I was surprised when I checked my oil today

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one reason I like changing my own oil..gives me a chance to take LED light and look all around the underside of the engine, radiator, etc and look for potential problems.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Kira
....Yeah, the chances of a bit of teflon tape shearing off and messing something up are very low.
I'm sure the OP applied the tape judiciously. Even when using the stuff on plumbing basics I look to see where the pipe threads contacted and zero in on that part of the threads.

Only delicate gas valves / regulators fear the occasional bit of tape which would jam them. The hardware store man told me that when the blue paste was introduced.

I do have a couple of concerns:

1. Does this sensor seal via mating surfaces (e.g., valve seat), gasket (i.e., by compression) or via the threads themselves? If it doesn't seal by the threads, then the sensor may leak again, especially if the OP rung 10 turns around this thing and tried his best to get it back on most of the way lol (I speak in jest; no offense intended)

2. Is teflon oil-safe? I wouldn't worry about pieces shearing off and causing a problem. Instead, I'm more concerned about the tape dissolving and resulting in a leak or allow the sensor to loosen and leak.

Update:
Your concerns are well founded.....I found that I still had a leak after tightening the old oil sensor.
I ordered a new Motorcraft OE sensor (under $15 delivered from RA) and all is now well.

Here's what I think may have happened....the OE plug felt loose when I checked it and probably was the cause of the initial leak....because I didn't have a 13/16 deep socket...I used an open end wrench to tighten it and probably put off centered pressure on the valve which caused it to leak where the plastic meets metal...or else I overtightened it...or else that was where it was leaking from originally....I'll never know...but a new sensor, tightened with the proper deep socket and not overtightened has solved my leak problem. Incidentally, I didn't use Teflon tape on the new one because it came with a sealant on the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back