High Performance Lubricants PCMO Series

3.5 virgin HTHS doesn’t apply when you’re talking about used oil that’s loaded with sheared VII improvers. That’s when the thin base oil rears it’s ugly head and MOFT is not maintained.
To add, I'd like to know if those trucks that had bearing damage also had neglected OCIs and ran the oil longer than it should have been ran.

Agreed. I am skeptical about this one - both oils are 5W40's with slightly different add packs. The ending used oil viscosity of Rotella 5W40 and various Euro 5W40's are fairly similar.

If the Euro 5W40 is truly solving an issue here, it is being driven by the add pack imo.
Why not the base oil(s)? If nothing else, the base oils are certainly part of the equation.

I have a neighbor that uses Rotella oil in his diesel truck. I dont say a word, because he's stubborn and doesn't listen to anyone anyways. I think he also runs Rotella in his 460 powered truck.

I've learned to just not say a word, people are going to do what they want.

Sadly, this is true. A local engine builder went through over 20 engine failures, changing part manufacturers twice, before finally heeding my advice to switch the oil. No failures since then. Given the year or so of not able to market those engines, the damaged parts and time to repair, pulling time and resources from other projects, etc... I figure he lost (or missed out on) close to $600k in business because he was too stubborn to simply change the oil.

Rotella T6 is now bad? Because it's been a solid player for a long, long time, unless I'm really confused? Hard to believe it is causing massive numbers of failures.

I have a quick question… I have a stash of Premium Plus 0w30 and 5w40. Looking to try 40 weight in my oil burning CR-V, but concerned as we go into winter temps as low as 0F to occasionally -20F in Denver.

Should I switch to 5w40 now, mix in some ratio with 0w30, or stay with 0w30?

Last edited:
I have a quick question… I have a stash of Premium Plus 0w30 and 5w40. Looking to try 40 weight in my oil burning CR-V, but concerned as we go into winter temps as low as 0F to occasionally -20F in Denver.

Should I switch to 5w40 now, mix in some ratio with 0w30, or stay with 0w30?
5w40 is still within its recommended range at -20F. Is the vehicle garaged or outdoors at those temps?

The PP PCMO 0w-30 has a pour point of -72F, and the 5w-40 has a pour point of -67. So about 5 degrees difference, though maybe pour point isn't enough of an indicator to determine extreme cold performance.

Doesn’t help the burning issue.
But who is to say the 5w40 will help "enough" with burning.

I have been in those temps, and much colder, with cold starts, i ran 5w30 in my 5.3 tahoe, and it made a terrible racket. 0w30, no racket.

maybe a 0w40 might be better?

I would rather burn more and have a smoother startup, but thatbis just my opinion

The PP PCMO 0w-30 has a pour point of -72F, and the 5w-40 has a pour point of -67. So about 5 degrees difference, though maybe pour point isn't enough of an indicator to determine extreme cold performance.
Pour point has nothing to do with cold starting and oil pumpability. That's what the 'W" rating is for, to determine what multi-viscosity oil to use based on the coldest expected cold start-up temperature.

Last edited:
I ordered this box of 12 quarts on Tuesday, got it today which is impressive since I live north of the border and that only took 3 days. Mary was a pleasure to deal with, I wanted two different types and she had no problem sending the mixed order across while also looking for a cheaper shipping option. Service like this builds a lifetime customer!

Anyway, I normally prefer a thicker oil in the summer while towing, hence the 5w-30 no vii, but I'm hearing a slight knock on a cold start at idle which the dealer said "is normal" and another mechanic said "change your oil back to spec and we'll listen again". So here I am, I'll be running the 5w-20 for the winter where its just on passenger car duty but will move back to the no vii 5w-30 for next summer (more than likely as I have no faith in the oil being the issue) when RV season picks up again. Worth mentioning that the noise I hear has been there probably since new, and has done it on several different oil brands (just want to be clear that I'm not suggesting the noise is due to HPL, the mechanic is concerned about the weight itself not the formula).

During a hot idle there is no sound whatsoever, it's buttery smooth. It's not an exhaust leak, this is more of a knock and less of a tick. My guess is piston slap?

hpl.jpg

I ordered this box of 12 quarts on Tuesday, got it today which is impressive since I live north of the border and that only took 3 days. Mary was a pleasure to deal with, I wanted two different types and she had no problem sending the mixed order across while also looking for a cheaper shipping option. Service like this builds a lifetime customer!

Anyway, I normally prefer a thicker oil in the summer while towing, hence the 5w-30 no vii, but I'm hearing a slight knock on a cold start at idle which the dealer said "is normal" and another mechanic said "change your oil back to spec and we'll listen again". So here I am, I'll be running the 5w-20 for the winter where its just on passenger car duty but will move back to the no vii 5w-30 for next summer (more than likely as I have no faith in the oil being the issue) when RV season picks up again. Worth mentioning that the noise I hear has been there probably since new, and has done it on several different oil brands (just want to be clear that I'm not suggesting the noise is due to HPL, the mechanic is concerned about the weight itself not the formula).

During a hot idle there is no sound whatsoever, it's buttery smooth. It's not an exhaust leak, this is more of a knock and less of a tick. My guess is piston slap?

View attachment 179905
Could also be the exhaust manifold starting to leak, they don't always tick, sometimes they sound more like a knock, depending. But yeah, could also be slap, but slap tends to be pretty consistent, regardless of oil selection. Good thing is that it's harmless.

Could also be the exhaust manifold starting to leak, they don't always tick, sometimes they sound more like a knock, depending. But yeah, could also be slap, but slap tends to be pretty consistent, regardless of oil selection. Good thing is that it's harmless.
I had that tick with my 95 pathfinder when the manifold bolt heads snapped off and caused the mainfolds to warp. I bought the car used that the problem after I bought it. First thought it was lifter tick and had lifters replaced, but in the end it didn't fix the problem.

Not that it is relevant to this discussion, but I ended up putting thorly headers on and the tick went away. A little more power, but better mpg. Couldn't complain.

Maybe a flick. Or a snap. Might be a tap.

And some people don't think that HTHS and MOFT headroom matters ... 😄
That is crazy wear - WTH are they running the engine at? Would any **w-50 have held up?
Which reminds me of the SFR thread - the pics show metal to metal galling/grinding due to the oil film being negligible at WOT or some such. This seems to make a case for oils that do well in the ball friction test or V block.
I run the 1971 413 in the pic at WOT for 5-10 minutes at a time with Castrol 20w-50 and glowing manifolds, as I'm sure the previous owner had. That's how we get up hills. Last I looked 2 years ago the one cap/shell I pulled was fine, and I'll be replacing the rear seal soon so I'll look again.
This sort of thing makes me question ever switching away from dino 20-50 unless data shows that any 10w-40 will hold up better and keep the journals off the shells...

Back