How do people get away with tinting a windshield?

Is this the conventional wisdom, meaning word on the street?

A couple weeks ago an Altima was pulled over literally at the end of our driveway, 7 police vehicles there with guns drawn. Then the driver was allowed to drive away. This seems to be the complete opposite of the above, or yes, my town is overstaffed. Just extreme, I can't imagine being pulled over, a gun pointed at me, then I simply go about my business. I've watched a lot of tv drama over the years and if this were tv the driver would be on his way to central booking based on the interaction.
It could have matched the description of a wanted vehicle and turned out it wasn't.

My ford pass/rear glass is 17% from the factory. Says so right on the window stamp. VLT 17%.

I had the fronts tinted to 15% to match-ish and the windshield tinted to 50%. I was very worried about how dark it would be as I have had old dyed tint and it was hard to see out. The new ceramic stuff is great and does not really impair the view that much. Its so nice to not need sun glasses anymore.

Have a few LEO friends and they all hate traffic stuff. Will only pull over for serious stuff. Might be an addon charge in that case.

I was advised if pulled over roll down the windows to put the officers mind at ease.

beEg13Q.png

Don't like tinted windshields. Don't know why people have to hide away from everybody. Makes it tough to have any eye contact at all at intersections. I suppose I could see it having a benefit in hot, sunny climates.

My ford pass/rear glass is 17% from the factory. Says so right on the window stamp. VLT 17%.

I had the fronts tinted to 15% to match-ish and the windshield tinted to 50%. I was very worried about how dark it would be as I have had old dyed tint and it was hard to see out. The new ceramic stuff is great and does not really impair the view that much. Its so nice to not need sun glasses anymore.

Have a few LEO friends and they all hate traffic stuff. Will only pull over for serious stuff. Might be an addon charge in that case.

I was advised if pulled over roll down the windows to put the officers mind at ease.

beEg13Q.png
Well at least you didn't go full dark and tint the headlights & taillights like the Explorer I saw yesterday. Spitting image of yours but with the mentioned additions.

Well at least you didn't go full dark and tint the headlights & taillights like the Explorer I saw yesterday. Spitting image of yours but with the mentioned additions.
I'll be honest, the tinted tails still work well enough to see it at least the ones I have encountered. Headlights, not sure why anyone would do that.

Ya I don't even notice those. This, good lord. lol
On FB, there is a group you can tag folks with called "I tint my taillights so they work less" AHAHAHHAAH. So funny. Causes all sorts of drama and fighting when people post pics of it.

The same way their getting away with driving without insurance, driving without front tags (in most states) driving while talking or text on a cell phone etc..

I see them , pretty much 100% blacked out tinted windowed vehicles all over , all the time. You CAN NOT see what is going on inside. First thing that always pops to mind: I would not want to be an LEO who , doing The Job may have to approach that automobile. LEOs , EMTs or just about anyone who comes into contact could be placing their lives in danger. There are laws all over restritcing this. LEOs who have the time and make a point to address , it can fine and even place a hold on these veichles in some places I have read. Problem is , even with the the laws on the books and some LEOs trying to address the law breaking issue , the numbers of these being seen all over just keeps growing and these tints getting darker and darker. I guess with all the LEOs who are chosing to retire for lack of respect , harrassements and all the accusations hurled against them there are not enough left these days to do anything but respond to dangerous acts in progress vs trying to clean up this type of issue that puts them in danger daily. On top of those places / people who install this illegally there are now even lots of new cars that come with it in place already BUT at least at legal limits.
I have a childhood memory of being with an uncle of mine (who was in uniform as a Federal Prison Guard) getting pulled over for speeding by a Kansas State patrolman; the patrolman and my uncle were both very polite and businesslike (yes sir, no sir, thank you). AFTER the patrolman wrote my uncle the ticket, my uncle, kind of complaining but not really, asked the Officer why didn't he ticket someone else who was going faster??
The State fellow, in response, asked my uncle, "Are you a fisherman?" My uncle smiled and said "Yes, of course." And I guess he thought they were going to start talking about fishing....But then the policeman asked him "Well, have you ever caught ALL the fish in the lake?"
I have been speeding in the center lane of a 5 lane highway (5 lanes both directions), so it is a ten lane highway, and a cop has someone pulled over on the shoulder (maybe for speeding, who knows?) But his cherries are lit up. Speed limit is 60, and I'm in PACK of cars doing 75, and NO ONE even slows down at all.

Idk how some people get away with it, one of my managers gets stopped all the time in his Yukon for windows too dark, when it is 100% factory tint.
The only "mod" was he had it debadged, so maybe that adds a "hoodlum" appearance?

The same way their getting away with driving without insurance, driving without front tags (in most states) driving while talking or text on a cell phone etc..
B/c at some point, we just can't police every single thing in our society as much as folks want it that way sometime. I can't stand giant lifted trucks with tires sticking out kicking crap all over my car when I'm behind them. It's clearly against state inspection requirements here in VA but yet there they are. I just get away from them. My car has some items on it that aren't kosher either...it's what it is.

All my cars have it, it's a necessity in Florida.
Heck I have whole windshield tint AND also a strip at the top; you don't need to go too dark.

My "commuters" have 55%, it's barely noticeable and cops have never batted an eye.
My STI has 70%, because it already gets enough police attention as it is.

I think in IL, it's illegal to tint your fronts. But I see plenty of cars with limo tint all around. Sadly, I don't think the Chicago Police do much "traffic enforcement" anymore.

Back