Higher Molly oils for a Porsche 991 996

After much research my head hurts. Looking for a high Molly oil. Car is a Porsche 991 996, the mechanics tell me to use a high molly oil to help with the potential of cylinder scuffing.
It's current oil is M1 5/40 euro.
Recommendations form the gurus?

I would wonder why piston scuffing is an issues to begin with.

Anyway... Driven LS30 and DT40 are good oils common to the Porsche world that are ~550 ppm. High Performance Lubricants Euro 5W-40 is also up there ~600 ppm. The M1 Euro is ~80 ppm.

I wouldn't waste your time and money with a supplement. If you need a supplement, you're using the wrong oil.

I haven't researched this, but an obvious answer might be LiquiMoly engine oil.
They went to the trouble of putting "Moly" in their name, so maybe their oil is high in Moly.

For what you are looking for, you might want to do some research on another anti-wear additive: Titanium. Castrol Euro 5W-30 A3/B4 with the MB 229.5 certification (5 quart jug at Walmart is $28)
markets that oil as having strongest protection when the forces become the most severe in an engine.
It likely has the highest level of Titanium of any oil. It might be able to help you with the cylinder scuffing concern.

After way too much research also, I use Redline 10w-50 in our 986 and 996. Redline has significant Mo levels in most of their oils. That would be a fine choice as would M1 5w-50, the same weight as the recommended Porsche Classic oil, which is also an option, but a pricey one.

Our 993 gets Redline 10w-60 for the same reasons.

NO additives.

I assume you meant 'Porsche 911 996' 😄

Post a pic please.

Last edited:
They went to the trouble of putting "Moly" in their name, so maybe their oil is high in Moly.
Liquimoly's name is derived from their original MoS2 additive product. Some of their various oils have some moly but the name isn't indictive that all of their oils contain elevated moly....certainly not at the level of the HPL products.

My biggest issue with Mobil 1 is lack of moly. Even if it is trimer more effective at low doses it is still quite low.

HPL, the darling, uses very high amounts even in their lowest tier. That must say something.
Even if its the dimer, its still high by most metrics.
I'd be curious what they are using, because I think there are some synergies from using both potentially.

After much research my head hurts. Looking for a high Molly oil. Car is a Porsche 991 996, the mechanics tell me to use a high molly oil to help with the potential of cylinder scuffing.
It's current oil is M1 5/40 euro.
Recommendations form the gurus?

This model was in production from 1997-2004 correct? Additive technology has advanced over the last 20 years so I wouldn't focus on only one ingredient which was commonly used back then. Secondly I doubt any oil could protect against cylinder scuffing if it truly is a problem.

LiquiMoly makes a 10w40 with Mos2 in it
Something to look into
1690097042492.png

Don’t leave it idling. People who start the engine and leave it idling to warm up are the ones who have cylinders scuffing issues. Start it and drive it.

Based on my research,
Amsoil and Red Line.

Red Line seems to be for racing.

Not familiar with HPL but sounds like all expensive oils have a good chunk of moly (dimer) including HPL.

Amsoil is kind of pricey also. I like moly but not that much. lol
I like SS 10W-30 with 4.1 Noack.

When I want a moly oil (for one of my cars only), I use Valvoline EP 5W-30. Good oil and a reasonable price with a good chunk of moly. Not sure if they have a 40 or Euro with moly or not.

Bill7 said:
Nearly every LM oil these days has the grand total of ZERO ppm moly; about the only products LM has with moly are the MoS2 and Ceratec additives, and Molygen oil, which only has around 80ppm, about the same as Mobil 1 0w40. Rdy4War posted several good oils with higher levels of moly.

Nearly every LM oil these days has the grand total of ZERO ppm moly; about the only products LM has with moly are the MoS2 and Ceratec additives, and Molygen oil, which only has around 80ppm, about the same as Mobil 1 0w40. Rdy4War posted several good oils with higher levels of moly.
And the 10W40 with MoS2 posted above. Be curious to see the VOA on that one.

And the 10W40 with MoS2 posted above. Be curious to see the VOA on that one.
Yeah, I’m not familiar with all the LM line, but I think as mentioned by Rdy4War, the 10w40 is using a very dated additive. Sure it will show up in a VOA/UOA, but it likely doesn’t have the same benefits as the Molygen or other MoDTC oils.

well,as i said in another topic,castrol doesn't use castor oil beans anymore:) either.they are just the initial company names they used when they went out in the market for first time.and got their names derived from the most strong element/discovery in their synthesis then.

Back