How to keep cats off your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Julian

Originally Posted By: Oilgal
So a heat pad on the lowest setting under a folder beach towel, set nearby at a similar height, may give you a paw print free car and an additional nice feeling inside.
I'm really honestly surprised only one other person thinks the catnip is a viable route.
frown.gif
I think your idea might have some merit though too. Why not put the heating pad under a stuffed cat instead? Instant cat mother! I know it would go for that. No, wait... a cat mother stuffed with catnip! Meow! It can't fail.
cheers3.gif

Now that is odd. Electric Cat Mother was my nickname back in my old hippie daze. just kidding
10.gif

For awhile I sprayed my front porch with a mix of rubbing alcohol and the cheapest, hottest Asian pepper oil that I could find. I started doing that after finding some pepper oil on clearance at one store. It seemed to work, although the storm door had already started to corrode by then. You could try spraying the car hood with just pepper oil, which will make for a miserable kitty as it tries to clean itself with the oil on it's feet. After that spray the yard boundries with pepper spray or some pepper oil, where the obvious smell should be a deterrent.

So... anyway...

Hope you find the perfect home Jimmy, wherever that is. One thing I know works well around here to keep squirrels out of gardens and such is blood meal. The smell of blood apparently makes them think they are in danger themselves. Blood meal can also be used as a fertilizer; the composition is generally something like 13-1-1. I'm not sure if it would scare the cats away or not; those critters would probably end up liking it and turn into spraying machines with your luck! Maybe if it were cat blood?
grin2.gif
56.gif
I still think my catnip idea is a good one, at any rate. Probably shouldn't give drugs to the kids though, maybe lemonade or a smile or something if you're feeling generous. Just my opinion, of course.
grin2.gif
If anything I said made you feel constricted, then I sincerely apologize. I'm sure that's not what you were after. I'm so sorry about your wife.

... Oh, and by the way, I would hate to see anyone worry too-too much about being the one to spark up a battle between the Hatfields and McCoys; in my experience at least, they tend to fight anyway. I do concur with your plan to be careful around the hothead neighbor though; you seem to have a useful intuition about those sorts of things. Have a good one and stay strong, thanks for taking the time to wade through one of my convoluted rants. I hope those plants do the trick.
cheers3.gif

Quote:
Those owners have probably put more effort into keeping the out of the way

They put no effort into keeping it "out of the way" if it's running around the neighborhood and walking all over someone's car every day. Technically, in most cities, cats must follow the leash laws just like dogs, and it's illegal to allow a cat to run around outside.

Hey, at least I didn't say I'd shoot it!

First of all killing a cat because it walked on your car or truck is stupid. It has no idea that its a car or that its claws scratch paint. You have no choices other than to garage it. Killing somones pet can bring you unwanted trouble, not to mention animal cruelty laws are a lot stricter than they used to be.

Keeping people from posting in this thread is more difficult than keeping a cat from hopping on a vehicle.

Thank you, Julian.

I won't be able to post any results for a while. The lady at Home Depot garden center today told me the Coleus Canina plants will not be available until sometime in May. Until then, I'll throw an old sheet over the cab of the truck or something like that.

At any rate, this has certainly been an interesting thread..

Jimmy

Originally Posted By: LexusAussie
Originally Posted By: STG
Eight freakin' pages about keeping cats off your cars?

Wyoming-Travel-Kit.jpg

P.S.: I'm going to print the post above this one and use it as a target to sight-in my Browning Safari 270 Winchester.

Sadly this stands as proof of the many reasons that America has a lot of social issues. Guns are not a solution to problems
could be.

Trying to think of a creative solution but the only thing I can think of is boring. Could you install a motion detector spot light? They have them at home depot etc. for pretty reasonable. If everytime the cat comes around that thing lights up he may not come around especially if the car is parked right underneath it.

Of course to enhance the experience for kitty you could put one of those 70's disco balls so it shines into it. For the complete package add bee-gees music to automatically kick on with the light. o.k. maybe just the light...

Thanks for sharing, Jimmy

I am always amazed at how compassionate some people on this board are when someone expresses distress with life.

I think most of the intelligent posters here already read between the lines early on and realized that the heart of this situation is a neighbor problem and the cats are just a symptom.

You are asking for ways to manage the symptoms, knowing that the disease is incurable.

Maybe the professionals have some ideas....Humane Society, etc..

Best of luck to you.

And, now, on a lighter note, my infamous question to animal rights advocates: When you get critter "pests" (open to definition) inside your home, do you allow them to remain there? Do you live trap them and release? Do you use poison bait or killer traps? No answers required....just pondering.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I think most of the intelligent posters here already read between the lines early on and realized that the heart of this situation is a neighbor problem and the cats are just a symptom.

You are asking for ways to manage the symptoms, knowing that the disease is incurable.
Some people like to think out loud, which over time I've noticed has ups and downs, especially when their thought process is a little scrambled (like mine). At any rate, it does make "reading between the lines" a bit easier I think. I agree that there seems to be an unusually high concentration of compassionate people on this board.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
And, now, on a lighter note, my infamous question to animal rights advocates: When you get critter "pests" (open to definition) inside your home, do you allow them to remain there? Do you live trap them and release? Do you use poison bait or killer traps? No answers required....just pondering.
I won't usually crush the occasional Arcadian trespasser right away as a matter of habit, but I like to have myself think of them as "guests" rather than "pets", also as a matter of habit. A fly that finds its way inside is probably not going to automatically become my worst enemy, but there is still a time, I think, when it needs to scoot along. The ladybugs which periodically inhabit my cabin in the woods do a trick where they "cryonize" and then "reanimate" when the pot-bellied stove is lit. Most people including myself find it quite entertaining, and seeing as how they can't really harm anything when there isn't anyone around and don't really harm anything when there is, I figure they're not so bad. Now if a roach encroached or even approached my coach, he would procure reproach and get poached. Yours truly got stung by a bumblebee while going through an intersection once; it was an interesting experience.
crazy2.gif

Isn't all this just great? You can feel the love. My little heart has been warmed, if only for a moment. Hey Jimmy, come over here... I've got cookies. You guys can have one too.
55.gif

P.S. Just kidding. I eat babies.

P.P.S. The dried fruit is actually a dried baby that had a promising life.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Keeping people from posting in this thread is more difficult than keeping a cat from hopping on a vehicle.
I love drama!
21.gif
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Julian
Originally Posted By: myself
You guys can have one too.
And gals. And gals. Sorry.
55.gif

Well, ok, any guy who eats babies can't be all bad.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back