advice 02 civic motomaster 5w30 9222km 264482km

Status
Not open for further replies.
The TAN is too high. I wouldn't extend too much on this oil. I'd try some brand name oils to see if they hold better. Personally I never trust house brands. They are cheap. They may look OK on the paper and they may be produced by Shell or Mobil but you get what you pay.

Their house brand is made by Shell, and meets the same specs as just about everything else on the shelf. There's nothing wrong with that TAN, and by just about every measure, be it TAN/TBN crossover, percentage of original TBN, or TBN < 1.0, this oil did absolutely fine. 10,000 km out of a conventional in this application is a breeze. I was doing that 30 years ago with oils that weren't nearly as good as they are today.

I am not saying that you cannot use this oil but 10000 for an OCI sounds funny even for the cheapest oil. And if you know, that the oil doesn't last, and still use it than I don't see any logic behind. The oil is shot when the TAN goes up 2 points from the VOA level which is usually around 1.5-2.5. The TBN is mostly irrelevant for a gas engine oil.

Well, TBN is relevant, and as I mentioned, under none of the various labs' schools of thought would this oil be condemned. We don't even know the starting TAN of this product. I do, however, know that the TAN and TBN didn't cross, the TBN is still more than 33% of new (in fact, probably half of new), and TBN isn't less than 1, which covers most labs' condemnation rules.

10,000 km is not a stretch, and plenty of vehicles have been specifying such an interval for years, even with basic ILSAC conventionals. As I stated, I did that with the taxis years ago, with much older oil, and the engines lasted for hundreds of thousands of kilometers.

Considering that this Honda has gone almost 300,000 kilometers, what should he really be worrying about? It hasn't sludged or spun a bearing, and if it does sometime down in the distant future, it's already provided many kilometers of service.

Should he be buying Amsoil Signature Series and change it every 5,000 km?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
With wear numbers like these at 9,000 km, you could go 15,000 km without issue at all.

Lots of new Honda's specify syn-blend 5W-20 or 0W-20 and 16,000km intervals.

But yes, if you want to go a full year and 30,000 km, you are better off with a synthetic.

And I don't think you have seen 'a lot' of 7th gen Civics with spun bearings in normal use...it just isn't happening. If the engines are severely abused, sure, but in normal use, no.

yup, not worried about the wear numbers at all, just shear and tbn. once you see wear you went way too far.
even this honda specifys 16k oci on dino under perfect driving conditions (normal).
Lol, i just thought if i gave you 3 examples from a 100 yard radius that would satisfy you. the wreckers have lots, read online forums, talk to people who had 7th gen civics. after auto transmissions failing and head gaskets going after a coolant service thrown bearings are about 3rd most common problem that people junk the car for i would say.

Originally Posted By: Ded Mazai
I am not saying that you cannot use this oil but 10000 for an OCI sounds funny even for the cheapest oil. And if you know, that the oil doesn't last, and still use it than I don't see any logic behind. The oil is shot when the TAN goes up 2 points from the VOA level which is usually around 1.5-2.5. The TBN is mostly irrelevant for a gas engine oil.

ok, does it sound funny as in not very long or too long for cheap oil? i dont know how long this oil lasts so i am trying to find out. ok, so lets say its 2.5 to start, +2 points would be 4.5 and it was 4.8 and 5.0 which is pretty close. TBN was decently high still. why is tbn irrelevant? thats the first time i have heard that. the oil is like $11/oil change so i dont really feel like doing a $55 VOA to find out what its originally like unfortunatly...

Originally Posted By: Garak

Considering that this Honda has gone almost 300,000 kilometers, what should he really be worrying about? It hasn't sludged or spun a bearing, and if it does sometime down in the distant future, it's already provided many kilometers of service.

i am really hoping to avoid that
laugh.gif
i bought this car with over 200k and had to put more money into it than i wanted to. i think if you take care of a gasoline engine it should have no problem doing over 500,000km. the problem is defining 'taking care of'. under or over maintaining doesnt help anything.

It's doing fine. You know the engine is going to outlast everything else. 500,000 km out of an engine is not unrealistic. Some cars as a package aren't quite up to the task, but engines are another matter, usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back