How to quiet down 05 Pathfinder 4.0 V6 chain noise

My friend has a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with the 4.0 V6 engine that is known for commonly having timing chain rattle.

Everything was fine with the vehicle until he forgot to change his engine oil for 10k miles. When he checked his oil level, the dipstick was bone dry and the engine developed tiling chain rattle. He changed the engine oil but it did absolutely nothing.

He wants to drive this car until the engine seizes and wants to quiet down the noise.

Would a thicker oil such as a 50 weight help? How about adding Lucas to that oil? Perhaps a straight SAE 50? I haven’t seen a 50 weight sold in locals tires but have seen 10w-40.

Any tips or ideas to keep this damaged engine on the road with less noise?

Thanks

Last edited:
Can u post a audio file?

I like thicker grades more than most but masking this noise is not at all helpful

As a long time VQ40 guy it may be in his best interest to have the front cover removed and the timing chains and timing chain tensioners inspected by someone who knows what they are doing.
These are great engines but in some model years the timing chain tensioners and timing chain guides were a weak spot.
He has the most at-risk model year for that.
Some of the 05s never have an issue with it, but a low lube/no lube condition can accelerate wear of those items.
The VQ40de is an interference engine (I own one with 164,000 uses no oil) runs smooth)
so anything that indicates possible issues with timing need to be addressed ASAP.
Before he spends money on a timing chain replacement a compression check may be a good idea too, in case the engine is done due to a no lube condition.

Luckily these are not expensive to find for a use engine install.
I know this is money he will not want to spend but consider the huge sum a body on frame 4x4 SUV with a big V6 commands even well used to replace what he has..

Can u post a audio file?

As a long time VQ40 guy it may be in his best interest to have the front cover removed and the timing chains and timing chain tensioners inspected by someone who knows what they are doing.
These are great engines but in some model years the timing chain tensioners and timing chain guides were a weak spot.
He has the most at-risk model year for that.
Some of the 05s never have an issue with it, but a low lube/no lube condition can accelerate wear of those items.
The VQ40de is an interference engine (I own one with 164,000 uses no oil) runs smooth)
so anything that indicates possible issues with timing need to be addressed ASAP.
Before he spends money on a timing chain replacement a compression check may be a good idea too, in case the engine is done due to a no lube condition.

Luckily these are not expensive to find for a use engine install.
I know this is money he will not want to spend but consider the huge sum a body on frame 4x4 SUV with a big V6 commands even well used to replace what he has..
Everywhere he has looked , he was told about $3k or more for a replacement.

Can you point us in the right direction?

I see advance auto sells Fram 20w-50. Perhaps give that a try as well.

Everywhere he has looked , he was told about $3k or more for a replacement.

Can you point us in the right direction?

I see advance auto sells Fram 20w-50. Perhaps give that a try as well.

remember Frontier and Xterra VQ40s fit as well.
Even the late model ones re interactable if u reuse the accessories.

some examples:

This one has only 60k on it:

I also advise him to talk to the Pathfinder experts here, in the R51 subforum (his generation) of thenissanpath.com
(Full disclosure: I am Admin on there, but I am not one of the techs)

My friend has a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with the 4.0 V6 engine that is known for commonly having timing chain rattle.

He changed the engine oil but it did absolutely nothing.

He ....wants to quiet down the noise.
So what oil is in there now?

In Australia, for the 05 Pathfinder 4.0 V6, we run 5W30 or 10W30 or 10W40

so it has a chain rattle, but does it run fairly well? I have a little chain rattle in my Mustang and it has been there over a year. I am going to fix it eventually but some chain rattle does not spell immediate impending doom.

I always find these stories interesting because my experience as a teenage "gas pump jockey" in the 60s still has me pulling the dipstick on my cars every week and doing a quick look underneath for any fluid leaks. But for some people it takes an expensive repair or replacement to bring the message home.

Palmerwmd hit the nail on the head. Check those chain tensioners and guides. Had a 2007 Nissan Frontier with that engine and the chain guides broke. They were replaced under warranty. Leave it go and you will have SERIOUS problems.

1648561495760.jpg

Back