HPL tranny fluid for ATF +4 applications

OK - I would agree with you here. But a fluid can be "designed" for the application, and yet still not be licensed. (see my comments in the post above)
that is true... but why bother with the more expensive uncertified stuff when an appropriate fluid can be had at a competitive price. ?
just would like to point out that currently a gallon of Valvoline brand ATF+4 is $30.99 at Advanced Auto... whereas I just perused the HPL website and while it doesn't actually claim to offer a ATF 4 fluid( or I can't figure out which one they are selling for Mopar applications )
the least expensive offering is $15.95 a quart. https://www.hploil.com/transmission-fluid

one other thing I'd be willing to offer is just about any hydraulic transmission ( all automatics being hydraulic transmissions) you could probably use Universal Tractor Fluid, Hydraulic oil or engine oil in them and they would function.
The point is, whatever fluid the OEM specififes has friction modifiers and all this other neat stuff that match the calibrations of the electronic tuning and clutch pack materials in their transmission offering. I think that is the main point.

Last edited:
However, there is something better that's not officially approved. Redline C+ uses the same Lubrizol add pack as licensed ATF+4 but with a group V base oil. But Chrysler won't license it because it's not the exact same base oil from one of their suppliers.
maybe the base oil doesn't matter.

maybe the base oil doesn't matter.
And once you alter any items in the prescribed "recipe," without re-running all of the relevant tests, you cannot be 100% certain that the fluid will satisfy all of the performance requirements, especially the frictional properties. That testing costs significant money and it is not financially viable for every blender to run those tests for every application they claim to support.

that is true... but why bother with the more expensive uncertified stuff when an appropriate fluid can be had at a competitive price. ?
just would like to point out that currently a gallon of Valvoline brand ATF+4 is $30.99 at Advanced Auto... whereas I just perused the HPL website and while it doesn't actually claim to offer a ATF 4 fluid( or I can't figure out which one they are selling for Mopar applications )
the least expensive offering is $15.95 a quart. https://www.hploil.com/transmission-fluid

The deal maker/breaker here is the ROI; essentially the OCI duration relative to the lube cost. HPL lubes can often go way further than lesser cost choices. This topic is not new; it's discussed with great frequency on BITOG.

It makes no more sense to run an ultra premium lube for at or less than the OEM OCIs. Just as it makes no sense to run a mid-level lubricant to way past its limit of capability. One is a danger to your wallet, the other foolishly dangerous to the equipment. It would make no sense to use HPL for a short to moderate OCI; the Valvoline (or other) licensed product would be well suited. But it would make great sense to use HPL for a very long OCI and/or extreme condition use, as it's likely to hold up better, for longer.

So your point is both valid and invalid, depending on inputs still undefined in your presumptive statement.

And once you alter any items in the prescribed "recipe," without re-running all of the relevant tests, you cannot be 100% certain that the fluid will satisfy all of the performance requirements, especially the frictional properties. That testing costs significant money and it is not financially viable for every blender to run those tests for every application they claim to support.
The question is this ...
Is the ATF+F a true performance spec, or a chemistry/base oil spec?

Sounds like it's the later and not the former based on this explanation:

slacktide_bitog said:
ATF+4 isn't just a spec certification. Chrysler is much more insecure and childish than that. In order to get the license, they require not just specific ingredients, but specific suppliers of those ingredients. A group III base stock from SK, Shell, or Petro-Canada. The only approved additive package is a specific one from Lubrizol.

Therefore, all licensed ATF+4 is the same. That means even the cheapest Walmart brand ATF+4 is just as good as the dealer. IIRC, OEM Mopar ATF+4 is supplied by Valvoline.

However, there is something better that's not officially approved. Redline C+ uses the same Lubrizol add pack as licensed ATF+4 but with a group V base oil. But Chrysler won't license it because it's not the exact same base oil from one of their suppliers.

Presuming the above is true, then the "performance requirements" Critic references really aren't relevant to the license. If it was a true "performance" spec, there would be many other products which could be validated. As as shown in the quote above, when you buy a licensed +4 product, no matter who makes it, it's all pretty much identical. This is why OE and supplier companies love chemistry specs; they get to significantly restrict the players in the approved market.

I prefer true "performance" specs; lay out the task and set the end objectives, and let the product achieve those tasks in any manner they choose. As long as the roads end at the same destination in a safe manner, who cares what roads are taken? Rather than saying "you gotta use our approved oil and additive package ...", consider the following true "performance" based criteria
- must sustain X deg temperature held for 5 hours while sustaining minimum vis value of Y
- must sustain H torque value in a XYZPDQ rig to test standard ABC, with no more than 5% slippage
- etc ...

I suspect that the internal ATF+4 validation for establishing those chemistry standards were based on some performance criteria, but they don't want to release the "spec" as a "performance" standard, because that would open the door to many other ways to pass the INTENT of the validation. So instead, they set a "chemistry" spec known to pass those underlying performance standards, all the while raking in the money from the severely restricted license options.

We must acknowledge the fact that there are some chemistry issues at times that relate to physical components selected for the equipment (typically seals). This would be part of the now old topic of DEX VI vs TES-295, when Allison was released from GM around 2006. Ironically, in this case, using the GM spec'd DEX VI fluid might have actually been detrimental to the input seals used in early production 1000/2000 series units according to Allison but only for the GM produced units at Baltimore. This was, however, a fairly limited concern depending upon who you talked to. The topic is old enough that garners little attention today.

Most of the time, when a spec is chemistry based, it's just a means of limiting external players in the market while maximizing internal profits. It's a layer of marketing that is unnecessary to the final goal, but serves it's master well.

Last edited:
something that has a standard service interval of 120,000 miles, its pretty hard to rationalize higher priced custom lubricants as something that will extend the service life, except maybe to members of the congregation.

how many hundred oil sample reports are on this forum with no real provable result except if you change your lubricants once in a while you will get good service.

I'll leave it at that.

Regarding atf+4 in the RFE transmissions. In the field I’m not really seeing fluid failures in the units. Usually a hard part issue. Valve sticking in valve body or pump, snap ring dislodged, seal knicked slightly on assembly, solenoid or transducer issue, Over running clutch failure from being stuck in mud or snow, too much weight being towed or upgraded tq from tuning burning the OD clutches

There are obviously better base fluid qualities available over what atf+4 can offer at its price point. BUT unless you run it longer to make the price worth it, it’s not necessary many times.

We are generally looking for the “best” in our mind or on paper or someone else’s opinion on this forum so I totally get it. In that aspect it’s not an issue to be searching for a more robust fluid. Maybe call HPL and have them tell you what they think. I have only had experience with people using the amsoil fluid in the RFEs with no issues

Regarding atf+4 in the RFE transmissions. In the field I’m not really seeing fluid failures in the units. Usually a hard part issue. Valve sticking in valve body or pump, snap ring dislodged, seal knicked slightly on assembly, solenoid or transducer issue, Over running clutch failure from being stuck in mud or snow, too much weight being towed or upgraded tq from tuning burning the OD clutches
... only vehicle the 68 is in is a Ram 2500/3500 w Cummins. OD clutch failure,,, or valve body etc....
and you really hit the nail on the head with what is usually the cause... the bonehead with 342 gears in his 2500 with the lift kit, the oversized tires and a 100 HP delete tune and heavy foot. There isn't a tranny fluid on the planet that will fix that. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The question is this ...
Is the ATF+F a true performance spec, or a chemistry/base oil spec?

Sounds like it's the later and not the former based on this explanation:

Presuming the above is true, then the "performance requirements" Critic references really aren't relevant to the license. If it was a true "performance" spec, there would be many other products which could be validated. As as shown in the quote above, when you buy a licensed +4 product, no matter who makes it, it's all pretty much identical. This is why OE and supplier companies love chemistry specs; they get to significantly restrict the players in the approved market.

I prefer true "performance" specs; lay out the task and set the end objectives, and let the product achieve those tasks in any manner they choose. As long as the roads end at the same destination in a safe manner, who cares what roads are taken? Rather than saying "you gotta use our approved oil and additive package ...", consider the following true "performance" based criteria
- must sustain X deg temperature held for 5 hours while sustaining minimum vis value of Y
- must sustain H torque value in a XYZPDQ rig to test standard ABC, with no more than 5% slippage
- etc ...

I suspect that the internal ATF+4 validation for establishing those chemistry standards were based on some performance criteria, but they don't want to release the "spec" as a "performance" standard, because that would open the door to many other ways to pass the INTENT of the validation. So instead, they set a "chemistry" spec known to pass those underlying performance standards, all the while raking in the money from the severely restricted license options.

We must acknowledge the fact that there are some chemistry issues at times that relate to physical components selected for the equipment (typically seals). This would be part of the now old topic of DEX VI vs TES-295, when Allison was released from GM around 2006. Ironically, in this case, using the GM spec'd DEX VI fluid might have actually been detrimental to the input seals used in early production 1000/2000 series units according to Allison but only for the GM produced units at Baltimore. This was, however, a fairly limited concern depending upon who you talked to. The topic is old enough that garners little attention today.

Most of the time, when a spec is chemistry based, it's just a means of limiting external players in the market while maximizing internal profits. It's a layer of marketing that is unnecessary to the final goal, but serves it's master well.
Depending on the execution, I think the two pathways are essentially the same. My understanding is that FCA has allowed licensing of the ATF+4 specification, but in order to have an "licensable" product, a blender has to essentially use the same additive package (supplied by one of the major suppliers) and blend using the specified base oils. As a result, all of the licensed versions are pretty much the same.

Back