✨HPL Results✨: Did 3,000mi make a Difference?

@RDY4WAR hm it's intriguing, but not sure if I want to spend $80+ on the HDMI; plus another $15 on the HPL EC. This is essentially just to make the engine look cleaner. Yes, there is some harsh varnish and we're all OCD about our engines, but realistically it's fine...((now unless it can solve the oil consumption issues.))

There is no way on god's green earth that car had M1 from the start.
Doesn't matter which oil you use, lack of maintenance caused this. Clearly the original owner did not maintain it properly.

Just because he the new owner is changing oil on time will not magically take away years of neglect I don't care what oil it is HPL or not.

The Carfax report showed oil changes being done at lube shops across the country. Yes, they weren't done EVERY 3-5k miles, but then again often times service histories aren't recorded on the VIN. No doubt this car's first owner wasn't as good.

@Cujet @OVERKILL

The Carfax report showed oil changes being done at lube shops across the country. Yes, they weren't done EVERY 3-5k miles, but then again often times service histories aren't recorded on the VIN. No doubt this car's first owner wasn't as good.

@Cujet @OVERKILL
Lube shops scream red flag to me, I witnessed so much BS from these lube shops from not even changing the oil, only changing some of it, not changing the oil filters, etc.

And they use the cheapest oil they can get, if you pay for a full synthetic there is a good possibility you are only getting a synthetic blend.

Doesn't matter which oil you use, lack of maintenance caused this. Clearly the original owner did not maintain it properly.

Just because he the new owner is changing oil on time will not magically take away years of neglect I don't care what oil it is HPL or not.
Do you suggest leaving it as is? Because realistically it's just a bunch of dark brown varnish; not ideal but at this point.

Lube shops scream red flag to me, I witnessed so much BS from these lube shops from not even changing the oil, only changing some of it, not changing the oil filters, etc.

And they use the cheapest oil they can get, if you pay for a full synthetic there is a good possibility you are only getting a synthetic blend.
Well the point I was going to draw is that this car hasn't been inside of a mechanic shop for an oil change since 170k (that was when I started doing it myself). So the carfax report isn't going to show any oil change for the past 60k.

Carfax reports are helpful but not everything is included.

Do you suggest leaving it as is? Because realistically it's just a bunch of dark brown varnish; not ideal but at this point.
That is a choice you are going to have to make, it has 223,000 miles.

There is products out there that work such as BG Dynamic but you have to consider the risk, cost, age/mileage to decide for yourself if it is worth it or to just keep up with the oil changes as is and run it til it dies.

The varnishing issue, in my opinion, is not as alarming as it's being made out to be. Varnishing is a common occurrence in engines, especially those with high mileage like the 2003 Hyundai Tiburon in question. It's an inevitable byproduct of the combustion process and the heat within the engine.

While it's true that excessive varnishing can be a sign of poor maintenance, it's also important to remember that the car in question has been under the care of its current owner for only seven years and was bought with an already high mileage of 160k. The varnishing could very well be a result of the maintenance habits of the previous owner.

As for the use of HPL's synthetic cleaner oil, I would argue that it's not a magic bullet for engine varnishing. It's an aid, not a cure. The expectation that it would drastically clean the engine after one use might be a bit unrealistic.

Moreover, the cost of HPL products is indeed a factor to consider. If the car is running fine and not showing any significant performance issues, continuously spending on expensive oil products might not be the most economical choice.

In conclusion, while it's important to maintain our vehicles and use quality products, it's equally important to have realistic expectations and make cost-effective decisions.

Now, if it was my vehicle, I would risk some money and buy a case of @High Performance Lubricants PCMO 5W-40. That oil is amazing. Run it for a full OCI, and keep an eye on it. Buy a cheap borescope camera from Amazon and look under the valves cover every 2K miles. If you notice that it started removing the lacquer and varnish, replace the oil filter, top off your oil, and keep going. Ultimately, it is up to you if it's worth spending the money to clean up the neglect of the previous owner.

Now, if it was my vehicle, I would risk some money and buy a case of @High Performance Lubricants PCMO 5W-40. That oil is amazing. Run it for a full OCI, and keep an eye on it. Buy a cheap borescope camera from Amazon and look under the valves cover every 2K miles. If you notice that it started removing the lacquer and varnish, replace the oil filter, top off your oil, and keep going. Ultimately, it is up to you if it's worth spending the money to clean up the neglect of the previous owner.
And change the oil filter every couple thousand miles. Cut the filter and see how much debris is in the element. When you have established a trend, increase the oil filter change interval when it's safe to do so.

✨Original Thread & Original Valve Cover: 225k✨ ^^^

Note photos in Posts #1 & #2 were taken at different times of the day.
View attachment 160125

If your happy? I'm happy :) I don't see any difference. What does it look like in the oil filter?

The blowby is your issue here, theres exhaust fumes going in the crankcase which isn't good.
That's right, and any oil regardless of how good it cleans is fighting an endless battle. In order for the oil or additive to do any cleaning the blow-by would have to be drastically reduced or eliminated.

A B12 piston soak and then a few full runs using the HPL PCMO oil has the possibility of dramatically reducing consumption, if you are concerned with the consumption level you are experiencing. This is likely due to non-functional oil control rings based on the incredible amount of deposits visible under the valve cover.

Rule of thumb: If it looks bad where you CAN see it, it is far, FAR worse where you can't, such as the ring land area.

I bought the car with 160k. I mean, it burns oil and has blowby.
For it to have that much varnish and some sludge build-up now, it's obvious that the oil and oil changes were not on the right track for the first 160K miles. I've seen engines with 180K miles on them that look like new inside from good oil and OCI maintenance.

Back