Hi. My name is Brian and I am a motor oil hoarding addict.

I buy as-needed from FCP Euro and my 3x Euro cars' oil changes are 100% free 100% of the time. Why have inventory? The other 2 vehicles get Wally ST so again no reason to have stock. 5x vehicles and ~45 qts/yr. I get prices have risen so that ST at Wally could have been bought ahead of need but tine value of money probably still says better to buy as-needed.

I buy as-needed from FCP Euro and my 3x Euro cars' oil changes are 100% free 100% of the time. Why have inventory? The other 2 vehicles get Wally ST so again no reason to have stock. 5x vehicles and ~45 qts/yr. I get prices have risen so that ST at Wally could have been bought ahead of need but tine value of money probably still says better to buy as-needed.
So you "buy" from FCP Euro, but the changes are free? Not sure I understand what that means.

If you're buying oil at regular price, or even with a decent rebate, then yes, I agree no need to really have a stash of more than maybe one oil change.
Even with the recent price increase of oil, it is not that much of a savings overall.

You need to remember that many here that have stashes do so because they bought oil for pennies on the dollar.
For my current stash, my cost is $64.
For most, that would mean they have 15-20 quarts of synthetic oil.
For me, that is 118 quarts of synthetic.

So you "buy" from FCP Euro, but the changes are free? Not sure I understand what that means.

If you're buying oil at regular price, or even with a decent rebate, then yes, I agree no need to really have a stash of more than maybe one oil change.
Even with the recent price increase of oil, it is not that much of a savings overall.

You need to remember that many here that have stashes do so because they bought oil for pennies on the dollar.
He may be taking advantage of FCP euro's guarantee that allows you to return broken/worn out parts for full refund.

Believe it or not you can return used oil to them for a full refund. Of course you will have to pay shipping if you aren't local so there is cost to that.

Last time I was at FCP Euro in person, a guy walked in with just of used oil and a filter to return for a full refund.

Quite a few threads on the subject of FCP free returns. E.g. FCP thread

He may be taking advantage of FCP euro's guarantee that allows you to return broken/worn out parts for full refund.

Believe it or not you can return used oil to them for a full refund. Of course you will have to pay shipping if you aren't local so there is cost to that.

Last time I was at FCP Euro in person, a guy walked in with just of used oil and a filter to return for a full refund.
Interesting concept.

Interesting concept.
I took advantage of it when a control arm snapped when my wife had an unfortunate encounter with a curb.
I was NOT going to take advantage of it because it was clearly our fault and had nothing to do with the part of FCP.
When I went on to order a replacement, they had a page about how eager they were for people to use the policy. They mentioned they didn't care if the parts were worn out because they were used in racing for example. or an accident... So I did it. I shipped the broken pieces back.. The new part was "free" so in the end the replacement was really about 60% off because I had to ship the old part back.

and of course.. nothing is really free. part of the funding of this replacement program is built into pricing i'm sure.

I do their world-famous Lifetime Replacement Guarantee (this isn't a warranty per say - it's set up just for what it says...buy once and get replacements for free for life) for all my consumables and that includes oil change kits for my 3 VWs. I use PayPal so I get the return shipping for free as well.

My wife said that I have an oil hoarding problem and that I need help. Confession is apparently the first step of the recovery process.

I have 130 quarts in storage. Between our two cars, we typically use about 25 quarts a year. That would mean I only have a 5 year stash, which I feel is not enough.

Any others out there that wish to join me in this "Motor Oil Hoarders Anonymous" meeting? :)
You`re in the right forum. Keep up the good work.

I used to be really bad at 20 something jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, then bought a new car that used 0W20 and I went what do I do now? My sons 2AZ-FE Solara is what happened and 5 years later it is all gone. Upside, his engine only needs around 1/4 quart top up every 5000 now.

Just traded off my entire stash... Bored with my inventory maybe.

I'm telling myself I'll be more selective in the future. I lie to myself a lot.

So as I read it, some folks do this almost for fun/the thrill of getting a deal? Not judging, just noting it.

I have a ton of oil for OPE as I use it heavily. But cars not so much. Things change and now I buy a few weeks before I need it. No advantage hoarding oil that may not be applicable to a new ride.

So as I read it, some folks do this almost for fun/the thrill of getting a deal? Not judging, just noting it.
For some it is.
I admit there is a "thrill" getting a deal sometimes, but there have been many deals I have passed on since I just don't need the oil (saw some 0w-16 on clearance for a dollar a qt at Walmart, but passed since I have no need, same for some 20w-50 for almost free).
I have a ton of oil for OPE as I use it heavily. But cars not so much. Things change and now I buy a few weeks before I need it. No advantage hoarding oil that may not be applicable to a new ride.
I guess if you change vehicles often enough it could be an issue.
I have had the same truck and car since 2012 ('02 F150 and '12 Scion), and added 2 vehicles ('18 Santa Fe and '04 Sonata).
I also have no plans to buy anything in the next 5 years that requires anything newer than API SN and I have no issue going a weight above or below what is "recommended" by manufactures.
My stash of xw-20, xw-30 and xw-40, all SN or SN+, will be perfectly fine for my uses for quite a while.

As I mentioned before, I will be needing to buy some oil very soon for my Goldwing (decided to not use the Rotella 0w-40 I have in my stash in it), and am hoping for the next Mobil rebate to start tomorrow, otherwise I will have to pay full price (first time is years to pay full price on oil) on the Mobil 1 HM 10w-40 that I want for it.

Realistically spending $64 to buy 114 qt of oil (or whatever that total was) on oil deals is likely less harmful than spending that time at a craps table.
Of course....but this, while being a great "deal", also had a cost in time that isn't factored in to get those deals/rebates/etc. And storing 114 qt of oil?

I typically do oil hoarding when I can get some really good scores such as ~$2/qt or le$$, for name brand(or store brand) full synthetic grades that I can actually use in my vehicles or my OPE.

Lately, I've been snagging some individual qts & 5qt jugs before the prices skyrocket out of control. If someone gives me a W*M or AAP GC, I will do this as well.

Where I once paid $20-$25/12qt box for the SuperTech Full Synthetic, it's now ~$50 locally. I watched the price slowly going up.
Maybe online they're better priced but even(locally) the ST FS 5qt jugs are $20/jug for the 10K mile syn & $26/jug for the 20K mile syn.

So, I've been using my AAP $peedPerk$Reward$ and buying some OCI bundles w/filter. But, I'm still looking for those good scores.

Back