Higher Molly oils for a Porsche 991 996

My biggest issue with Mobil 1 is lack of moly. Even if it is trimer more effective at low doses it is still quite low.

Mobil1 usually complements molybden with a good amount of boron.

An interesting option might be Ravenol racing oils with street approvals like Ravenol RUP 5w40 - a combination of moly, tungsten, and boron with a robust base oil. I believe Ravenol uses moly trimer like Mobil1 therefore they usually have 100 ppm of molybdenum rather than hundreds of ppm. If Porsche A40 "approval/recommendation" is appreciated then Ravenol VST 5w40 might be interesting.

Mobil1 usually complements molybden with a good amount of boron.

An interesting option might be Ravenol racing oils with street approvals like Ravenol RUP 5w40 - a combination of moly, tungsten, and boron with a robust base oil. I believe Ravenol uses moly trimer like Mobil1 therefore they usually have 100 ppm of molybdenum rather than hundreds of ppm. If Porsche A40 "approval/recommendation" is appreciated then Ravenol VST 5w40 might be interesting.
I haven’t been able to find RUP stateside for awhile, Blauparts has been out of stock forever. When they do have it, it’s up to like $114/5L, and you still have shipping costs as well.

I’d consider it unobtanium at this point, and besides, there’s a certain BITOG sponsor that makes oils that will easily challenge any Ravenol offering on performance, and beat it on price. 😉

I had no idea availability of Ravenol is so bad there, I had no intention of proposing unobtanium.

(HPL products seem to be unobtanium here. I would really love to try HPL Engine Cleaner and I did not manage to find any similar product on the European market).

Last edited:
I had no idea availability of Ravenol is so bad there, I had no intention of proposing unobtanium.

(HPL products seem to be unobtanium here. I would really love to try HPL Engine Cleaner and I did not manage to find any similar product on the European market).

Look for an ester oil on the ravenol website, that will get you close.

And the 10W40 with MoS2 posted above. Be curious to see the VOA on that one.

That one? :unsure:
Liqui Moly MoS2 Leichtlauf 10W-40 - 590 ppm Mo - The 590 ppm of MoS2 is likely no better than ...jpg

Car is a Porsche 991 996.

911 996 or 911 991? Two very different generations.

No amount of additives are going to help with scuffing. Your cylinders will either wander out of round or they wont. Keep the cooling system in good health, install a lower temperature thermostat, and run a 5, 10, or 15W-50.
since as he said his engine is a 5-40 oil, can you please explain why a thicker oil?

interesting.a mechanic i know, we spoke these days, said that all the 4 bmw models had a trouble with turbos.they failed one after the other.so he tried somethings himself because he lost a lot of customers since could not find out what was going wrong. and he finally found out that the oil that was recommended for this model 5-30 was not helping to keep the pressure ,it was too thin.so he tried a 5-50 oil ,eneos he used, and turbos never failed again.
i asked him, aren't you afraid that you are using an oil for your customers cars that it's viscosity is recommended and approved ? and he answered to me, i don't care what bmw says, what i know is that the recommended viscosity is not working ,what i suggested works and customers are happy again.

In such cases sometimes the high viscosity oil is a band-aid for too long OCIs. Moreover, in the European market, the 5w-50 oils were premium oils with high quality of both the base oil and the additives (low Noack, some esters, lots of moly/boron), while in the 5w-30 class some quite popular oils with premium marketing were cost-optimized as much as possible.
I doubt that the engineers in BMW would not notice that 5-30 has too low pressure as such. However, too cost-optimized oil with long OCIs was never a good idea and I bet the owners did not follow the severe use OCI regardless of the way they used the car.

interesting.a mechanic i know, we spoke these days, said that all the 4 bmw models had a trouble with turbos.they failed one after the other.so he tried somethings himself because he lost a lot of customers since could not find out what was going wrong. and he finally found out that the oil that was recommended for this model 5-30 was not helping to keep the pressure ,it was too thin.so he tried a 5-50 oil ,eneos he used, and turbos never failed again.
i asked him, aren't you afraid that you are using an oil for your customers cars that it's viscosity is recommended and approved ? and he answered to me, i don't care what bmw says, what i know is that the recommended viscosity is not working ,what i suggested works and customers are happy again.

In such cases sometimes the high viscosity oil is a band-aid for too long OCIs. Moreover, in the European market, the 5w-50 oils were premium oils with high quality of both the base oil and the additives (low Noack, some esters, lots of moly/boron), while in the 5w-30 class some quite popular oils with premium marketing were cost-optimized as much as possible.
I doubt that the engineers in BMW would not notice that 5-30 has too low pressure as such. However, too cost-optimized oil with long OCIs was never a good idea and I bet the owners did not follow the severe use OCI regardless of the way they used the car.

Both complete tall tales. :censored:

Btw, LL-01 and LL-04 allow for up to 5W-40.

BMW recommended OCI as 30 000 km or 24 months was a reality for many models.

Btw, many Alfa Rome owners found out that they have these options:
- use Selenia oils,
- use higher viscosity than recommended,
- change the oil often.
Many of those who used just the recommended viscosity and who followed the recommended OCI found out that their engine did not like it. Due to this Alfa Romeo gained a low reliability reputation. The explanation was that Selenia oils were handling the dilution by fuel better than other more common oils with the same viscosity. Also tall tales? I do not think so.

Big picture and in general, wasn't it recently established in another thread that thin oil is acceptable for grocery shopping, average Joe, typical daily and low(er) RPM driving ... or for example going to a cafe for refreshments! ;)

BMW or Porsche and low RPMs somehow don't go together ... granted I see a lot of "average" drivers driving one.

are we talking about the same bmw engineers who invented the longlife term? so as you see ,you answer to your own argument!
and yes its a band aid but if the owners paid a lot of money to buy the car they are not responsible and not the ones who will find out and pay for the fault of the bmw engineers. if engineers claim that they cant do anything to fix that then there are 2 solutions: sell the car or band aid. and obviously its the first bmw engine that is not designed correctly.there are a lot of bmw engines from the recent past that failed. and most of them didn't have the choice of a band aid.

Last edited:
Back