How often do you check your oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nowadays the fleet is all 3.5 Ecoboost stuff. None of them has ever used oil. I check it maybe every 3 weeks or so, checking level and oil condition. My newest one is my 5th 3.5 EB.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Every Sunday ... Check oil, tire pressure, top up washer fluid. Make sure everything is good to go for the week ahead ...

And, I have caught a couple of small issues before they were bigger problems. One leaking oil filter, and probably 3 or 4 tires with slow leaks from a screw /nail.

This^^^ but i do it on Saturday.

Every 2,500 miles in the Sonata, it needs 1/2 a quart in 2,500 miles.

Never in the Jeep. It doesn't burn any oil.

Every 2 thousand miles or so, which is about once a month for me. Direct injection Silverado is usually a little low (consumes a little over a half quart in 5,000 miles). Wife's CRV (non direct injection) consumes almost nothing over same interval.

Almost never on my MB CDI with OM648 Diesel it doesn't have a dip stick, or for that matter uses oil. Have to go through a series of Menu to check Oil level or how many quarts are in the engine.

My wife's BMW has the electronic display on the dash so I check it about once a week.

My Corvette doesn't consume any oil so I usually only check it about once a month.

My Honda's dipstick is very hard to read so I don't check it, I just add 200ml of oil every 2000km as that's the rate of consumption it's had for the past few years (I double check that by measuring how much oil drains out at oil change time)

I just open the hood once every weekend, quickly check everything and top up the screenwash - it takes about a minute to do both of my cars and means I can keep an eye on things. Tyre pressures every two weeks and rechecked before long journeys. Quick and easy task for a whole lotta peace of mind.

Originally Posted by mattd
Never. The truck does not burn a drop so no need

I do not know of anyone that checks their oil anymore unless they have oil user. I do not see a soul opening their hood when filling up at the gas station. With that said I check mine about every 4K miles.

I hardly ever seeing anyone raise the hood at home either.
At gas stations, I haven't witnessed hood-raising since full-service at the pumps ended a million years ago.

No longer than every 1000 miles but normally every two weeks on my Tacoma and every 4 weeks with the 4 runner. I usually do a thorough check before my drive to work which is 371 miles. I then park the truck for two weeks with a full tank of gas(when I get off I am ready to drive that 5.5-6 hours home. I can see tire pressure in the roll (and carry a mini compressor and plug kit for problems) so On the drive home from work I will check the oil on the next fuel top off. Hasn't used any since the first 2500 miles where it used half a quart.

Weekly

I own a 2002 Silverado 5.3L that has 377k miles on the original engine. Burns about a quart between oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back