How long can you run a car with no oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'm guessing you may get lucky.
Like someone here said, if it ain't sounding like a box of rocks well.......

Nonsense, if it was the shop's fault then they were negligent and it can't be swept under the rug. A 2014 vehicle has a lot of life left in it and there's a distinct possibility the engine was damaged by this event. No way I would feel like I got lucky and just wait to see how it goes 5-8 years from now.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
If you are still driving it today and it doesnt sound like a rock tumbler, you are probably fine. good luck.

I agree with this, don't agree to an expensive "repair" without any evidence that there is actually any damage. Best of luck to the OPer!

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: CassTyson
I added 4 qts and that put it just at the safe zone on the dipstick. We then limped to a garage, and the mechanic said it was leaking around the oil filter cap. He replaced the filter and the o-ring under the cap, then topped it off with not quite another quart.

What is the oil filter cap? Do you mean the oil filler cap?

This engine uses a cartridge oil filter which sits inside an oil filter housing. The housing has a cap on top, with a rubber gasket. I'm guessing the gasket was not installed correctly on the cap when the filter was replaced. Sometimes also if you over-tighten the cap, it can begin to leak as well.

What is the oil filter cap? Do you mean the oil filler cap?

it is a cartridge filter on the top of the engine, with a cap and o-ring. common on GM's, hyundai's / kias.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
There's a guy on one of the Nissan forums that does this technique everytime he changes the oil in his Z32. He drains all the oil,starts his engine with NO oil in it and idles it for a few minutes to (get all the old oil out),fills it back up,then goes on his way. Good God!

IIRC there was a member or two over the years here that made similar claims. Not good!

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
it is a cartridge filter on the top of the engine, with a cap and o-ring. common on GM's, hyundai's / kias.

As well as on Mercedes, BMW, Audi/VW...

Nonsense to you as well grouchy. I was talking about the engine and not the poor service
he got. I would hope a 2014 has a lot of life in it.....

Nonsense, if it was the shop's fault then they were negligent and it can't be swept under the rug. A 2014 vehicle has a lot of life left in it and there's a distinct possibility the engine was damaged by this event. No way I would feel like I got lucky and just wait to see how it goes 5-8 years from now.

Nonsense, if it was the shop's fault then they were negligent and it can't be swept under the rug.

Even if it was the shop's fault, the owner will be partially to blame for this as he continued driving after the oil light came on.

As much as we complain about overcomplication of cars and electronic oil level sensors, this is probably one situation where it could have helped avert engine damage.

Reason #4 why I do my own oil changes. The shop that did the oil change apparently didn't secure cap on the cartridge oil filter compartment correctly.

I hope you got the mechanic that found the problem to document it for you. You need to take that proof to wherever the oil change was done and demand action. Yes, you should have pulled off and shut down immediately upon the low oil pressure red light illuminating, but the larger issue is the incompetence of the work that caused it. Your Town & Country is probably still under factory warranty, so if it was a Dodge/Chrysler dealership that did this oil change and the service manager does not take action then you need to escalate the matter to the national customer service level. An inspection of the bearings and a free or deeply discounted extended warranty should be offered, at least a gold or silver level one or how ever they grade their good-better-best extended warranty selections.

The new civic has a cup in the bottom of the pan, where the pickup seat on, that could make the engine run with just one quart of oil or even less. Wonder why most of makers dont do the same...

Originally Posted By: CassTyson
If this has been asked and answered, forgive me and link to the answer, please.

But after having an oil change yesterday on my 2014 Town & Country (40k mikes), we hit the road for a 2-1/2 hour drive. Halfway there, going 70 or so on the freeway, the car went into limp mode and the oil light and check engine light went on. We limped to a gas station and checked the oil. The dipstick was dry.

I added 4 qts and that put it just at the safe zone on the dipstick. We then limped to a garage, and the mechanic said it was leaking around the oil filter cap. He replaced the filter and the o-ring under the cap, then topped it off with not quite another quart.

A friend tells me if you drive a car with no oil pressure more than a couple of miles, the crankshaft bearings are most likely shot and we're looking at major engine work.

True? Not true? How to know? Recommendations?

TIA

CassTyson, your van has the new 3.6L Chrysler Pentastar motor. The good news is, it has 6 quarts of oil in it, you only had to add a little over 4 qts., so, you are probably ok, probably.. I have a 2013 Dodge GC. My motor uses no oil between changes. You should keep an eye on it. Any amount of oil use might indicate a problem. Hopefully, 2 qts of oil was enough to save it.

It it were me, I would be all over the oil change place. That is just inexcusable. Good luck, Feel free to pm me if I can be of help.

Now then, 2 pages of posts and only 2 people correctly identified the engine and the problem. 2 PAGES of irrelevant posts by people who have no experience with Chrysler products, recalling personal experiences about some other cars that don't relate to the op's situation. How is the op supposed to find some bit of useful info in all that crud? It would be so nice not to have to read through all that verbal diarrhea. If you can't contribute to the discussion, please don't.

OP at this point all you can do is observe the vehicle. Listen for ticking, [not the fuel injectors], and knocks. Keep an eye on the oil level as well. If you don't hear any unusual sounds coming from the engine, and you aren't using any excessive amounts of oil, your engine is probably fine.

It really sucks when you put your faith in someone to do work for you and they screw it up!

Merry Christmas.

I know for sure on a Geo 1.6l it will run for about 30min with no oil going to the cam. I did a valve job on the engine put the head gasket on 180degrees wrong covered the oil passage to the head. Ran 30 min no oil going to the cam. Melted the bearings and destroyed the cam.Not a happy guy $300 down the drain. Found used part for $135 and put the head gasket on correctly all happy now.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Reason #4 why I do my own oil changes. The shop that did the oil change apparently didn't secure cap on the cartridge oil filter compartment correctly.

I hope you got the mechanic that found the problem to document it for you. You need to take that proof to wherever the oil change was done and demand action. Yes, you should have pulled off and shut down immediately upon the low oil pressure red light illuminating, but the larger issue is the incompetence of the work that caused it. Your Town & Country is probably still under factory warranty, so if it was a Dodge/Chrysler dealership that did this oil change and the service manager does not take action then you need to escalate the matter to the national customer service level. An inspection of the bearings and a free or deeply discounted extended warranty should be offered, at least a gold or silver level one or how ever they grade their good-better-best extended warranty selections.

+1 You can go a little ways under load. Maybe a few hundred feet. The damage is quick once the existing film is tossed off ...

Sure, we've all run old engines to death with no oil and no coolant to see how long they would run. Redline w/o load is one thing. Under driving load is quite another.

Always carry a spare qt of oil in the boot, spare tire well, where ever... Light comes on, check it right there. Add what you have and go slow to a safe place to get it parked and look it over good.

I'll buy lunch if that engine is fine... It'll have damage somewhere
frown.gif

I actually have some experience in this topic as I lost a car due to a failed oil pump. Went to a stop light turned green went about 20 foot car died. Turned it over went about 20 more feet and then died again.

Car wouldn't start got out and seen a 20-40 foot line of oil leading from the stop light to where the car died.

So about 40ft in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back