How do people get away with tinting a windshield?

Especially in states where it's against the law. Why take on that liability as a business owner? I notice it this morning as a contractor from Johnson Controls who used his own vehicle.
New Pilot with limo tint or darker on all windows including windshield. I couldn't even see a person was in the car at all, hell he even tinted his headlight housings.

I looked up the law for NJ & PA;

PA only allows 70% Visible Light Transmission on all windows and nothing is allowed on the windshield not even the tint strip at the top.

NJ only allows the rear side windows and rear window at any tint level. The windshield & front side windows are a no go.

I just don't understand lowering your visual acuity because it looks cool.

/oldmanrant

Just a generic answer. Statutes/ codes/ laws are not being enforced.
That I get but NJ tends to be really anal about vehicles, headlight out and the such. PA can be liberal if you live in the middle of nowhere vs. a metro area where they are stricter.

1) Don’t drive stupid 2) Keep the car clean 3) Avoid unnecessary attention 4) Special plate doesn’t hurt 5) Dumb luck
My previous car was a shade lighter, and it was better. This darker version was a bit dingy’ and not all that desirable —changed it.
IMG_1489.jpeg

Last edited:
That I get but NJ tends to be really anal about vehicles, headlight out and the such. PA can be liberal if you live in the middle of nowhere vs. a metro area where they are stricter.
The trend appears to be non-enforcement of motor vehicle laws in "and around larger metropolitan areas of some states. Pulling over a deeply tinted vehicle can be an execution for law enforcement today. Very sadly, times have changed.

On another note- one needs to "look the other way- even if 100 percent in the right", when having an issue with another motorist today.

Just because they do it and drive around with it doesn't mean they are "getting away with it". I'd like to think LEO's have more important matters to worry about.
Illegally tinted windows may have many second and third hand effects. From impaired vision, especially at night, to being an enabler of felonious crimes. Both can lead to deaths of innocent people.

Illegally tinted windows may have many second and third hand effects. From impaired vision, especially at night, to being an enabler of felonious crimes. Both can lead to deaths of innocent
If you're inferring that tinted windshields are a reason for an increase in crime and deaths, I'd love for you to reference that data. Because it certainly looks like you are.

If you're inferring that tinted windshields are a reason for an increase in crime and deaths, I'd love for you to reference that data. Because it certainly looks like you are.
Thousands of articles out there documenting this. Maybe you should write a paper on how tinted windows does not incur of causalities/ fatalities of innocent victims, and how tinted windows is not a enabler for criminal activities. I would love to read your paper.

But if you can't grasp it- I am sure nothing I or anyone may post will impact your bias/ position.

Why take on that liability as a business owner?
If you mean the tint shop and being liable, they're not. Tint laws apply to the vehicle owner. You can be sure the tint shop made them sign a form saying they (the customer) has been advised and understands the tint they requested and the legalities and if they get cited, the shop isn't responsible and the customer will pay to remove and/or replace the tint and the shop won't waive the costs.

There are medical exemptions occasionally where a person cannot be exposed to the sun that would come into the vehicle because of a skin condition. It used to be that Pennsylvania would issue those exemptions if a doctor signed off on a form. After 9/11 very very few people have been able to get that exemption even if they have a valid reason for it. But still that's probably less than 1% of the vehicles out there that are driving around with tinted windows all the way around. I know of one medical exemption case and after 9/11 they simply could not get the state to sign off on making it legal with the exemption even though they acquired that exemption on a vehicle they own before 9/11. So after 9/11 when they had to retire the previous vehicle and acquired another vehicle they simply had it done and paid cash.

Btw, the incident that I'm talking about was not a person initially having a skin condition but having a skin condition because of a side effect of a medication that they have to take on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Back