ATF +4 Hotshot?

@sloinker, coincidentally enough, a friend asked me this morning about doing a pan drop and filter replacement on his 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. It's only got about 50K km on it (slightly > 30K miles). He does tow a large tent trailer a few times each summer, so the tranny does get a workout.

I drive a 2007 DGC (3.3 with the 4-speed automatic), and replaced the factory transmission pan with an aftermarket one with a drain plug. At that time with the pan off I replaced the transmission filter. Since then I've drained about 2 quarts of ATF every 2nd or so OC, and have been using Castrol ATF+4. I check the level later on level ground, and top up if required. No problems so far, but I don't know the van's history prior to March 2001. It was at 199K km (c. 124K miles) at that time and is now at 245K km (c. 152K miles). No issues with the transmission, and I'd like to keep it that way. I may do another pan drop in the next year or so to change the filter again.

Anyway, back to my friend's 2016 ... the 'net tells me the 5th-gen DGCs with 3.6 Pentastar and the 6-speed automatic have no dipstick, and that doing a pan drop or even a drain-and-fill is quite complex, with the level being very temperature dependent.

What is your procedure?

Would it work to have him leave the van here overnight, already parked on ramps, and then drop the pan the next day, change the filter, measure whatever came out, and add the appropriate amount of new fluid? I would probably add a bit (250 ml?) to compensate for the volume of ATF left in the old filter. This method would mean the old fluid and new fluid are at the same temperature.

Thanks!
If he isn’t set on changing the filter he can simply pump fluid out of the dipstick to tube(there is a tube just no dipstick) measure it and replace with the exact amount. He should do this cold.

May I ask why? Their fuel additives and oil additives sell well at the parts store that’s for sure. Not as popular as Lucas junk but definitely good movers.
May I ask why you assume that selling well at the parts stores equates with a premium product?

Hot Shot is very good at marketing, and they snagged several high-recognition people for their “pro-sumer” names.

If MolaKule’s telling you to avoid Hot Shot/ Blue Diamond, you can bet it’s based on questionable products and not on emotions. There’s nothing to be gained from “premium” ATF+4 fluids, and there’s nothing lost by using “basic” approved ATF+4 fluids either. The certification ensures there’s no real wiggle room and that should make it simple for the end user.

Chrysler trans’ haven’t always had the greatest track record, but if you want to screw up a late model one real quick-like, use a fluid that’s not actually approved ATF+4.

May I ask why you assume that selling well at the parts stores equates with a premium product?

Hot Shot is very good at marketing, and they snagged several high-recognition people for their “pro-sumer” names.

If MolaKule’s telling you to avoid Hot Shot/ Blue Diamond, you can bet it’s based on questionable products and not on emotions. There’s nothing to be gained from “premium” ATF+4 fluids, and there’s nothing lost by using “basic” approved ATF+4 fluids either. The certification ensures there’s no real wiggle room and that should make it simple for the end user.

Chrysler trans’ haven’t always had the greatest track record, but if you want to screw up a late model one real quick-like, use a fluid that’s not actually approved ATF+4.

I understand all that I was genuinely curious about the actual reason it’s not a good product. It doesn’t matter to me, I do not own a vehicle that takes ATF+4, I just like to learn stuff.

Getting around to my second ATF fluid and filter change on my '14 Dodge minivan with the 6 speed. I did the original service @ 48k miles and I am at 86K miles now. So within a year or so. Planning ahead. These trannys have a history of relative short life spans if you don't service them. I will try to get the normal 200k miles from mine like my last couple Chrysler minivans. I sold/traded in both previous minivans without tranny problems but with regular fluid/filter changes. maybe I was just lucky. Anyhoo, I believe the ATF+4 is a full synthetic minimum spec. I have used factory, Valvoline, Red Line and other brands. I came across this brand and it looks interesting to me and the cost difference is negligible compared to factory fill. What does everyone think? Snake oil or as good or better than the rest?
Mopar has a list of approved product who produce ATF+4 click this link to see https://www.centerforqa.com/licensed-atf4-brands/

I understand all that I was genuinely curious about the actual reason it’s not a good product. It doesn’t matter to me, I do not own a vehicle that takes ATF+4, I just like to learn stuff.
from what I understand ATF4 uses a additive only produced by Lubrizol.. and Mopar does have a list of approved ATF4 products who have the lubrizol additive in them... https://www.centerforqa.com/licensed-atf4-brands/

The only unlicesned ATF+4 I would recommend is Red Line C+. It has the exact frictional characteristics as a licensed ATF+4 except with a better base oil and better cold flow. Otherwise, any licensed ATF+4 will serve you well. If you look at the specs of licensed ATF+4, Castrol Transmax ATF+4 has a slightly better pour point and slightly lower brookfield visc, but thats splitting hairs.

The only unlicesned ATF+4 I would recommend is Red Line C+. It has the exact frictional characteristics as a licensed ATF+4 except with a better base oil and better cold flow.
is there documentation from RL attesting to this, or is it a guess? There are other characteristics to some of these fluids that simply will not show up on a PDS or VOA that can significantly alter a fluid’s operational behavior & suitability.

is there documentation from RL attesting to this, or is it a guess? There are other characteristics to some of these fluids that simply will not show up on a PDS or VOA that can significantly alter a fluid’s operational behavior & suitability.
Only personal experience, and what Dave at Red Line told me about C+. I've been running C+ in my Ram 1500 65RFE for 8 years now with 0 issues with shifting or shudder. The RFE trans are notorious for not liking anything but licensed ATF+4 due to its specific frictional properties.

My '11 Ram 1500 currently has 180k on it. The first time I replaced the filters I installed a Dorman pan which has a drain plug. I believe that I have changed the filters twice, and I just drain and refill whatever comes out annually. Sometimes I will drain/fill, run it to the next LOF and drain/fill one more time. Have never had a problem with the transmission. I've currently been using the Fram/Amalie ATF+4 because it was the least expensive for me. I've also used Valvoline and Castrol, and I've never noticed any difference.

Back