First Truck that Runs HOAT Coolant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive had a 06 Dodge truck since it was new, and I had my first complete flush and refill of the system at my trusted local mechanic.

The truck was still running the original pink dyed HOAT mopar coolant @ 61k miles and 6.5 years.

I know, I know, I am LATE changing it.

They flushed the system, and refilled it with a HOAT coolant that was Amber in color, probably Zerex G-05 or the Ford HOAT? Either way, I don't really care what brand/color. The owner who I know for years assured me it was a compatible HOAT formulation.

I have no experience with HOAT formulations, and was wondering how this stuff holds up?

I have past experience with the traditional old green stuff, and Dexcool, both of which I always flushed every 3 years. (I never trusted Dexcool as a long life coolant...or any coolant for that matter).

I plan to change out this HOAT stuff every 3 years from this point on. I only ran it 6.5 years and 61k miles on the initial fill because I simply forgot in all honesty, but ironically I have been faithful to 3 year flushes on all my other vehicles (of old green and dexcool).

Since this forum practically breathes automotive fluids (although I hear thats quite bad for your health in the case of coolants
wink.gif
) I wanted to get the opinions of members here.

Doing some searching it seems to be one of the best coolant formulations for light duty vehicles. Am i wrong with this assumption? 3 year flushes a waste of my time and money? 5 year? Opinions?

Last edited:
With the green stuff, I did 2 year radiator drain and refill, and never had corrosion issues, or any cooling system problems.

With the new "5 year" advertised, I am doing a 4 year radiator drain and refill.

IMHO no need for flush on that schedule.

Last edited:
Ok guys, good to know I can do a partial drain and refill from now on. The only reason I wanted a full flush was because of the extended run I did on the initial coolant. Plus, who wants to mix dye colors?
wink.gif

Ok, from now on I will stick with radiator drains.

Just for your info-Motorcraft Gold (or Premium Gold) is the EXACT same coolant as the Mopar, and may be available cheaper from your friendly Ford dealer parts department, and if you need some for top-off purposes they even carry a 50/50 premix. That's what I put in my '06 Ram, I couldn't get all the red Mopar out with just a drain & refill, so now it's light pink.

And if you are doing a drain/refill & not a flush, I would try to do it every 3 years since it is somewhat challenging to get all the old coolant out of the heater core & block, and unless there's a problem somewhere you should be OK. Now if you had a Ford truck or van with a 6.0 diesel-that'd be a different story!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Just for your info-Motorcraft Gold (or Premium Gold) is the EXACT same coolant as the Mopar, and may be available cheaper from your friendly Ford dealer parts department, and if you need some for top-off purposes they even carry a 50/50 premix. That's what I put in my '06 Ram, I couldn't get all the red Mopar out with just a drain & refill, so now it's light pink.

Zerex G-05 at NAPA has got to be cheaper.

Zerex G-05 at Carquest is cheaper than NAPA, at least in Orange County, CA. O'Reilly has Zerex G-05 too, similar priced with NAPA.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Zerex G-05 at NAPA has got to be cheaper.
Last gallon I bought at NAPA was $23 for full strength G-05, it was $17 at the Ford dealer.

Thanks for all the info.

It's funny that Mopar dyes their HOAT pink, which is rather close in color to GM's dexcool.

Thats confusing for a consumer who does not know any better!

I always knew that color never played a role in the chemical make-up of coolant, but I honestly think it should be standardized.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back