Haven't checked my oil in months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I check fluid levels along with tire pressures monthly.

I check our oil with a "constant irregularity" as well as before AND AFTER a highway run of, say, 200 miles.

I believe any "crankcase breathing system" can malfunction and change the way any car sucks oil.

Dipstick is simple verification. Trusting gadgets is....Wait a minute! What's trust? Kira

My V6 Camry uses NO oil but I check it once a week when filling the washer bottle. My 98 I4 uses a very small amount but I check it once a week as well. My son's V6 uses so little
it doesn't need checking for an entire run but he checks it once a week. I like to check the brake fluid and the coolant and power steering fluid when I check the oil. None of the cars use any. My son's 633 CSI uses some but, hey, it's a "high quality" German car.

I usually check the oil in mine and my family's vehicles every weekend. I usually never have to add any. I'm of the mindset that hoods should be raised every once in awhile just to check things out.

I check it on my car about once a month as it uses very little. I try to check the wife's car about once a month too, but the odd time I realize its been a few months, but its never been low.

I check my Rav4 at least twice a week and inspect all the fluids and whisper some words of encouragement to her. Which is about every 300 miles. Its oil consumption is increasing. I check my Camry every two or three weeks. It consumes a little oil. My son drives the corolla away at college and needs to be nagged to check the oil.

I have a friend that drives a 2004 Infinity with about 100K on it. Neither she or her husband ever check the oil. She does get it changed every 5K and has not had a problem so far. Her husband had a Ford Expedition (I don't know what year) that he put almost 300k on. He never checked oil on it and originally changed the oil every 10 to 15K. For the last couple years he would have the oil changed when the oil pressure light came on which he said was getting more often. He recently traded the Expedition for a KIA Sorento. He is currently having the oil changed at the dealer on schedule. Hopefully he will keep that up.

All my vehicles are considered by you'all to be high mileage. They all use some. They were all built before OLM's were ever installed. I need to open the hood and check all fluids before any sort of long drive.

I know how much the "burn" (drip), but not if I've lost a hose, have a new mouse nest, or anything is amiss. So they all get checked. Usually nothing to do. Sometimes there is ...

Really depends on the car. My wife's Rabbit gets checked once a month or so. My Expedition, almost never between 7500 mile changes. The S2000 and NSX usually before driving them, unless I've just driven them. None of my cars really uses oil. Well, the S2000 does, but typically only when it's in VTEC a lot.

robert

I check it about every 3rd or 4th fill up, 1000-1200 miles. It uses a little bit of oil and between the different oil types I've used over the last year, I'm still establishing a qts used/1000. Right now it's looking pretty good with using MaxLife blend on the last change and MaxLife synthetic this current change, but I'm due to change and am planning to use MaxLife synthetic again.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
After you establish a lubrication strategy do you still regularly check the oil?

I haven't checked mine in months. After many hours of reading BITOG and thinking about motor oil I feel like I can relax and drive.

My 1 year OCI doesn't run down the OLM anywhere close to zero, and my oil level sensor tells me when to add more oil.

In a CAMRY? What model car do you have with an OLM that measures percentage? IICR, most models have just a mileage counter (ENG MAINT) that blinks at 4.5k and is on steady @ 5k miles....

In any case, I check the d-stick at about the time I fill the gas tank ((400-500 mi) or after a long highway haul....and just to be sure I keep a quart in the trunk.

I check my oil and coolant level every weekend if the vehicle has been driven that week and fill up the washer fluid. I usually don't have to add any oil to any of them. The only exception is, the Hondas will use a bit between OCIs if they're driven on long trips. My wife has started a PhD program and she's driving about 100 miles one way twice a week. I make sure her cars are in perfect order as best I can. She prefers to drive the 216,000 mile 2000 Civic...

The Protege5 leaks, so I check it just about every tank of fuel.

The first 2k miles after a change it may lose 1qt. After that, it's a quart every 1k miles.

I check my oil level every 1k tht way i can establish a baseline if my cars are burning oil.

My Malibu doesn't burn oil but my Taurus has a few small leaks.

I check it every few weeks, even on the newer cars that go a whole 9000 miles without make-up oil. You never know when something might change- all it takes is a stuck PCV valve to radically alter consumption. The price is too high and its just too bone-headed simple to check the oil. Takes all of an extra minute to do.

+1

I check all the fluids (not just oil) under the hood every week to help seek out potential problems.

Recently, my coolant level suddenly started dropping a little each day. Turned out to be a broken radiator neck where the upper hose attaches. You couldn't tell by looking at it. Hose/neck were not far from breaking off entirely and I would've lost all coolant on the road somewhere.

Had I not checked fluid levels regularly, I would not have detected the problem and could've ruined my engine from overheating.

Friend of mine recently seized his engine due to no oil condition. He's not a car guy and never checks under the hood. Must've had a leak somewhere and never knew it. Car only had 32,000 miles on it. It could have been avoided. What a shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back