How to quiet down 05 Pathfinder 4.0 V6 chain noise

I have no clue what oil is on there now or what was used. He told me that he went to jiffy lube to get the oil change and they refused to change it because of the noise. Something I fully understand due to liability.

I don’t think he was going for an extended drain but rather carelessness on his part.

Looking to start with the least expensive method first to see if it quiets down before diffing into it mechanically.

I would think if the chain noise was a direct result of low oil pressure, (the chain itself and sprockets not getting enough oil due to low oil volume), there would be other, more serious casualties inside that thing as well.

Like scored cylinder walls and bearings. Not to mention damaged cam shaft lobes and scored main bearings. There is a lot more inside that thing that requires good clean lubricant under pressure than just a timing chain.

Would a thicker oil such as a 50 weight help? How about adding Lucas to that oil? Perhaps a straight SAE 50? I haven’t seen a 50 weight sold in locals tires but have seen 10w-40.
You can get 60 and 70 weight at motorcycle shops, but good luck getting that thing to start below 60°F. Been there done that.

I have no clue what oil is on there now or what was used. He told me that he went to jiffy lube to get the oil change and they refused to change it because of the noise. Something I fully understand due to liability.

I don’t think he was going for an extended drain but rather carelessness on his part.

Looking to start with the least expensive method first to see if it quiets down before diffing into it mechanically.
If it’s so loud that they’re refusing to change the oil then it’s toast and will need repair

Interesting that it’s not having timing issues and setting off check engine lights. Perhaps it stretched from lack of lubrication?

depending on the vehicles overall condition + what the owner wants + can afford a proper fix may be worth it IMO. i have a 2011 fronty with under 50 thou, runs great + i keep an "eye" on it as i enjoy mechanical things. interference fit engines can ruin the engine or not if things go wrong!!

Back