How Often Do You Check Your Oil?

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by bbhero
That's about what the lady's 98 Camry burns through... A qt every 3k miles...

Car runs darn good though. And 22 yr old ac still puts out 36° air... That surprising.

Does hers smoke?

And yeah, that A/C is incredible. I bought it almost 5 years ago and have never touched the A/C.

Yeah it does smoke a bit when first started... Then it stops.

Yeah the a/c in those cars is simply awesome... 22 years and still putting out 36 degree air... Amazing in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Every time the odometer turns over to the next 1,000 miles.

I like this one.

Originally Posted by circuitsmith
I do by mileage, not time. Every 1,000 miles.

I guess you'd like mine too if I'd mentioned the odometer.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
About once a week or whenever I think to do it. I also check all fluids and tire pressure before going on a long trip (100+ miles) regardless of how recently I'd checked it.

Same.

Once a week . Particularly the '18 Hyundai Accent . Seems to burn oil mixed with gas when traveling at 60+ on the interstate . Thanks to the G.D.I.
eek.gif

Last edited:
Depends on whether the vehicle is prone to using oil or not. If not, about monthly, if it does, then weekly or twice a month, depending on severity of use.

I tend to go a bit longer now, simply because I do not have a level surface to park on and have access to the engine bay. I have to open the garage door, push the vehicle out a bit to be able to pop the hood and do an engine check.

On the truck and car, I check the oil about once a month or every 2-3 fill-ups. They don't leak or burn anything and the oil level is always the same, but it still needs checking periodically.
The dirt bikes and mower, I check the oil before every use. They don't burn or leak either, but they are air-cooled (YZF excepted), the oil capacities are much smaller, and type of use more severe.

Back