Under the Valve Cover... how's it lookin'?

Looks like a bunch of short trips to me. But running at 224k and a little oil consumption still usable. I agree with a regular diet of M1 0w40, and or HPL you should be able to free up those rings and lower oil consumption.

I've ran Seafoam on my other car and it freed up the rings (same oil type/changes).

Never heard of HPL?

I wouldn't have expected it to look like that either, so most likely the result of PO's habits as many here think. We obsess on BITOG honestly, it's fine. A good cleaner might help your consumption, but it might not.

What we do have here is yet again confirmation that top tier modern oils are much better at keeping an engine clean then cleaning a dirty one.

Changed the valve cover gasket a few days ago. Car runs fine but consumes oil. This is what under the valve cover looks like at 224,000 original miles.

Oil changes every 3k with Mobil 1 Full synthetic or for a whole I was running Shell Rotella T6.
Kinda disappointed it wasn't cleaner. Thoughts? And what do yours look like?
have you checked your Coolant Temperature Sensor? do your engine oil smell gasoline?

Not a valve cover but here is the pcv valve being changed on my Audi A4 at around 80k miles. Mostly castrol 0w40 on 5k oci. I was pleased with the top end condition
6152.jpeg

And valve cover off my 2012 transit connect at 180 k miles with whatever oil was around at 10k oci
7105.jpeg

Not a valve cover but here is the pcv valve being changed on my Audi A4 at around 80k miles. Mostly castrol 0w40 on 5k oci. I was pleased with the top end condition
View attachment 152554

And valve cover off my 2012 transit connect at 180 k miles with whatever oil was around at 10k ociView attachment 152555
Nice and clean Audi engine 👍.Here is my honda engine run by euro 0w-30 and 0w-40 at 180k km.

Attachments

• 20180630_154410.jpg
    20180630_154410.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 95
I think when you buy a car with 160,000 miles on it, all bets are off. That’s a lot of miles to try to clean up just by doing synthetic oil changes. I know it’s disappointing, and sure, try to clean it up with some products to maybe free up the rings, but at 224,000 miles, you keep on running it and regardless of what happens...get another 100,000 miles out of it.

I remember, back around 1963, a 16 year old cousin bought a used Ford with a 312 V8. He removed the valve covers. The sludge was so thick, you could remove it with an ice cream scoop. He did not have that car for long.

Looks typical. I got berrated last week for the condition of my 2010 Accord with 245k
You have to understand, this is an oil site, we like to see “spotless” under a valve cover. Yours definitely isn’t THAT. But I wouldn’t feel bad, my daughters 2008 Honda CRV looked a little like that at 120,000 miles when I adjusted the valves. At 180,000 now, I’m sure it looks a lot closer to what your engine looks like. And those are great engines. Some engines just have high spots where the oil tends to collect and varnish, I think these are those engines.

It seems HPL is highly regarded here as of late for cleaning the sludge. I may try that. I have an oil change coming up at 225k. (224.7k now)

If I do proceed with it, I plan on removing the valve cover again for a before/after.

It seems HPL is highly regarded here as of late for cleaning the sludge. I may try that. I have an oil change coming up at 225k. (224.7k now)

If I do proceed with it, I plan on removing the valve cover again for a before/after.
Yeah, I think I would try the same if my engine was dirty. I may end up just trying HPL anyway based off all the good things I hear about it. I like companies with owners that will actually communicate with customers, it sounds like they are that type of company.

PCV swap on my Sportwagen around 85K. Mostly Liquimoly oils with multiple rounds of their Engine Flush. 5-7K OCIs. HPL for some of this (last ~10K) with their EC to start. This engine is >2x stock power and not driven lightly.

FB_IMG_1682475388068.jpg

Last edited:
Back