Help picking tint %

Picked up this G70 over the weekend: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/new-genesis-g70-2-0t-awd-elite.330855/

Got them to throw in tint. Now I have to decide on a level.

Florida Law:

Front: No darker than 30%
Front windshield strip: No darker than 30%
Rear: No darker than 15%

Dealer has the following options: 15%, 30%, 80%. Ceramic film.

Typically I am not a fan of mixed %'s nor the windshield strip. I want to be able to see out of this car at night. This Florida sun though has me wondering if I should go as dark as legal on all panes though.

I am leaning towards 30% all the way around with the windshield strip also @ 30% (or maybe 80%).

I have always gone as dark as legal which in my area is 30% front windows 30% rear windows 15% rear windshield and never had problems seeing at night.

If you want some visibility at night, I’d do 30% all the way around.

I have 35% on my Jeep’s front windows and 20% on the rear. If there’s not many other lights around, I can’t really see anything.

30% with a moderately good quality film like 3m Color Stable will block about the same amount of heat as 15% with the same film,
More than lesser quality films, that’s probably what I’d do. Going too dark can also create annoying reflections at night from modern interior screens, gauges and gadgets, along with other visibility issues

If you install 30% film onto the existing side windows, the end result will meter below 30%....which means you will not be legal. Factory glass has some amount of pre-existing tint. I would expect 30% film to meter in the low to mid 20% range after install.

For the windshield I would find someone outside of the dealer and install 3M Crystalline 70% or Xpel Prime XR Plus in 70%. It takes a lot of skill to properly shrink and tint a windshield with minimal contamination. Dealers do not pay well for tinters and it is rare to find a good one employed.

Here are some pictures of my truck with the following combo:
3M Crystalline 70% - front windshield and front side glass
3M Ceramic IR 35% - rear side windows and rear windshield (installed over factory privacy glass)

These picture were taken at different times of the day so you can get a better idea of what 70% looks like on the front windshield. Crystalline does have some strange hues so it makes the film appear darker than it actually is.

Attachments

• C089386B-EDA1-4043-98A4-F900A6205051.jpeg
    C089386B-EDA1-4043-98A4-F900A6205051.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 52
  • AF20B4A3-4E9C-40C2-818F-1234FD69BD8C.jpeg
    AF20B4A3-4E9C-40C2-818F-1234FD69BD8C.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 54
  • A3E7C5D6-1492-4069-9121-C901378BA59D.jpeg
    A3E7C5D6-1492-4069-9121-C901378BA59D.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 50
We have 35% rear and 50% front limit in VA - 35 is nice and can still see well enough at night. 50 is pretty light but more than adequate - the ceramic is key and substantially reduces the inside temp. 15 seems really dark (to me).

We have 35% rear and 50% front limit in VA - 35 is nice and can still see well enough at night. 50 is pretty light but more than adequate - the ceramic is key and substantially reduces the inside temp. 15 seems really dark (to me).
Not all ceramic's are equal as well. If you take a look at the various data sheets, there are some notable differences in the TSER between brands and also the IRER (infrared energy rejection).

How much does a dealer charge vs a tint shop ? Odds are the dealer is going to have a tint shop actually do the work (that's what happens here but in FL, I imagine dealers may do the work in-house since tint is so common). There's little advantage to having a dealer do it though.
This Florida sun though has me wondering if I should go as dark as legal on all panes though.
Yes, go as dark as legal. My wife has 20% on her car and at night, it takes me some getting used to since I don't drive it often.

I'm not a fan of the strips on the front windshield. It's usually very dark with a hard line/edge where it switches to clear. At least with the factory tint, it's gradient and blends from dark to light/clear.

Yea not sure what the dealer is charging. It was my last negotiation piece. I had the pen in my hand and said okay I’ll sign right now but I want you to tint it for me included in this price. They said okay and I put pen to paper.

I think I’m going to go 15% on rears, 30% on fronts and I’ll do the strip on the windshield for now. Eventually I’ll find a shop to the entire windshield in a light tint. Like no more than 50, probably 80. Just enough to block some heat and rays.

Other thought is to do 30% all around but 15% on just the rear windshield. That should darken the entire interior and make the 30% seem darker from the outside. Hmmm.

How much does a dealer charge vs a tint shop ? Odds are the dealer is going to have a tint shop actually do the work (that's what happens here but in FL, I imagine dealers may do the work in-house since tint is so common). There's little advantage to having a dealer do it though.

Yes, go as dark as legal. My wife has 20% on her car and at night, it takes me some getting used to since I don't drive it often.

I'm not a fan of the strips on the front windshield. It's usually very dark with a hard line/edge where it switches to clear. At least with the factory tint, it's gradient and blends from dark to light/clear.

Picked up this G70 over the weekend: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/new-genesis-g70-2-0t-awd-elite.330855/

Got them to throw in tint. Now I have to decide on a level.

Florida Law:

Front: No darker than 30%
Front windshield strip: No darker than 30%
Rear: No darker than 15%

Typically I am not a fan of mixed %'s nor the windshield strip. I want to be able to see out of this car at night. This Florida sun though has me wondering if I should go as dark as legal on all panes though.

I am leaning towards 30% all the way around with the windshield strip also @ 30% (or maybe 80%).

Do the FL max all around. You can see at night and people can see there's a person inside. I did my MB in FL that %. If you go darker, FL State troopers use that as a reason to stop you and search your car with probably cause. My tint guy would not do darker than legal but many will. I don't think you can do any tinting on the windshield per state law.

I have 30% all around on my car and like it. 15% is too dark and 80% is virtually clear. I also have a 20% windshield strip. A 30% strip wouldn't do much, I'd go with the 15%.

Eventually I’ll find a shop to the entire windshield in a light tint. Like no more than 50, probably 80.
If purely for heat reduction, get a quality ceramic but only on the windshield.

Do the FL max all around. You can see at night and people can see there's a person inside. I did my MB in FL that %. If you go darker, FL State troopers use that as a reason to stop you and search your car with probably cause. My tint guy would not do darker than legal but many will. I don't think you can do any tinting on the windshield per state law.

Probable cause for what? That's absurd.

When I lived in FL. I had 5% all around, and double 5% on the back glass. When I'm driving at night the headlights look like candles in my rear view mirror. I also have a 5% windshield strip.
When I moved back to Louisiana I was pulled over by a State Trooper. He gave me a ticket for $293. I had the front windows stripped and legal tint (40%) installed. My friend is very good friends with our DA. She had him get it reduced (AKA-fixed). I only had to pay $50. All the other windows are still tinted the same like when I lived in FL.

Yea not sure what the dealer is charging. It was my last negotiation piece. I had the pen in my hand and said okay I’ll sign right now but I want you to tint it for me included in this price. They said okay and I put pen to paper.

I think I’m going to go 15% on rears, 30% on fronts and I’ll do the strip on the windshield for now. Eventually I’ll find a shop to the entire windshield in a light tint. Like no more than 50, probably 80. Just enough to block some heat and rays.

Other thought is to do 30% all around but 15% on just the rear windshield. That should darken the entire interior and make the 30% seem darker from the outside. Hmmm.

The dealer, as already mentioned, subs it out to a local tinter, then marks up the price on it.

Better to just go to a shop yourself, after you shop around for brands and an installer.

Remember, if you want to follow the letter of the law, putting on 15% will break the law. The factory glass has some level of tint on it, so your overall visible light transmittance will be lower than 15% when you're done.

Back