Home Made Mayonnaise

I bought some store-made potato salad today and it was so good, the trouble is, it contains soy oil-based store-bought mayo, the mayo that tastes good but isn't very healthy. I seldom eat store mayo but I often make my own mayo which is excellent. I'm going to make an egg salad with some of it.

The mayo recipe:

1 raw egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBS ACV / apple cider vinegar (but most any vinegar should work)
1 Cup of light / mild-tasting olive oil, or avocado oil (other oils could be used, tho not recommended)

Optional :

1/4 C melted coconut oil (will make it thicker when refrigerated)
1 tsp nutritional yeast (gives it a nice flavor plus adds B vitamins)
garlic powder
black pepper

I blend it with an immersion blender for best results, in a jar that's close to the same diameter as the blade end of the blender.
I just made this and it came out perfect. Will keep in the fridge for a good week or two.

DSC_2138.JPG

I've read once you make homemade mayo you won't go back. Does the yeast cause any issues with storage, or consistency? I've Never thought about using that in mayo.

Does the yeast cause any issues with storage, or consistency?
It doesn't seem to.
I didn't used to tolerate it too well but I do now and it tastes good in the mayo.
It's supposedly high in histamines.

It doesn't seem to.
I didn't used to tolerate it too well but I do now and it tastes good in the mayo.
It's supposedly high in histamines.
high in histamines...never heard that... the only thing i've ever used Nutritional Yeast Flakes for is a Pop Corn topping. Delicious.

What about that is unhealthy? How about?
Most mayo and salad dressings are soy oil based.
Soy is high in Omega 6 fats which are inflammatory and will affect your Omega 3 to 6 ratio in a bad way.
Not only that, they're high in PUFAs (polyunsaturated fatty acids) that oxidize and deplete Vitamin E.

This is what's in the Smart Balance brand mayo you listed:

'WATER, CANOLA OIL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH+, EGGS (WHOLE EGGS, EGG YOLKS, SALT), SUGAR, VINEGAR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: LEMON JUICE, SALT, MUSTARD FLOUR+, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA COLOR+, BETA-CAROTENE (COLOR)+, POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVE), SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVATIVE), XANTHAN GUM+, DL-A-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E)+, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA AND TBHQ (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS).'

I've looked at other brands of mayo that say "olive oil" or "avocado oil" on the label, then found that it contains other cheap and undesirable oils such as canola oil. They add a small amount of EVOO to it and then label it "olive oil mayo" but it still contains large amounts of toxic oils such as soy oil.

To each his own but I like to control what I put in my body.
It may cost a little more and be more work but to me it's worth it to make my own mayo.

Dukes Mayonnaise is the way to go, the official mayonnaise of the south and still comes in a 32oz jar. Never tried homemade mayonnaise that’s one thing my sister doesn’t make.
Duke's tastes great but is soy oil-based just like most commercially made mayo.
That's fine as long as you care only about taste.

Actually I've pretty much stopped using it all together. Doesn't really add anything to a sandwich but calories.
I know what you mean. Mayo mostly is mostly whipped oil.
I like mustard quite well and it's much lower in calories.

Yet I do think coconut oil, butter, EVOO, and ghee are quite beneficial, plus they add flavor.

a good move as most processed foods use poor unhealthy oils, soy is one of the worse BUT canola that many consider good is not, add corn oil to the poor list. Primal Kitchen makes a decent mayo with avocado oil but $$$. many foods bad affects dont show until later in life, + good food choices can lead to a longer + healthier life. lots of info on line but gotta sort out the bull. search how oils are made for an eye opener!

I bought some store-made potato salad today and it was so good, the trouble is, it contains soy oil-based store-bought mayo, the mayo that tastes good but isn't very healthy. I seldom eat store mayo but I often make my own mayo which is excellent. I'm going to make an egg salad with some of it.

The mayo recipe:

1 raw egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBS ACV / apple cider vinegar (but most any vinegar should work)
1 Cup of light / mild-tasting olive oil, or avocado oil (other oils could be used, tho not recommended)

Optional :

1/4 C melted coconut oil (will make it thicker when refrigerated)
1 tsp nutritional yeast (gives it a nice flavor plus adds B vitamins)
garlic powder
black pepper

I blend it with an immersion blender for best results, in a jar that's close to the same diameter as the blade end of the blender.
I just made this and it came out perfect. Will keep in the fridge for a good week or two.

Regarding the ingredients, is the salt only for taste, or does it help in some other manner of chemical interaction?
I'm on a low-salt diet, and would like to try making some, if eliminating the salt won't affect the formation of the condiment.

Regarding the ingredients, is the salt only for taste, or does it help in some other manner of chemical interaction?
I'm on a low-salt diet, and would like to try making some, if eliminating the salt won't affect the formation of the condiment.
I don't put salt in mine. The lemon juice provides the taste - the absence of salt doesn't affect the emulsification of the eggs. The recipes can vary a lot - I use 1 egg and one egg yolk, lemon juice, olive oil and pressed garlic for an aioli. Lasts a while because the lemon juice inhibits the growth of bacteria.

Back