How Often Do You Check Your Oil?

I don't have any oil burners, so before trips that will take 4 hrs or more and right before OCI's.

Last edited:
None of my car's use oil so very seldom. On Toyota it has a dipstick on Benz I have to go through series of menu to check oil level.

Not too often. The Genesis doesn't seem to consume much, so maybe halfway through a 6k mile OCI.

The Jeep burns nothing, just changed the oil last weekend after a 4,900 mile 27 month OCI. I think I checked it once in over 2 years. Was uneventful.

The Camry smokes on startup from the valve guide seals, burns a quart every 2,500 miles or so. Surprisingly it doesn't burn that much given the smoke plumes.

That's about what the lady's 98 Camry burns through... A qt every 3k miles...

Car runs darn good though. And 22 yr old ac still puts out 36° air... That surprising.

I do by mileage, not time. Every 1,000 miles.
Pre-COVID that took anywhere from 3 days to 3 months.
Now driving less than 10 miles/week.
Car does not consume measurable amount.

At 290k miles often, at least weekly. On my 30k never driven RAV4 maybe once every few months but it gets driven maybe 20 miles a week and burns go oil.

About every 2-4 weeks on the 02 Ranger due to no level warning, and it has leaks. It also gets driven the most.

I actually go longer, often many months, on the 1994 trucks because they do have low level warning lights, which do work (will flash on start up). A couple times the Ranger has given false warnings probably due to being parked on an incline/weird angle.

Once a month on personal vehicles.
Every week on the intertrashonal. Oil goes in, blue smoke billows out. It's a Maxxxforce thing.

honestly just after a OCI to get it back on the top bead, once there the Toyotas are rock solid..waste more oil wiping the dipstick than they burn in 8-10k.

Originally Posted by bbhero
That's about what the lady's 98 Camry burns through... A qt every 3k miles...

Car runs darn good though. And 22 yr old ac still puts out 36° air... That surprising.

Does hers smoke?

And yeah, that A/C is incredible. I bought it almost 5 years ago and have never touched the A/C.

These days with typical driving I check all fluids every 2-3 weeks even though my ride doesn't have THAT many miles on it. Also check tire psi every 2 weeks or so. Always been one for preventive maintenance for everything I own, but at one time I was delivering prescriptions on a high end/costly level and I got in the habit of checking my ride on a very regular basis. Didn't want to jeopardize a break down with $50K+ worth of meds on board in hot/humid NC summers. Getting paid hourly & mileage was quite generous as well...

Every 3-5 fill ups

2014 Tundra
2019 Highlander

I even write it down. Date, mileage and level

That way I can see if there's a problem.

I have always checked the oil & fluid levels in my vehicles, I would pull the dipstick and feel the oil between my fingers until I bought a 2016 Volvo XC60 with the 300hp 2.0 liter engine.
I was disgusted when I found out it had no dip stick and there was a wait period after shutting it down to check it electronically.
I always forget to check it before I start it do I don't check & I don't care.
You can't even check the transmission oil.
Let the electronic sensor tell me it's out of oil then I'll put some in it.
Apparently they think it's more important to tell you your washer fluid & brake fluid is low.
Under warranty let Volvo eat it!!
I'm sorry but there is no relationship with today's vehicles.
My old MINT 1990 Dodge Cummins W350 single axle has a 3 foot dipstick & I use that.
Like the Common Core Math today I don't understand why they do things the way they do.

90cummins

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Every time the odometer turns over to the next 1,000 miles.

I like this one.

Originally Posted by Eddie
~ 1,000 miles by habit and just before an oil change. Ed

And I like this one, too.

Easy to remember...
And easy to instruct my family and the owners of the cars I maintain.

Thanks 777 and Eddie!

Back