ZF 8HP Transmission Fluid

The amount of effort that I've put into this shows just how much I do not want to change this fluid myself.

For reference, the 2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7L has an exhaust crossover pipe that goes right underneath of the transmission pan and is exactly underneath the drain plug for the pan. I'm beginning to feel that the easiest way to do this, if I were to do it myself, would be to remove the exhaust, drop the pan, prelim fill, put the exhaust back on and then final fill.

What a calamity?

I've been calling around and 1st thing I learned is good luck finding someone who is even willing to touch the transmission. I was able to find one place that said $1200 all in for a pan drop with Mopar Fluid and a Mopar pan. Another shop said $600 all in using the following fluid and an additive (didn't specify which additive).

Medallion Plus Full Synthetic Global Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
Medallion Plus Full Synthetic Global Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) PDS

Neither shop is interested in me bringing parts, the more expensive option said, we make money on parts and the other said they can't warranty without providing all parts. Both statements are completely understandable.

Now that you've read my novel, ever heard of this fluid? I'm a little ehhhh about using a multi-vehicle fluid in this trans, however I do know that people have had success with the new MaxLife in it. Just nervous.

I feel like it's looking more and more like I'll be doing it myself, which extra sucks because it's going to get cold soon.

That's crazy pricing for a transmission fluid change. My father's 2020 Grand Cherokee is coming up on a fluid change soon. I've done a fluid and filter change on this transmission, but in an F30 BMW 335. It wasn't too bad. I haven't looked under the Grand Cherokee yet to see what kind of fun I'll be dealing with, but I'll likely be using MaxLife.

If I recall, the filter is integrated into the pan as well, thus you need a new pan. I could be wrong but owned a 2015 and recall it being.. well.. dumb.

Out of curiosity, what is the mileage on it?
73,500 or so.
That's crazy pricing for a transmission fluid change. My father's 2020 Grand Cherokee is coming up on a fluid change soon. I've done a fluid and filter change on this transmission, but in an F30 BMW 335. It wasn't too bad. I haven't looked under the Grand Cherokee yet to see what kind of fun I'll be dealing with, but I'll likely be using MaxLife.
Using Mopar parts, it's not a cheap job. From a dealer the fluid is $30-35/qt iirc and the pan is $350. So that's >$530 in material. I'm pretty sure an aftermarket pan/filter is still $150-200.
If I recall, the filter is integrated into the pan as well, thus you need a new pan. I could be wrong but owned a 2015 and recall it being.. well.. dumb.
Yeah, the filter is in the pan. I think there is an aftermarket plastic pan with a removable filter. I know that PPE makes a pan with a deep sump and a removable filter.

73,500 or so.

Using Mopar parts, it's not a cheap job. From a dealer the fluid is $30-35/qt iirc and the pan is $350. So that's >$530 in material. I'm pretty sure an aftermarket pan/filter is still $150-200.

Yeah, the filter is in the pan. I think there is an aftermarket plastic pan with a removable filter. I know that PPE makes a pan with a deep sump and a removable filter.
The ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid is $16 on FCPeuro.com.

Certainly. If I do it myself, that is what I'll be using.
Do you happen to know if the filters are the same? I haven't really done the research yet, FCP Euro sells a few "trans fluid change kits" with the pan/filter, fluid, and even new bolts for a pretty good price. The car I did the change on was a 2015 BMW 335XI with the ZF8 and the pans look similar.

Can you change the fluid with the drain plug without replacing the pan and filter? :unsure:

Will a BMW pan fit? Those cost much less than the Mopar pan.

I don't see why you'd need to remove the exhaust - you can work around it. Clearance is a bit tight, but manageable. Unless things are different on a DS?

I was looking at it from the perspective, I could screw around with fitting my fat hands in there, buying tools to fit or just drop the exhaust.

I'll be under the truck in 3000 miles for the next oil change.

I did call a dealer that is a little out of the way for me and they said they would do a fluid exchange on it for $425. So no pan/filter change, but fresh fluid.

I bought the necessary materials for the same job (2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 with 93k). I bought the green Pentosin fluid made for the ZF and the Autotecnica aluminum pan with replaceable filter. I am dreading doing this, but I don’t have $1000+ to spend at the dealership either. My truck also has the stupidly-located drain plug/exhaust crossover combo.The part where I’m supposed to get it to second gear on jack stands doesn’t sit well with me.

Sure, they’re looking to save every nickel they can. They’ll sell you an MV fluid for the cost of OEM fluid whenever they can.

Out here dealers love BG and MOC, especially MOC.

Can you change the fluid with the drain plug without replacing the pan and filter? :unsure:

Will a BMW pan fit? Those cost much less than the Mopar pan.
It wasn't the 8 speed but I had a Jaguar with the ZF 6 speed that ruptured the lower cooling line. I used the pump to evacuate it(it did the first round on its own😂) and then kept filling it from the the fill hole. If the 8 speed is the same the full line is where it starts trickling out at a set temperature, that's all it took. I did that until I had clean fluid and then replaced the cooler lines. I did not do the filter at that time. I don't think most ZF's have drain plugs as they quote them as "non serviceable" unless that's changed now.

Back