How long can you run a car with no oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend had a 79 chevy 3/4 ton pickup with a tool box on the back. He changed the oil and filter but somehow forgot the new oil.

He made it 13 miles to the fwy then about another 5 miles before it locked up. So 18 miles before total destruction and probly 17.5 miles of internal parts wearing very quickly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

Now then, 2 pages of posts and only 2 people correctly identified the engine and the problem. 2 PAGES of irrelevant posts by people who have no experience with Chrysler products, recalling personal experiences about some other cars that don't relate to the op's situation. How is the op supposed to find some bit of useful info in all that crud? It would be so nice not to have to read through all that verbal diarrhea. If you can't contribute to the discussion, please don't.

The OP specifically asked:

"A friend tells me if you drive a car with no oil pressure more than a couple of miles, the crankshaft bearings are most likely shot and we're looking at major engine work.

True? Not true? How to know? Recommendations?"

And while he did identify his vehicle he asked this general question about cars with no oil pressure. People tell what they know.

It's the internet. Lighten up Francis.

Originally Posted By: Neely97
Some years back a gent at work drove his F250 with the 351 gas engine to work through small town traffic with zero oil pressure ,oil pump had stopped working . maybe 2 miles one way.
It was an old truck and he did not want to do the repair.
Drove it for months then sold it.
So he had oil in the sump just no pressure.
I was amazed to say the least .

And I have a bridge up NY way I'd like to sell...

I've seen engines run with no oil/pressure, they burn up bearings in 10 miles or less... Once all oil is burned from surface they are toast in just a couple miles... Years ago a friend ran a 289 with no pressure, crank and rods got so hot some the rod bolts melted & pulled out to a point, looked like spikes...

There is a big difference between no flow and aerated flow that does not register enough pressure to turn off the light.

The way I look at it. Time will tell. Would I tear it down if its running fine-No. Just run it and watch it. It probably did little harm. Look at it as a lesson learned. Don't drive it at all with a oil light on- bad idea. My dad never believed in oil samples, he said no one is going to tear down a motor because of a bad sample. Tear it down when it stops or starts knocking. Then your better off with re-man.

Family used to bring both vehicles to a shop to get the oil changed. After having one vehicle keep cutting out i found almost no oil in the engine and the oil filter loose. Checked the filter on the other vehicle and that was loose too. Changed my own oil from their on out. The one vehicle that cut out from no oil still runs fine 30,000 miles later.

Yes sir Quattro Pete your right on here as is typical
smile.gif

My lady called me last yr and said here car had an oil light on. I had just checked it 2 days before, no problems. Well, my thought was it is all right I believed. But I got up and left after she called me 5 min later saying it was making all kinds of noise while running down the road. When I got out and looked at the parking spot and saw a puddle of oil with a trail leaving. I followed this trail for about a half of a mile then it stopped. Obviously at this point hardly any oil left to leak out anymore. All 4.5 qts pretty much gone. Car made it 5 miles with hardly any oil. I got to it and it turned over and ran but extremely poorly. I knew it was toast. What had happened the oil cooler blew up and all the oil leaked out in the first half mile. The car had 182k miles so it was not new by any stretch. But it obviously shouldn't have been run any further after light came on. I wasn't upset with my lady about what happened. I should have told her to turn off the car immediately and park it. That was my fault here. Granted I was asleep when she called so that didn't help at all. More my fault than hers by any stretch of the imagination.

Good news did come out of this though.. We got her grandmother's Camry which had only 67k miles with timing belt changed at 63k, brand new drive belts, perfect interior, perfect outside. This 98 Camry is like having a new car. Her grandmother had stopped driving a yr earlier so it was good timing in that.

So, lesson learned with no serious cost involved. Very fortunate for us indeed. No more driving with oil light on again has it does serve an OBVIOUS purpose to keep from having serious damage to the motor or permanent damage done.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
IIRC there was a member or two over the years here that made similar claims. Not good!

Yeah!! I remember that now! I wonder who it was? Only thing I remember is that he swore by that technique and would challenge anyone who negatively critiqued it.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Now then, 2 pages of posts and only 2 people correctly identified the engine and the problem. 2 PAGES of irrelevant posts by people who have no experience with Chrysler products, recalling personal experiences about some other cars that don't relate to the op's situation. How is the op supposed to find some bit of useful info in all that crud? It would be so nice not to have to read through all that verbal diarrhea. If you can't contribute to the discussion, please don't.

The OP specifically asked:

"A friend tells me if you drive a car with no oil pressure more than a couple of miles, the crankshaft bearings are most likely shot and we're looking at major engine work.

True? Not true? How to know? Recommendations?"

And while he did identify his vehicle he asked this general question about cars with no oil pressure. People tell what they know.

It's the internet. Lighten up Francis.

Another worthless post that doesn't address the op's issue by a no-nothing production tech. We are now at 3 pages of worthless posts.

There are some posts here that say an engine can run for many miles with no oil pressure. There are also posts here that say it will seize up in a matter of seconds.
Both of those posts can be correct. I you have a new engine with tight clearances, it can seize up in a matter of seconds. If you have an old, sloppy engine with very loose tolerances, it can run for miles.
Of course, engine design can vary and it's a general statement.
There are also YouTube videos that show how and why a person can get the wrong oil filter in the newer Chrysler/Jeep engines.

Another worthless post that doesn't address the op's issue by a no-nothing production tech. We are now at 3 pages of worthless posts.

You can simply not read the posts then.

Last edited:
If the engine is not making any knocking noises, it's probably fine for now. You may have significantly reduced the life of the motor by driving it a few miles with the low oil pressure light on. As soon as you see that light, you shut the engine down and look under the hood as to what is going on. If there are no apparent external leaks, either walk to get oil or call a tow truck who may have a jug in the back for top up. If there's oil [censored] everywhere, well get it towed to the nearest garage. Hopefully you got lucky and the damage is minimal (instead 200K mile life, your engine may only last 150k miles). If it's knocking, expect a hefty bill to fix it.

Last edited:
..by a no-nothing production tech. We are now at 3 pages of worthless posts.

Is 'no-nothing' a know-nothing southern thing or a typo?
smile.gif

I overheated my engine and drove on it for several miles until I reached home with smoke BILLOWING out and becoming obtrusive to even see out of the windshield and I can tell you that it was a testament to the motor in conjunction with the 5w-30 MOTORCRAFT oil that I was able to make unscathed!!!!

That was right before the OCI I am on currently and on its hiatus mind you at 9000 MILES!! BLARGHH!!! Now that I have your attention, this PYB has me reversing my thinking on the stranglehold synthetic blend or full synthetic had. I would actually consider going to PYB instead of even a high mileage type oil and at 147,800 miles, why not, this engine and car is at 20 years old on the ticker and going strong.

My 2jZGE people from both LExus SCs and their close sibling the LS 400 will tell you.

Last edited:
2 PAGES of irrelevant posts by people who have no experience with Chrysler products, recalling personal experiences about some other cars that don't relate to the op's situation. How is the op supposed to find some bit of useful info in all that crud? It would be so nice not to have to read through all that verbal diarrhea. If you can't contribute to the discussion, please don't.

are you new to internet?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
2 PAGES of irrelevant posts by people who have no experience with Chrysler products, recalling personal experiences about some other cars that don't relate to the op's situation. How is the op supposed to find some bit of useful info in all that crud? It would be so nice not to have to read through all that verbal diarrhea. If you can't contribute to the discussion, please don't.

are you new to internet?

Nothing more unreasonable than trying to control an open discussion. It's just not going to happen...

Any strange noises? if its driving normal it "should" be fine as some oil "sticks" to the metal parts, how long did you drive it to the gas station?

I don't know about how long can you run with no oil but one of the great things about adding or having to top off oil is discovering hidden jems in oil or viscosity you may not or have not considered for a full OCI run. I realized from using 5w-30 but having to top off with 10-30 PYB that I was using the wrong weight oil all these years and it was due to listening to the manuf of the car who said use 5w-30 or 30. The rule of thumb is if it never gets cold like near freezing than you should be using 10w period. After topping off with 10-30 PYB< my gas mileage went through the roof and my car clearly likes 10w over 5w and it should cause that is the right weight for the severe use cycle!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back