How to keep cats off your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

So does anyone here know of anything I can put aroound my carport to keep the cats off my truck?
Catnip.
grin2.gif
56.gif

Originally Posted By: wantin150

1. Live traps are VERY humane, hence the "live" part. Nothing more than a cage with a way in but not a way out.

2. Some counties/cities consider cats the same way they do dogs when it comes to leash laws. Regardless of whose cat you catch, the owner was still in violation if it came on YOUR property and was caught. The point of a live trap is that you can release the animal unharmed if it is the wrong one.

3. Cats on cars cause damage. Animals which cause damage are nuisance animals. Nuisance animals can be caught and turned over to the pound, as can "animals at large".

Agree basically but:

1. NOT all live traps are humane. I've seen some horrors which caused physical injury to the animal. Generalisations like this can give the wrong impression
2. This is Jimmy's problem - he doesn't wish to confront the neighbours. I see the problem is the owner, not the animal. It's just doing what cats do;
3. This is a long bow to draw. You would need evidence that the animal has damaged your property (catching one in a cage doesn't prove it has damaged anything). Personally, I would have someone's @ss in Court unless they had incontravertable evidence that my cat damaged their property (muddy pawprints don't count unless they scratch the paint and you can prove it)

All I am saying is that you need to be VERY careful in doing anything that could injure or otherwise harm any animal. It can come back and seriously bite you (no pun intended).

The right thing to do is to confront the neighbours and then if they don't get their act together, try the legal route.

A workmate had a problem cat spraying his front door, defecating in his child's sandpit etc.

Rang the local ranger, who provided a live cat trap.

Ranger was very specific about useage, and what was legal.

The trap was on my mate's property, and the cat was caught while on his property. Handed to the ranger (pound).

Owners rang ranger, with details of a lost cat. Cat was handed back, with advice to control it.

Cat was caught again, and handed to the ranger.

Owners rang ranger, with details of a lost cat. Cat was handed back, with advice to control it.

I don't know the final outcome, whether the owners finally figured to control their cat, or they gave up ringing the ranger.

Will ask tomorrow.

Call me insensitive, but it's not his job to provide a nice warm bed for a animal he didn't purchase, he doesn't know, doesn't love, and obviously, by this thread, doesn't wany. Providing a nice warm bed for the cat will only cause the cat to come around more often. A nice warm bed sounds like an invitation to stay at my house. I don't want you here != please sleep in this nice warm bed I am providing for you. My grandmother has had more cats than I can count, and food or shelter is the best way to keep them coming back. Talk to the owner, or instill in the cat that the car is not the place it wants to be.

How about some catnip or something in the owner's yard?

I gotta pinch myself, am I dreaming, or did we win the cold war ? Evidently not, as the Communist Community Cat Party thinks that their pets have a right to take a dump in other people's yard, walk on other people's cars, kill birds at other people's feeders, barf on other people's sidewalks, and spray other people's doors.

Some pepper spray will work, so will a paintball gun. Tell the owners that if you have to resort to legal, live traps it's basically a death sentance as no one wants stray cats from the pound.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9703/14/aussie.cats/

Evans told CNN that domestic cats are as big a problem as feral cats.

"A domestic cat could be considered feral once it steps out of the back door. Domestic cats are only one good meal away from being feral," he said. But he was vague on how total eradication would be achieved.

"Shooting might be a solution, trapping, baiting. There's a whole range of different things," he said.

Shooting has been tried before. In the early 1990s, Australian soldiers were called in to get rid of troublesome feral cats in the Outback.

Wow, I have really opened a topic here. I do not want to confront the neighbors about their animals. I have reason to believe that if I did I would have a lot worse problems with my truck besides muddy cat paw prints. In other words, I would worry they would retaliate by vandalism either to my truck, my house or both. The same could very likely happen if I trapped their cats or otherwise tried to impress upon the cats to stay off my truck. As far as the neighbors go, I will not involve them in this.

I just want the cats off my truck and off my porch. They have a bad habit of getting on my truck, have sprayed on the porch, plants and carport, knocked over potted plants and made noise at night and it bothers me. I even saw one on the roof of the house the other day. The cats don't pay rent so they have no right to be at my house or on my truck. I plan to try to get some of the cat repelling plants this weekend and see if that helps. I'll post the reults here too. But as far as the neighbors go, I will not bring this up to them. It wouldn't do any good anyway.

Well I know of one humane way!! This is a proven solution:
1. The cats jump up on the hood area because of the warmth
2. Cats always jump over the top side of a fence like construciton.
Solution:
1. Put hooks in the roof of your car port in the u-shape of your hood.
2. Cut 3 pcs of round broom handles or similar. Put a nail in each end.
3. Hang those sticks 5" higher than the hood from the roof in string. Use a washer or something to attach it to the nails. Make sure the sticks can rotate very easily.

The thing is that the cats will jump and always want to step on the sticks on the way to the hood. The sticks will then rotate and the cat will not make it. They will give up!

Here's something that might be worth a try:

Buy 2 of those automatic room freshening sprayers that you normally sit around the house.

Put a towel on the hood and the roof and sit the sprayers on them, set to spray at the fastest intervals. Animals' sense of smell is sensitive and most don't like the smell of room deodorizers...at least at that close proximity. This might deter them.

I think we should come up with an award for the most creative cat deterrent device!

Last edited:
Wow, I have really opened a topic here. I do not want to confront the neighbors about their animals. I have reason to believe that if I did I would have a lot worse problems with my truck besides muddy cat paw prints. In other words, I would worry they would retaliate by vandalism either to my truck, my house or both. The same could very likely happen if I trapped their cats or otherwise tried to impress upon the cats to stay off my truck. As far as the neighbors go, I will not involve them in this.

I just want the cats off my truck and off my porch. They have a bad habit of getting on my truck, have sprayed on the porch, plants and carport, knocked over potted plants and made noise at night and it bothers me. I even saw one on the roof of the house the other day. The cats don't pay rent so they have no right to be at my house or on my truck. I plan to try to get some of the cat repelling plants this weekend and see if that helps. I'll post the reults here too. But as far as the neighbors go, I will not bring this up to them. It wouldn't do any good anyway.

Sounds like the "attack squirrels" may have already got him and chewed 'em plumb off!!
grin2.gif

Bob

Play nice with them..........offer them some cheese or food. Then, grab the little [censored] and head for the pound. problem solved! Did it a few weeks ago with this stupid big orange cat that roams my neighborhood and [censored] everyone off. And yes, I have a cat and love them to death, but if someone lest their cat roam free, that peeves me and shows the owners don't care. If they care enough, they can try and pick the bugger up at the pound. If not, hopefully someone else will.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Play nice with them..........offer them some cheese or food. Then, grab the little [censored] and head for the pound. problem solved! Did it a few weeks ago with this stupid big orange cat that roams my neighborhood and [censored] everyone off. And yes, I have a cat and love them to death, but if someone lest their cat roam free, that peeves me and shows the owners don't care. If they care enough, they can try and pick the bugger up at the pound. If not, hopefully someone else will.

So once again, you penalise the animal (and provide it with a death sentence) rather than confronting the owners who are causing the problem by their irresponsible behaviour. This is typical of society today. Take the easy way out.

I have 3 cats and they do not leave the house at any time. This is more for their protection from humanity than anything else.

Anyone attempting to harm my animals for any reason would soon find themselves on the receiving end of a serious lawsuit and prosecuted for any offence I can have pinned on them.

This is not very creative people! We need more solutions like automatic room freshener deployment, attack squirrels, and rotating launch pads...

I would never intentionally harm any animal. Nor would I cart one off to the pound and certain death. Trying out natural cat deterrents such as the coleus canina plant seems to be the most logical solution, especially given the fact that I do not wish to invite trouble from the neighbors or their kids. I think most of us at one time or another have had less than pleasant experiences with neighbors but that's a subject for an entirely different forum. If the plants work, that's good but if not I see on their Website that Autozone has car covers on sale this month. BTW, they also have a good many deals on oil and filters this month too.

Autozone has car covers on sale this month

Unless you keep your car spotless, a car cover might scratch the finish worse than a cat might. A cat doesn't use its claws when walking on a smooth surface.

My neighbor's cat sits fairly often on my car, which is also parked in a car port. If my car isn't clean, I can see little paw prints on the rear window. I also find forensic evidence, mostly some [censored] hair, on the roof. I have yet to discover any scratches. If I were worried about the cat, I'd simply let Captain Kirk take care of the squatter. Captain Kirk eats other cats.

It seems to me that the OP is afraid of his neighbors. Are you the only 2 houses where you live? How do you know that if something happened to the cat it would be blamed on you?

Last edited:
I am not afraid of the neighbors. Just smart enough to leave them alone. I do not want to mess with them. I'll solve this problem by finding what keeps the cats away from my house. I'm also smart enough to know not to harm anybody else's pets. Besides that, as I said earlier I will not intentionally harm any animal.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
Shooting has been tried before. In the early 1990s, Australian soldiers were called in to get rid of troublesome feral cats in the Outback.

They found the best way was to trap the tom, neuter him, and reintroduce him to the "pack" (is there a proper word for a tribe of cats ?).

The tom still stood at the head of the pack and serviced the females as he usually would...without offspring.

If they shot the tom, the strongest male became the new tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back