How do people get away with tinting a windshield?

Is this the conventional wisdom, meaning word on the street?

A couple weeks ago an Altima was pulled over literally at the end of our driveway, 7 police vehicles there with guns drawn. Then the driver was allowed to drive away. This seems to be the complete opposite of the above, or yes, my town is overstaffed. Just extreme, I can't imagine being pulled over, a gun pointed at me, then I simply go about my business. I've watched a lot of tv drama over the years and if this were tv the driver would be on his way to central booking based on the interaction.
That's not a normal traffic stop, that's something else.
TV is not real life.

Cops around here don't really pull over for anything - only seems like they wait on highway or speed traps. I can't imagine they would pullover someone for tint.

I passed a cop the other day going 15 over

I think in IL, it's illegal to tint your fronts. But I see plenty of cars with limo tint all around. Sadly, I don't think the Chicago Police do much "traffic enforcement" anymore.
When I worked there, the ONLY time you ever saw a cop was if there was an accident...

When I worked there, the ONLY time you ever saw a cop was if there was an accident...
Riddle me this. My buddy was driving his mom's car, and he gets hit by another car on the rear left door, while the other car was turning and buddy standing still. Cops come, driver of other car has no license. Car is not registered and not insured. Cop was reluctant to take a report and encouraging my buddy to exchange info and be on their way. My buddy insisted there is a report and cop was not happy. After the report taken, the other driver was ticketed, then got back in the car and drove away. I told my buddy *** this makes no sense? He said not to me either, I was livid. Good ol commonwealth of PA.

Lazy cops. I noticed at the end of my police career all the news cops cared about was "drug enforcement". Any other calls were beneath them. Now if they thought they could make a drug arrest off a traffic stop they would stop cars all shift long but not to stop dangerous driving behavior but a traffic stop with hopes that it would lead to drugs, guns and money. Tickets to save lives and prevent injuries isn't sexy anymore. I guess all that dare training is brainwashed all the kids who have become cops now into thinking that policing is nothing but drug enforcement. Stated as a retired 28+ year veteran peace officer who served in nearly every area of law enforcement.

There's no such thing as a rear windshield...

Ok, tell the company that sells millions of them they're using incorrect terminology. Also, the other 15+ million pages that come up when you search the specific phrase on Google in quotations. I don't say rear windshield either, but I was accounting for both regional differences and someone possibly stupidly misinterpreting if I wasn't specific. However, I seem to come across a whole new form of nonsense requiring a crystal ball to avoid via your post.

Ok, tell the company that sells millions of them they're using incorrect terminology. Also, the other 15+ million pages that come up when you search the specific phrase on Google in quotations. I don't say rear windshield either, but I was accounting for both regional differences and someone possibly stupidly misinterpreting if I wasn't specific. However, I seem to come across a whole new form of nonsense requiring a crystal ball to avoid via your post.
It’s a lot like the people who get upset when you call an engine a “motor”, we know what they mean and most people don’t care. Or the whole “pop” vs “soda” thing…. The “soda” people are wrong but we still accept them as part of society 😉

It’s a lot like the people who get upset when you call an engine a “motor”, we know what they mean and most people don’t care. Or the whole “pop” vs “soda” thing…. The “soda” people are wrong but we still accept them as part of society 😉
What about "Soda pop"?

OIP.86fZYwlXghxLccFQuI2oDQHaEK
He uses spray paint to tint his windshield. :ROFLMAO:

How fast would one have to drive in reverse to need shielding from the wind?

No, Soda is the correct word. Pop is what we call our Dads...

Don't know if this was mentioned already. (I skimmed quickly through six pages of this thread.) In California, window tinting forward of the B pillar is illegal. This is a law that is "more honored in the breach." In fact, it seems that cars are coming from the factory with window tinting that could be considered illegal. The reason is that nobody wants to be seen breaking that other law, using your cell phone while operating a vehicle.

Loud exhausts, on cars and motorcycles, are also illegal in California. Cops don't enforce this one either unless they pull over a motorcyclist and want to mess with him. Ask me how I know.

Illegally tinted windows may have many second and third hand effects. From impaired vision, especially at night, to being an enabler of felonious crimes. Both can lead to deaths of innocent people.
As a motorcyclist, I hate the dark tinted windows. I want to see the person inside and where he/she is looking or making eye contact with them. In Florida, for example, the legally allowed tint allows this. But cops in Fl are totally blacked out. In some places, cops will park an old Crown Vic in the median and let it sit there. It will slow down traffic for a couple of days then they move it. You can't see if anybody is in there.

Reactions: GON
i like to be able to see the other drivers, front windshield tint is fine with me as long as it's not too dark

Back