Every few days
Weekly
Every couple weeks
Monthly
Every few months
Before a big trip
Never

I probably check about Monthly.

Depends on the vehicle. I've had vehicles anywhere from ones that needed to be checked at each gas fill up, to ones that used zero oil in a 12,000 mile OCI.

Whenever I feel like it. I aim for monthly. On my beaters it really should be every fill up, as it wouldn't be the first time a vehicle just "suddenly" overnight starts drinking oil, but TBH it's about once a month. Only one vehicle won't go 5k w/o topping off, and I know what's wrong with it, and am hoping to fix when it gets warmer.

With no loss, I would check it at some point halfway through the OCI, some 2K-4K miles. I recently started noticing a slight loss (with no leaking) with the Sienna (extrapolating from mileage & distance down teh dipstick, very roughly 1 quart per 6000 miles). I don't know if this is due to my move to 5w20 or not. But I'll be checking it every month or two from here on out, until it either goes away from a thicker oil or until I know that the loss is very predictable.

used to do it every time i got gas but after the oil level was never low, i just check it once a month or so. even with high mileage, age, and my driving style, none of my vehicles really use oil.

Last edited:
When I first get a used vehicle I check it once a week for a few weeks and when I see for sure it's not using any oil then I go monthly and then less if it still isn't using any. During the winter I check my 89 Sierra every couple weeks so I know how bad it reeks of gas.

Last edited:
Every Sunday ... Check oil, tire pressure, top up washer fluid. Make sure everything is good to go for the week ahead ...

And, I have caught a couple of small issues before they were bigger problems. One leaking oil filter, and probably 3 or 4 tires with slow leaks from a screw /nail.

Every time I start the car.
[Linked Image]

When I remember. The Forester doesn't burn any noticeable amount of oil and has an oil level light, but the Civic burns maybe quarter of a litre between fills, so I try to keep more of an eye on that one in case it gets worse.

Only after an oil change to make sure the level is correct. Otherwise, the car tells me when it's low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back