Under the Valve Cover... how's it lookin'?

Changed the valve cover gasket a few days ago. Car runs fine but consumes oil. This is what under the valve cover looks like at 224,000 original miles.

Oil changes every 3k with Mobil 1 Full synthetic or for a whole I was running Shell Rotella T6.
Kinda disappointed it wasn't cleaner. Thoughts? And what do yours look like?
PXL_20230418_182051654.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@FCD I've owned it for the last 7 years. Since about 160k.

If you zoom in, hopefully not too much quality was lost, but there are a couple little hot spots on the cam lobes and scoring. Though nothing was feelable. Car does consume oil (1500mi) and has blowby. I'm the second owner. So I believe the car wasn't as well maintained in it's early years, never had overheated in my ownership and runs pretty good all things considered.

Last edited:
Looks like a job for HPL Engine Cleaner.
Or just switch to Mobil1 flagship oil (FS 0W-40/5W-40) and call it a day.
I typically ran 5w30 or 10w40 Mobil 1.
But for a time I did run Shell Rotella T6 because it came in the most ideal 5w40; but I stopped using it due to the higher cost.

I never really considered the European car formula oils

@Hyundai Respecter definitely. She was a college student that her parents bought the car for and the CarFax shows that she drove it all over the country.

Looking down the fill hole it looks really shiny. The cleanest I've seen from these 2.0L motors irl, so that helps explain some of my disappointment when I pulled the valve cover off.

I never really considered the European car formula oils
Maybe it's time to try. These oils are held to a much higher standard and are subjects to more extreme testing, as compared to "normal" Mobil 1 offerings. They're known for the ability to clean better, and are able to go the distance in extended OCIs. Although I wouldn't recommend extended OCIs in your case. Your short OCIs with a Mobil1 0W-40 would likely provide a lot more cleaning.

@Graham Piccinini I'd be up try it...too bad my local Walmart put a lot of the Mobil 1 oils on rollback lol. Stocked up on a bit of my usual 10w40 while I could.

Back