How Often Do You Check Your Oil?

How often do you check your oil? I know it will be different if you have a car that uses oil versus one that doesn't. Since I do mostly 3K OCI's, I don't check the oil in those cars. The one I do 5K, I check it every couple of months.

Once a month or so on the ones that don't use oil. The one that does I do once a week or every other. It needs oil about once a month, give or take.

Every couple weeks. My 76 350 Olds, 83 Chevy 305, and 05 4.8 Silverado all use about a qt every 2-3k miles. I usually check it like 5 times before I actually have to add half a qt.

On my oil-burning '02 Camry (295K miles) every 500 miles (it uses 1qt. every 1000-1200 miles), and the same on my '95 Dakota (238K miles), depending on whether it's been hauling at highway speeds. My other two non-oil-burners get checked once or twice between 5K changes.

Once or twice during an OCI (6+ months). Really just depends on my vehicle, though. My ZJ had a leak at the adapter, so I checked the oil level once a month. My current cars now, no leaks/no burning, so I only check once or twice between intervals.

My truck uses oil, sometimes quite a bit of it, so I usually check that every time I drive. I stopped putting TCW3 in the gas (ran out, forget to buy more) so it's back up to about 1 quart every 200 when towing (yes, there is a cloud of blue smoke trailing me). My Jeep I check every time I use it, usually once a month. The Subaru has a low oil level light so I don't check it as often. With the exception it used 1/2 quart over 6K miles on M1 AFE 0w30, it's never used any oil. So I don't worry too bad.

Last edited:
Usually every month or two, and most often when cleaning windows/prepping car for a longer trip. If it's a long road trip I might check it at a gas station, but none of our vehicles needs makeup oil.

Usually once a month check of the oil during a random fuel fill-up. It is easiest at the gas station because they have paper towels right there and the ground is level.

Usually only before 6000 mile oil change. 2013 Fiesta 50,000 + miles. Never seems to go down on the stick. I do check before a long trip. Might even change oil before 6000 mile schedule if the trip will put me much past 6000 miles OCI.

Originally Posted by ryster
Usually once a month check of the oil during a random fuel fill-up. It is easiest at the gas station because they have paper towels right there and the ground is level.
I either do it on the weekend, like first thing Saturday morning, or at lunch time, while at work (just take a lazy stroll out to the parking lot). The oil has all drained down and all I have to do is pull the dipstick.

About 1/3 and 2/3 through the OCI. So when the OLM reads ~70% and ~40%, then I change it at about 10%. My `97 Ram 1500, I check about every 1000 miles, because its commonly needs a 1/2 qt. by then.

About once a week or whenever I think to do it. I also check all fluids and tire pressure before going on a long trip (100+ miles) regardless of how recently I'd checked it.