How often do you check your oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I hardly ever seeing anyone raise the hood at home either.
At gas stations, I haven't witnessed hood-raising since full-service at the pumps ended a million years ago.

I do it at home in the garage, before the first start of the day, maybe every couple weeks or so. The floor is level and I don't have to wait.

Never had a vehicle that consumed anything noticeable (4 motorcycles and 1 car) when I checked in a regular basis when I was younger...so now that I got bored over the years checking just to find the same oil level as the last time , I check about every 4000-5000kms.

Since there is no dipstick on the BMW, I have to remember to run the "ask the car to check" procedure in the iDrive. I try to do it 2x a month.

The Regal, with its oil loss problems, needed a check every 2 weeks, and usually some oil added.

The Park Avenue burned a little oil, but it had a sensor to detect low oil and tell me. Still I checked 1x a month.

I guess I did once a month on most of my earlier cars.

After every oil / filter change , at fill up . If not using a significant amount of oil , maybe rvery month there after .

With my road vehicles, I usually I check the oil levels at every refuel. This can be up to 3 months during the winter with the Corvette. Just for giggles I went 2 months (about 4 fuel tanks) with the Tacoma and it made no difference aside from my stress levels LOL. Neither one of them consumes or leaks any oil, so the oil levels never change, ever. But it still needs to be checked periodically.
I know some people who *never* open the hood between visits to their favorite shop or dealership. Drives me nuts.

Last edited:
Engine uses no measurable oil between OCI and has a 1qt low level light that functions properly so I check it only when I need to go under the hood for something like filling the washer bottle.

I "check" the oil in my BMW via the capacitance thingie every couple of weeks. 205k and it uses maybe a half quart every 5000 miles, through the original turbos according to the oil coming out of the intercooler. I don't even have to open the hood - or stop!

edit: actually, having an electronic dipstick is great. When my RMS failed on an 800 mile trip, I knew exactly when I needed to stop at a walmart and add 2.5 quarts. I knew in real time what the level was and could limp the car home, leaving a trail across three states.

Last edited:
Every time I drive the truck. If there is no oil under, there is no oil in it...

The car and the vans don't leak nearly as much, so weekly to monthly on those.

Tire pressure are also checked weekly or more on the ones with aluminum rims. For what ever reason they like to drop 5-10 psi without rhyme or reason.

Originally Posted by Wagonmaster261
Every time I drive the truck. If there is no oil under, there is oil in it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back