How "universal" can DexCool be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently had the patrol car (2008 Dodge Charger 5.9 Hemi) in the shop for routine maintenance. The coolant level was low and the mechanic did not have any other coolant than generic "green" EG. He ordered something from the local parts place and it was a DexCool/GM compatible coolant. No mention of HOAT (what Dodge recommends) but the "colors matched" as the mechanic says so he topped off with it. I was skeptical and told him to just top up with distilled water, but he insisted on pouring it in. What I want to know is how compatible is this mix? I know that adding non-DexCool to DexCool filled units can cause problems. Would this be the case with my situation? Am I due for some serious cooling system trouble and will get a new car out of this? TIA.

Me neither. This is just the car I get to drive and have no control over maintenance (not even allowed under the hood)
crazy2.gif

It depends on how much dexclone was added but probably won't affect anything. The original green formula is a closer match in compatibility to the G-05 coolant in a Dodge. The problem is the coolant dye colors would clash. Dexcool is chemically compatible with most other coolants, but you should still not mix coolant types.

They're asking for a sludge problem mixing GO-5/Mopar orange with a Dexcool/Dexclone-they should have put the right stuff in it. I had this exact problem w/my company van, a 6.0 PSD Ford that has had religiously maintained Motorcraft Premium Gold (GO-5) it's whole life-idiots drained the radiator & put Safety-Kleen in it, turned everything a greenish brown. Made them flush it & put the correct AF in it-still looks green, still smells strange-I fully expect to have cooling system trouble now if they don't get rid of it.

If you look on the back of a jug of G-05, it actually warns you to never mix OAT coolants (Dexcool) with HOATs (G-05). People need to start understanding that the color of an antifreeze means nothing, and the important thing is the chemistry/ingredients in the antifreeze.

bullwinkle - I've seen the results of dex-clone + old school green in my mom's Jeep. Lots of disgusting smelling greenish brown sludge. Only issue it presented was clogging the heater core so badly the heat completely stopped working. Once I flushed the heck out of it, all has been well. Probably gonna flush it again this summer in case anything else breaks loose in there.

IMO DexCool is the least "universal" of all modern coolants. Which makes it odd that some of the ones billing themselves as "universal" (Prestone, for example) are DexCool clones.

I think that G-05 or one of the P-0AT Asian car formlas would be far more universal, at least in terms of 'do no harm' even if not in terms of being as good for extended drain intervals.. And Peak Global Lifetime is reportedly very good.

And by the way I agree with a previous post... it would have been WAY better to put old-school inorganic coolant (aka 'green') in a G-05 vehicle than it would be to put DexClone in.

Texaco marketed it as the universal coolant, IIRC.

shortyb-- Thought you retired?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
shortyb-- Thought you retired?

I did. But found that I can't play golf and had too much time in between gigs at Michelin and BMW. Went back to what I really love doing and was like I never left. Guess after 27 years of doing it, I finally know what my calling is. If you find yourself speeding through Simpsonville, try using the BITOG code for some courtesy
laugh.gif

Convinced the shop foreman that some dire drastic things may happen with the mix and got a full flush and fill with G-05.

I would put in what the manual recommends. If I were you, I would get the radiator flushed and filled with the correct coolant.

the orange dyed antifreeze in those chrysler's is G-05. I've had to prove it to so many people via the Motor Magazine article that I actually keep extra copies on hand, people take them with them all the time..
It's hard to convince people you can't judge an antifreeze by its color anymore. when I show them the article and especially the line that says G-05 is dyed orange for chrysler, I remind them that Motor Magazine is the defacto magazine for the professional tech. Usually I get the sale for G-05, sometimes someone else will say prestone's universal and I have to go through the whole speel about prestone is universal in terms of a liquid mixing with a liquid, not a liquid working with another liquid.

Another reason I don't like "universal" fluids. Use the correct fluid, and not a one-size-fits-all.

Originally Posted By: EricF
prestone is universal in terms of a liquid mixing with a liquid, not a liquid working with another liquid.

I love that line.

Works great in my Subaru legacy but don't mix it with anything else. Car has over 200,000 and the inside of the cooling passages look new. No pitting, no corrosion.

You should use what was speced for your vehicle.

I never mix different coolants BUT I do use Dexcool in cars that are specd for it. I just do a drain and fill every other year to add fresh Dexcool coolant...

Also replaced the rad cap every 3-4 years. Very cheap insurance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back