How long can you run a car with no oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
2 PAGES of irrelevant posts by people who have no experience with Chrysler products, recalling personal experiences about some other cars that don't relate to the op's situation. How is the op supposed to find some bit of useful info in all that crud? It would be so nice not to have to read through all that verbal diarrhea. If you can't contribute to the discussion, please don't.

are you new to internet?
No, just annoyed.

The op has a real concern, No one, NO ONE, except me, addressed the issue with his concern with that particular engine. The Pentastar engine is state of the art and generalized anecdotes about other engines in other circumstances may just confuse him. At the very least I do know what I'm talking about in this particular post.

Bitog has developed a cadre of posters who use bad manners and spend their time scattering irrelevant posts all over the repair type threads. A few years ago, this sort of thing got out of hand and many of us left. Some have never come back.

Anyone here who wants to complain about me to the owners, feel free. I'm done here, I will contact the op via PM.

On a modern vehicle like that if you lose oil pressure the dash should light up with all sorts of warnings and trip a limp home mode which it did.

The engine in question holds about 6 quarts of oil, so 1.5 were still in it.

Its not optimal but I doubt anything was damaged. Next time check after the oil is changed to see if anything is leaking. Pentastars use a cap that holds the cartridge filter which needs to be properly tightened and not over tightened. I'd check the cap it might be cracked.

Last edited:
Would it be possible for the OP to have his van hooked up to a diagnostic machine and have some parameters checked, oil pressures etc, to see if there's any indication of damage?

Not sure how one can trust a car after this happens.

Sorry Oldcrabbymoparguy, another useless post.

no not really.

But I'll add another useless post.

If the engine has a turbo, it's a matter of seconds (1 or 2) before the turbo is damaged. It might not die right there, but it'sdamaged and the end will come soon.

Until it seizes. Running it at all without oil damages it. There's no way to know how much unless you take it apart, examine, and measure.

I know it won't run long if you fill it with leaded gas. In a few seconds it will start to stall. Happened while I was on a island in the Caribbean. Luckily I was at the top of a long winding hill and at the bottom was the airport and car rental place. They asked if anyone explained to me about filling it up at the gas station. They asked where the car was and I said right out front. They gave me a super old Hyundai Accent with 98k miles on it. The mechanic was looking at the broken down while I was pulling away.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Now then, 2 pages of posts and only 2 people correctly identified the engine and the problem. 2 PAGES of irrelevant posts by people who have no experience with Chrysler products, recalling personal experiences about some other cars that don't relate to the op's situation. How is the op supposed to find some bit of useful info in all that crud? It would be so nice not to have to read through all that verbal diarrhea. If you can't contribute to the discussion, please don't.

The OP specifically asked:

"A friend tells me if you drive a car with no oil pressure more than a couple of miles, the crankshaft bearings are most likely shot and we're looking at major engine work.

True? Not true? How to know? Recommendations?"

And while he did identify his vehicle he asked this general question about cars with no oil pressure. People tell what they know.

It's the internet. Lighten up Francis.

Another worthless post that doesn't address the op's issue by a no-nothing production tech. We are now at 3 pages of worthless posts.

Please, continue to add to the worthless post count

This is a conversation on a forum. Get the heck over yourself.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
sure it wasn't diesel?

never had leaded gas instantly stall a vehicle. kills lambda probes though..

Agreed. Leaded gas will screw up O2 sensors, kill cats and might foul the plugs, but it won't make a vehicle not run, and certainly won't show as an issue right away.

Back in the dy the BMW M30 engines had a problem with the relief valve in the oil pump sticking and blowing the oil filter seal out at the canister. My then wife was driving an 83 533 and I had just that weekend done an oil filter and oil change using Kendall 20w50...

I get a call from said wife from work that goes like this " honey, the oil light is on in the car" Me " which oil light, the oil level light or the oil pressure light ?"
her " don't know"
me " ok I'll be there in a bit"
I gather more oil, floor jack and oil filter in the CJ7 and as I back out of the driveway, notice a stream of oil leading up the hill out of the driveway, with a sinking feeling I make the 20 mile drive to her work....
I get there and sure enough, oil seal kicked out. I changed the filter and add oil and start it up, no noise....
I had just purchased the car and had purchased it off lease with 73k miles on it, and had luckily purchased an extended warranty. Took it to the dealer ,who claimed they checked it out (and replaced the pump) Said all appeared to be ok...
They must have been right as we owned the car for another 136k miles for a total of 209k....yes, I am a huge believer in Kendall green oil
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back