling like most to get stuff back in motion.

Just passing it on.

After six days, eleven hours and five minutes, power has been restored here. I was able to procure a decent little generator at Lowes two days ago. It will be cleaned, waxed and filled with gas and stabilizer before I find it a secure place in the garage.

After almost three years of living here, this is our first extended power outage. I have learned a lot on how to prepare for the next one.

Originally Posted By: Scott P
After six days, eleven hours and five minutes, power has been restored here....

That can't be. The "experts" were saying just after the storm that it could take weeks if not months to get the power restored. You must be imagining that you've got power. /sarcasm

Glad things are getting back to "normal" for you.

Originally Posted By: Scott P
After six days, eleven hours and five minutes, power has been restored here. I was able to procure a decent little generator at Lowes two days ago. It will be cleaned, waxed and filled with gas and stabilizer before I find it a secure place in the garage.

After almost three years of living here, this is our first extended power outage. I have learned a lot on how to prepare for the next one.

I think in the past 3 years, abpout 1/4 of people within 250 miles of the Gulf have bought generators.
LOL.gif

Yep, I've yet to stash mine. Got a few tires I'm going to dispose of tomorrow to clear a spot.

Yep. People keep telling me to take MINE down to Houston and sell it from the Wal-Mart parking lot.
LOL.gif

Not a chance, though. I'm set now.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back