change transmission filter before or after the full fluid flush?

My 2012 Rav4 is different than yours but I've been doing 30-40K fluid exchanges with a Mityvac 7400 through the trans dipstick tube. At around 170,000 miles I dropped the trans pan to replace the filter and there was not a lot junk on the magnets (I wish I would have taken photos). Go over to Rav4world (dot) com as they have a ton of info for different year Rav4's.

if i just unhook the cooler line at the start and drain fluid from there rather then pan dropping at the start does that benefit me at all?
or is it best to just pan drop, drain fluid, and then fill and do the cooler line drain
It will lessen the amount in the pan when you drop it.

Yeah, last time I did a change, I disconnected the line from the Cooler and let the car pump everything out. Then I changed the filter and added a few quarts to pump out what was in the Converter. Then I reconnected the Cooler Line and filled..

On this car if you only drop the Pan, you'll get like 5 qts but it's a 12.7 qt fill. Doing it from the Cooler gets it all.

hey all im planning to do a full fluid flush for my tranny to swap out all 10-12 quarts and put in fresh fluid. i also want to change the filter to have peace of mind for the future. however i have two scenarios that are causing a dilemna and not sure what to do

Vehicle is 2015 Rav 4

1. if i pan drop, dump out the old 4 quarts, take out the filter, install new filter, fill up 4 quarts, and then start the flush procedure, then 6-8 quarts of the remaining old dirty fluid will end up dirtying my new filter a bit? because i assume when i take off the cooler line and start the flush procedure the new fluid will push the old fluid thru the tranny and then the old fluid will come out but at the same time the old fluid will dirty my new filter?

2. method #2 is that i disconnect the cooler line, dump out whatever fluid that comes out, add in new fluid, then dump out more then add in etc. and then when im almost done my flush, drop the pan, change the filter. and then replenish with whatever amount of fluid the pan would take. but then this way the new fluid would end up going thru the old filter and end up becoming 'dirtier' then new

i don't know if maybe my schematic of transmisison fluid and cooler lines and what fluid is coming thru the filter is correct, but if my scenario's above are correct then it seems like both ways the new fluid won't really truly be new. i also feel like method 1 is easier.

any ideas or am i really overthinking?

thx
I like your term “ old dirty fluid”. Unless it’s been cooked through neglect, you’ll be hard pressed to even notice the difference between old fluid and new fluid. I’ve cut open transmission filters and usually there is usually nothing there unless your transmission is already trashed.The magnet has most of the particles and it’s the most important to keep clean. It makes no difference what order you choose IMHO.

@apollo18 I don't mean to keep bashing you, but you're still over-thinking this. No matter which way you do it or in which order, you're still better than the vast majority of people out there who never give their transmission a second thought. Git 'er done!

@apollo18 I don't mean to keep bashing you, but you're still over-thinking this. No matter which way you do it or in which order, you're still better than the vast majority of people out there who never give their transmission a second thought. Git 'er done!
Ahaha no bashing at all! Thanks for the input
I actually did the change and now feel stress free agaha

The easiest way is to get a magnifine filter. Find some rubber cooler hose and inset it permanently. Then when flushing just put both ends in a bucket. No need to worry about which is coming or going.
+1 Most Japanese transmission have rock catcher filters. I would definitely add a Magnefine filter to help actually filter out contaminants that can wear the valve body.

+1 Most Japanese transmission have rock catcher filters. I would definitely add a Magnefine filter to help actually filter out contaminants that can wear the valve body.
I was thinking on this but was concerned about flow if it restricts too much and or all that jazz

hey all im planning to do a full fluid flush for my tranny to swap out all 10-12 quarts and put in fresh fluid. i also want to change the filter to have peace of mind for the future. however i have two scenarios that are causing a dilemna and not sure what to do

Vehicle is 2015 Rav 4

1. if i pan drop, dump out the old 4 quarts, take out the filter, install new filter, fill up 4 quarts, and then start the flush procedure, then 6-8 quarts of the remaining old dirty fluid will end up dirtying my new filter a bit? because i assume when i take off the cooler line and start the flush procedure the new fluid will push the old fluid thru the tranny and then the old fluid will come out but at the same time the old fluid will dirty my new filter?

2. method #2 is that i disconnect the cooler line, dump out whatever fluid that comes out, add in new fluid, then dump out more then add in etc. and then when im almost done my flush, drop the pan, change the filter. and then replenish with whatever amount of fluid the pan would take. but then this way the new fluid would end up going thru the old filter and end up becoming 'dirtier' then new

i don't know if maybe my schematic of transmisison fluid and cooler lines and what fluid is coming thru the filter is correct, but if my scenario's above are correct then it seems like both ways the new fluid won't really truly be new. i also feel like method 1 is easier.

any ideas or am i really overthinking?

thx
I wouldn't do a flush; I would do an exchange or drain and fill Al

Back