How to keep cats off your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats can make great house pets, some don't though as they spray everywhere, claw things up and climb on everything after a visit to a dirty litter box. If they don't make great house pets then people let them roam, so that their cats spray, claw and poop and on everyone else's property.

If I let my dog roam it would probably kill every cat in the neighborhood, poop on eveyrone's lawns, and chew up interesting things, but I don't as I have some consideration for other people's property; my dog does not have a right to other people's property, a concept lost on cat owners who let their cats roam.

3rdtruck, I don't disagree with your opinion there, but I do not like the perverse joy that some here find in devising ever new ways of offing cats. I bet, if I were to say that I will stomp on puppies that accidentally [censored] in my driveway, then I'd have a riot on my hand. Of course I'd never suggest such a thing, because I don't believe in doing such a thing, which only an ahole would even suggest.

I chase dogs off of my property, and have pepper sprayed ones who have growled at me when doing so. Dogs seem to learn more quickly than cats about where they're welcome and where they're not.

Maybe you all need to move out of those ghettos or away from the boonies where all those feral critters congregate in an effort to ruin your lives. I live at the outskirts of the city and 90% of the critter that roam the backyards are skunks and raccoons. I'll accept a cat over a skunk any day. Luckily, my Captain Kirk (18 pound Maine Coon/wolverine hybrid
wink.gif
) goes after skunks, coons and little kids. He eats cats and dogs.

We have squirrels, racoons, skunk, possum, bats, coyotes, deer and have even had cougar in the neighborhood. None of them regurlarly walk on the cars, barf on the sidewalks, spray the front door, kill birds at the feeder, poop in the yard, etc., like the cats do. A possum pooped on the deck once, and a coyote left possum pieces in a six foot circle once.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
We have squirrels, racoons, skunk, possum, bats, coyotes, deer and have even had cougar in the neighborhood. None of them regurlarly walk on the cars, barf on the sidewalks, spray the front door, kill birds at the feeder, poop in the yard, etc., like the cats do. A possum pooped on the deck once, and a coyote left possum pieces in a six foot circle once.

*waiting for the cougar to take a dump on 1stsuck's porch*

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
None of them regurlarly walk on the cars, barf on the sidewalks, spray the front door, kill birds at the feeder, poop in the yard, etc., like the cats do.

Blame the irresponsible @ssholes who either let them out at night, haven't had the male cats desexed (they are the ones that spray) or dumped the litter of kittens that they couldn't be bothered to take to an animal refuge.

Animal problems are invariably caused by people who have chlorine in their gene pool.

Being a new guy to the forums, thought I'd reply to this one.
I didn't read each page so this may have been suggested...BLACK PEPPER. After the car is parked for the night...sprinkle some around each tire and below the front and rear bumpers....Cats like to sniff everything....they won't hang around after getting a snoot full of pepper....also works around yard plants and bushes.
Thumpr

Do like I did...I hooked up a small strobe light to a motion detector. Whenever the cat thinks about jumping onto the truck the motion detect turns the strobe light on for a couple of minutes and scares the heck out of the cat. At least it works for me :)

Originally Posted By: LexusAussie
How about a car cover or a large tarp to cover your truck?

I had the same problem, car cover kept off all the foot prints.I ended up going with a waterproof breathable cover from Empire Car Covers. A little more expensive $109 but it sounds pretty bomber.

http://empirecovers-review.blogspot.com/

I had a problem with my idiot neighbors letting their PITA ankle biter run free in the neighborhood. Pooping in everybody's yard. My own dog poops only in my backyard, yet, I have to clean up more poop to mow the front yard than the back.
smirk2.gif

I called the police, animal control, homeowners association, nobody helped. So I trapped the little ****er in a humane live trap and took him down to the animal shelter. He had a tag and a microchip, so I knew he'd find his way home, but the neighbors had to come rescue him and finally got a clue. I will not hesitate to do it again with any problem animal.

One was sleeping under the hood and i didn't know it until i started the truck.What happened next is to bad to write.

Now i use an high voltage no kill marder schutz that gives them high voltage blast when they touch one of the eight plates.They sure bounce around under the hood a while though and don't come back.The cat next door sees my truck coming and high tails it.

This one is similar with six plates.
http://www2.westfalia.de/shops/neuheiten...ae43eb6586caa23

2-way DEI alarm(Viper, Clifford, Python, doesn't matter) with a proximity sensor and a way to wire in a high-pitched piezo buzzer that drives cats or dogs nuts instead of a siren...

I've seen people leave scraps like chicken bones to attract wild cats. It's disgusting, they leave the bones laying out afterwards.

Cats are running wild in my neighbourhood now. I don't like it. They should not be loose more than a dog should. I may trap them and take to the pound.

Check your local ordinances. I trapped 19 cats in my neighborhood and delivered them to the animal care/control center. They get evaluated, determined if adoption is an option, or they kill them. Then our idiot mayor decided that is just too cruel! They instituted a "catch and release policy." That basically means I trap these cats and turn them in only to find out that animal care/control is spaying/neutering them, giving them a rabies shot, and releasing them back into neighborhoods. The officer actually told me that there were "feral cat populations" they release them into and could name each location of these populations.

Needless to say I don't trap cats anymore because the only point I was trying to accomplish was to keep cats from urinating on my vehicle's wheels and climbing all over it. Even when fixed, the cats will still spray, fight, kill other kittens, and climb on your car.

The only humane thing to do, IMO, is to shoot them. But if you get caught doing that, you get jail time! Amazing society we live in where humans can't manage an animal population.

I will assure you that the reason anyone here has cats around their homes or cars is because someone is close by feeding them. I had neighbors put out bags of food, junk food, table scraps, etc to feed the "neighborhood cats." So, for me, it was easy to trap them - I just offered something better than the neighbors did - chicken.

I have had the same problem for years, especially in winter months. It not only cost me various paint jobs, because the paint was all scratched up, but several headlight and side lamp replacements as well. These are cats that live out on the street, which is common out here.

I have cats at home myself, three of them in fact. So my first approach was to provide food by my door step - big mistake. The cats got friendly with me, rubbing against me when I step out, etc. and it kept them off my car for a good while, although it did not keep them off completely.

Then I started waking up to cat fights in the middle of the night, because one cat would mark my door step as his/her property and attack another cat that gets close. If that wasn't enough, two female cats gave birth and I had 16 cats all over the place, multiplying each mating season. Despite providing them food, they started sitting on my truck again. Sometimes I'd walk out to see 4 or 5 cats sitting on my hood, trunk or roof.

I'm very anal when it comes to my vehicles' appearances, and just couldn't stand it. I was going through tubes and tubes of 3M Scratch Remover each month. But at the same time, I have quite a soft spot for animals. I started only leaving water, which is something I used to do before, due to the intense heat. But that didn't keep them off my car.

Next, I started spraying water from a hose or keeping the cars wet, since cats do not like water. But in summer, it cools down the body and cats jump right back on it. Finally, I gave up, after years of trying and decided to sprinkle my vehicles with Cayenne pepper powder. It wasn't the best approach, and I left even more water than I used to...quite a lot in fact, but it did prove effective.

A thought I had many times was to find a way to get a barn owl to stay near my property. They solve all cat problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back