Hi. My name is Brian and I am a motor oil hoarding addict.

I buy one year worth of oil and filters at a time. Not too exciting but it works.

Reactions: JC1
I have 4 5-quart jugs of Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w-30 and 20+ gallons of 5w-40 and 15w-40 HDEO, mostly Rotella T4, T5, T6, some Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40, and a gallon of Delo 400 SDE 15w-40.

The Pennzoil is for our GMC Envoy. I don't want to run the HDEO in it as it is such an oil burner and I don't want it to take out the catalyst any faster than need be. I know we need to either fix or replace it, but unfortunately due to monetary concerns, that is not really in the cards right now. The HDEO will be run in the Caravan and Blazer as either use maybe 1 qt of oil over a 5k OCI. The Envoy goes through a qt every couple hundred miles.

I got 4 gallons of delvac 15w40c 2 12 quart boxes of m1 0w40 a quart of esp 5w30 and a 5 qt jug of m1 AP 5w30. And one can of m1 5w30 from 1984 api SF lol

Not a bad idea at all. With today's crude oil prices soaring to almost $100 a barrel, there is a big chance that car engine oil prices will rise. Plus, the shelf life of those oils is too long at least 5 years and you can go longer. Its a win win for you.

I don't really hoard oil, but I like to have at least a couple oil changes worth of oil around. 4 jugs of Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 for the Tuscon and maybe 2 or 3 jugs of Mobil 1 0w40 for the FRS. Not loyal to Mobil, it just happened to be on sale at the time. When it comes to oil filters I usually have one or two ready to go for each car as well.

If your vehicle(s) requires a very specific and hard-to-find type of oil, I can understand someone seriously stocking up, especially when they find a good deal. But if your vehicle(s) runs a garden variety oil that is literally everywhere, IMO there's no sense in keeping more than ~~2 years' supply. (An addict's behavior rarely makes sense anyway lol.) And even with "only" a 2-year supply of oil, there will definitely be a sale (or two) during that period where you can stock up again... I never pay full price for oil anymore. Currently I have 3 jugs/15 quarts of oil (2 PP, 1 Napa FS) that will last me a couple years, maybe more.

If your vehicle(s) requires a very specific and hard-to-find type of oil, I can understand someone seriously stocking up, especially when they find a good deal. But if your vehicle(s) runs a garden variety oil that is literally everywhere, IMO there's no sense in keeping more than ~~2 years' supply. (An addict's behavior rarely makes sense anyway lol.) And even with "only" a 2-year supply of oil, there will definitely be a sale (or two) during that period where you can stock up again... I never pay full price for oil anymore. Currently I have 3 jugs/15 quarts of oil (2 PP, 1 Napa FS) that will last me a couple years, maybe more.
Times they are a-changing. Since the great CQ blowout there hasn't been a real deal.

I don't count the WM glitch - at 70¢ per jug I bought everything they'd sell me.

I have 10 and 1/2 5-quart jugs on-hand at this moment, consisting of 0W-40 and 5W-30. That ought to do for 2 to 3 years. Filters, too.

Times they are a-changing. Since the great CQ blowout there hasn't been a real deal.

I don't count the WM glitch - at 70¢ per jug I bought everything they'd sell me.
Maybe not, but, I got a jug of Napa FS 5w30 for $12 just a few months ago.
Yeah that is a glitch for sure! Just wow. Nice score.

Saw this thread and had to go to the garage and get a count. Best I could tell I have ~260 quarts. I may not have more than everyone else but I've probably got some of the oldest. I've got a few quarts (cardboard cans) of Castrol GTX 20w50 that I used to run in a motorcycle that I bought probably around 1984-1985. The 10w40 I'm running in my cars varies in age from 15-25 years old. Then I have some that varies in age from about 1-10 years old. Oil is like whiskey the older it gets the better.

I am down to "only" 118 or so quarts.
I change oil on 9 vehicles, but most are changed about once a year. I have maybe 3 years of oil right now.

I really don't plan on buying any more unless it is "free" (clearance with rebate and such).

Once the stash is gone, I will just stick with whatever is cheapest at Walmart for 4 wheel vehicles.
Motorcycles, I will stick with Mobil 1 10w-40 HM (will buy whenever they have rebates).

My wife said that I have an oil hoarding problem and that I need help. Confession is apparently the first step of the recovery process.

I have 130 quarts in storage. Between our two cars, we typically use about 25 quarts a year. That would mean I only have a 5 year stash, which I feel is not enough.

Any others out there that wish to join me in this "Motor Oil Hoarders Anonymous" meeting? :)
You're still safe, she's worried for nothing 🤣
I'm sitting on 664 quarts of 0w-20, 5w-20, and 5w-30...🤦🏼‍♂️

In my defense though, I maintain 6 vehicles and more importantly I got 500 quarts of that in The Great Walmart Sale of 2021. How could I pass that one up 🤷🏼‍♂️

Attachments

• 20210905_184814.jpg
    20210905_184814.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210901_172807.jpg
    20210901_172807.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 74
I don't blame you guys for hoarding. Oil prices up here in the great white north aka Canada are going up. I personally don't have the space for hoards that large. I'm still using up my 8 jug stash from Black Friday in 2019.

I don't blame you guys for hoarding. Oil prices up here in the great white north aka Canada are going up. I personally don't have the space for hoards that large. I'm still using up my 8 jug stash from Black Friday in 2019.
Some people have oil in the foyer and tires in their bathtub.

I just use my attic as backstock and keep an oil change per car on the shelf in the garage.

My wife thinks I'm crazy every time I buy oil cuz it was a good price. I usually only keep 20 to 30 quarts on hand for two vehicles. She really thought I was nuts when the big Rock Auto box showed up with 20 oil filters for my Focus. And I was able to sneak a 12 quart box of Mobil 1HM 5w30 when I was at Walmart last night buying pull-ups. She doesn't know about that one yet. I will continue buying when I see a good deal, oil prices are going to keep going up.

Guess I'm the lowest on the totem pole as I currently have maybe ONE quart just to top off a bit if needed between changes that I no longer do. Thought about going the 5 qt jug route, but at my rate of use that would sit around for years. Would rather spend on my green coffee stash as that really pays off over time. Yes, I'm an espresso/roasting addict and gladly so!

I’m probably at about 100 qts of oil and 20 qts of transmission fluid. Most oil is Mobil 1 HM, with some leftover M1HM 10w30 I used when I had my Caprice. There’s a gallon or two of Rotella 15w40, and 5 gallons of Mystik JT8 15w50 syn blend. I have 5 qts of circa 2004 Castrol 20w50 as well. have about 10 gallons of coolant (Mopar red, Toyota red, classic green). As far as filters, I have about 14 old V8 filters (Auto Xtra, Pro Tec, Baldwin), 7-8 Mobil 1 filters for non-Chevy GM V8s, and 50 Fram Ultra FPS5’s for small block Chevy. My wife and I have 8 vehicles, with another likely being added soon.

Back